I'm feeling a little hungry and foolish, can you help me?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by 802.11mac, Oct 3, 2011.

1. 802.11mac, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011

802.11mac macrumors member

802.11mac

I've been planning on buying the new iMac for quite some time now but needed some few things sorted out first before proceeding. Im a PC guy all my life and this will be my first Mac computer. i really wanted to have the SSD upgrade but im not sure im willing to pay the extra high price so i'll probably get the cheapest iMac with 500GB hard drive and just buy a cheaper SSD. But before i do that i just want to make sure it can be done. i want the SSD to be the main drive for the OS and apps while the hard drive for backing up files only. although i've already read posts that it can be done on the 27" model, i still wanted to make sure it's possible on 21.5" base model. :) So, is it possible? Any guides/links showing how to do this? Can you recommend any SSD brand? Can i also upgrade the graphics card?

Any help will be highly appreciated.

2. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

3. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

I agree with Tom, just get the machine with the SSD installed. It's not a trivial task to install a SSD and you may jeopardize the warranty. It's simply not worth the risk if those things matter to you.

4. 802.11mac thread starter macrumors member

802.11mac

5. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Good call, I'd probably do the same.

As for the graphics, it's a no-go. iMacs use mobile graphics chipsets so it's not like there's a PCI-e card in there you can just swap out.

6. 802.11mac thread starter macrumors member

802.11mac

based on your replies i assume that it's possible to install a non-apple SSD to the new 2011 iMac 21.5"?

7. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

yes

8. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

You might be able to find a refurbished unit with it. I purchased the 27" i7 with the SSD via the Refurb Apple Store and saved $600 over new.

9. namethisfile, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011

namethisfile macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

can u just plug in an imac in the philippines on the wall without a transformer?

i used to live there and remember having to deal with transformers.

and to answer your question, ssd BTO is too much. after-market is the way to go and since you're a tech, it should be a breeze for you to do this and if you're worried about voiding warranty, then i would just hold on to the original hdd and put it back in and cross-fingers that apple or 3rd partry techs will overlook the fact that you might have taken out the original hdd. i think that the only way they would know that you self-installed an aftermarket hdd is if they are super stringent inspecting the adhesives that are needed such as the temp sensors, etc. that will lose it's adhesiveness once you take them out the first time. but, then again, like you've mentioned, a techie person wanting ssd is a different story.

after-market ssd's will also not support trim for some reason. but, it's not stopping anyone else from doing this so i think the trim support issue is not a big deal or they might have hacked it to support trim via some other way.

i think the easiest way to keep warranty and have ssd in imacs is the BTO. it's easier to put ssd's in the mac pro's, mac mini's and macbook pro lines. but, the imac is harder without obvious warranty-voiding steps. but, the imac already has fast 7200rpm hdd's that an ssd is really just an enthusiast option. not for mainstream.

the 27" imac will support a hdd and an ssd and an optical disk drive. but, i think, the 21.5" imac will only have space for an ssd if you take out the optical. either ways is a chore, which is why i mentioned BTO is the easiest way but at a premium. unless, you just wanna do a simple swap. i think there are threads for this if you search it.

update: just checked the apple store and it looks like there is a BTO for a mechanical hdd and an ssd for the 21.5" imac. so...

10. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

This is a great title - well done OP. I hope everyone gets the reference.

11. 802.11mac thread starter macrumors member

802.11mac

according to http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html: