Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Seriously, weather and stocks? I have better apps for that in the first place, and I'm sick of getting tempted to jailbreak to get something so basic.

There should have been a Toggle widget and at least 10 other widgets to choose from when the Notifications Panel launched.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Seriously, weather and stocks? I have better apps for that in the first place, and I'm sick of getting tempted to jailbreak to get something so basic.

There should have been a Toggle widget and at least 10 other widgets to choose from when the Notifications Panel launched.

I agree, the lack of widgets is disappointing, but I am sure this will be more in future updates. Just wish we could download some better widgets from iTunes.

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011

Seems like something that will be added in 5.1 or 5.2. I don't think you'll be missing it for long.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
I agree, the lack of widgets is disappointing, but I am sure this will be more in future updates. Just wish we could download some better widgets from iTunes.
I'm just shocked at the lack of customization. I thought Apple would put more work into this panel.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
we have been missing it for years. jailbreaking has given us that for years android has it for years apple still lagging behind.

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
we have been missing it for years. jailbreaking has given us that for years android has it for years apple still lagging behind.

You say that like they don't know about it or they are incapable of doing it themselves. They simply do not want to do it. It adds complication, and it adds clutter to the user interface, which they planly do not want to do.

I'm all for it, but of they put top many things on it starts looking like Android. And they don't want that.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
You say that like they don't know about it or they are incapable of doing it themselves. They simply do not want to do it. It adds complication, and it adds clutter to the user interface, which they planly do not want to do.

I'm all for it, but of they put top many things on it starts looking like Android. And they don't want that.
Hate to break it to you, but the Notification Panel was entirely taken from Android, so yes, they don't seem to care if it looks like Android because now it does.

What they seem to care about is making sure people only get a handful of features at a time so they keep buying the new phone as they roll them out.

gnagy

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2009
Hate to break it to you, but the Notification Panel was entirely taken from Android, so yes, they don't seem to care if it looks like Android because now it does.

What they seem to care about is making sure people only get a handful of features at a time so they keep buying the new phone as they roll them out.

iOS 5 already has so many features that people are confused by it. The power of the iPhone was the simplicity. The more features they add the more nerds will like it, but the general public will like it less. It's impossible to please everyone with just one product.

You probably should jailbreak or get an Android phone.

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida

You don't understand.

idkmybffjon

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
if you add anymore widgets than there already are you're going to have a serious problem, people won't see their notifications. its called notification center and NOT dashboard for a reason.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
You don't understand.
Don't understand what? Enlighten me.

----------

if you add anymore widgets than there already are you're going to have a serious problem, people won't see their notifications. its called notification center and NOT dashboard for a reason.
What are you talking about? You can already take away and add the existing widgets back in as you please, and the Toggle widget should have been one of them, along with giving every app you install the ability to add a widget to notification panel at the user's discretion.

Come on guys, you're acting like Apple is doing the best it can when really, by the 5th iteration of the OS, there should be more functionality in that panel than Weather and Stocks, and we shouldn't have to wait for 5.1 or iOS 6 to get it.

macbook pro i5

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2011
New Zealand
I'm just shocked at the lack of customization. I thought Apple would put more work into this panel.

I totally agree with you but if they have added weather and stock i think other widgets are possible check these site out
-http://9to5mac.com/2011/06/23/iphone-patent-points-to-third-party-widgets-in-ios-5-notification-center/

MisterDisney

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
Apple probably feels that they manage the battery and various battery intensive services well enough within the OS that it's not necessary.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Apple probably feels that they manage the battery and various battery intensive services well enough within the OS that it's not necessary.
Possibly, but as the above patent suggests, they know they can't craft an OS that will make everybody happy unless the user gets more control.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

It is a notification panel not a widget toggle panel

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Young Spade said:

All of this. They are not going to convolute the notification screen just because a small percentage of people want toggles. Those are things most people will never need access to on a regular basis. Before it ever gets added it would have to be done in a way that was not confusing or cluttering.

Apple has a strong core sense for the essentially usability. At times this might decrease some advanced functionality.

Seriously though the average user never needs to toggle those things and most of those who do don't do it very often. I realize a tiny subset of users might have a desire for that functionality but that is not how apple works

mtnDewFTW

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2009
San Francisco, CA
I agree. I would really love to have the WiFi on and off switch there, but if they were to add that, they would need some kind of a panel to put all the networks in, which would make the whole thing long and confusing. I'm sure they didn't do it for cosmetic reasons. It would clutter the space too much

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Nah, on android phones the wifi switch just turns on/off wifi, and then your phone would automatically join whatever networks you had saved on your phone already.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
I think they should add it in the multitask bar/tray. Maybe swipe to the right twice. I don't want the notification bar to get too cluttered and it'll be out of the way for most people who don't need it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.