I'm confused, can I get the education discount as a secondary student?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by crumb963, Jun 23, 2011.

1. crumb963 macrumors member

I found "If you are a student, teacher, lecturer, administrator or other staff member in education you qualify for special discounted pricing on Apple computers, software and select third party products" on http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/education_routing?mco=OTY2ODQzMg

There is a option for regular/secondary schools on the above link too. Apple deny this completely on Live Chat, however and say that this is only available to people 18 years or over.
    Please help,
    Luke.

2. dgbowers macrumors member

dgbowers

If you go to an apple store, they ask you for your University ID. It's only for college students and educators.

3. crumb963, Jun 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2011

crumb963 thread starter macrumors member

I'm ordering online, where the option for 'School' discount is available for students, explain please?

Also, interestingly, an Apple Genius said I (secondary student) was eligible for a discount, and that I just needed to prove that I attended said school, online or in store.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

In the US store it specifically states that you must be a college student, educator or staff. Though educators and staff is for any level. On the UK site I did not see this qualifier at least on the page linked or when clicking the school option.

Why not just try and make the order online. It's not like they're going to bust into your house and beat you with a rubber hose. The worst they will do is say no.

By the way just noticed no free iPod deal. Instead just some weak App Store gift card.

5. dgbowers macrumors member

dgbowers

This is from Apple's education website. It's only for college students or teachers, administrators, staff and board members of any institution.

Attached Files:

6. crumb963 thread starter macrumors member

Mine looks different, I get university, college or just regular school, Student status is said to be accepted at all links, the Ts and Cs also say that I need to be 'accepted into an educational establishment', which I am. This is apple UK and I suspect that after reading the Terms, I should be ok. Any catch?

I'll post a screenshot tomorrow, if you want it, MacRumors won't let me upload from an IPad.

7. crumb963 thread starter macrumors member

There we go. I'm looking at the 'School' option.

Attached Files:

8. dgbowers macrumors member

dgbowers

Well, I guess you just follow the steps. I only know the process for the US education discount.

9. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

You should get a modest discount, eg base MBP goes to £940 instead of £999. There is no free warranty as a school pupil. Ordering online is easy, as secondary school pupils don't tend to carry ID cards to prove their status in store. It should be fine, it says "school" and you are at school.

According to Apple's BTS terms and conditions you must be 18 or over to get the £65 gift card. See here. So you may not get that.

Details on UK discounts here.

10. crumb963 thread starter macrumors member

Not really bothered about the gift card, I'm already getting Word 2011 from my Dad from someone at work who can get it for less than £10 legally. I usually game on my itouch 3G (if at all) or on my ipod. May get a few games/apps however, using my own cash on the App Store, anywho.

Thanks guys!

Luke.