I'm finally apart of the iPad family, a few questions

Discussion in 'iPad' started by huskerwr38, Oct 23, 2011.

1. huskerwr38 macrumors member

I bought my iPad from best buy and opted for the accident protection. So if I drop it, spill on it, or it has a defective battery I can exchange it for a new one. If they don't have any ipad 2's when the iPad 3 comes out then I will get a new iPad 3. Also if I never use the coverage I get 70% back. Sounds like a good deal right? Anyone have any experience with this...actually damaging their iPad and returning it for a new one?

Also, what are some good cases for it?

I'm planning on mainly using it for reading my text books for school, web browsing, apps, media, educational, and fun. I already have Skype, dropbox, iBooks, Hulu, Netflix, imdb, google earth, Facebook, flipboard, and tweet cast. Any other must have apps, free or paid. Thanks!

2. gloomcookie1 macrumors regular

Welcome to the iPad family :D

A couple great apps is Zinio for magazine subscriptions - been using the app since 2004 - which means that it's viewable on a Mac, PC, iPad or iPhone - which preserves your mags for a long time.

The ABC app is really nice - one of the best tv channel apps and has been since the release of the iPad.

There is an app I just got yesterday called Color Uncovered which is a great and free interactive book.

Hope you enjoy your new iPad :apple:

3. palpatine macrumors 68040

GoodReader, iAnnotate, and PDF Expert are great for reading PDFs. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. It depends on what you want to do with them.

4. shortcrust macrumors 6502

They will have iPad 2s to replace it with even after the Ipad 3 is out. If they started handing Ipad 3s there would be a sudden mysterious rush of damaged iPad 2s. They're not daft.;)

5. AirForceOne macrumors member

Crackle is a great free app for first rate movies and TV shows like Seinfeld. TBS also has an app for even more Seinfeld. I also use TNT app and ABC player

If you have HBO or Cinemax subscriptions, HBOGO and MaxGo are a must.

You can pair Google voice and a free app called Talkatone and make free phone calls on your iPad(even if it's wifi only)

CNBC app is awesome for live stocks

Fox News, CNN and USAToday are great news apps

For Sports I use Yahoo Sportacular and ESPN's ScorecenterXL

For photos I use Photobucket, Flickr and Dropbox

Waze for free voice turn by turn navigation and Trapster to not get tickets hopefully

For music I use Slacker and TuneIn Radio(local radio stations), I use an app calleed Planetary for listening to my music and looking at cool animations. I use Stitcher for podcasts.

Shopping is use Ebay, Amazon, Home Depot and AutoZone. I use the Walgreens app to scan in my prescrption refills.

And for weather I use The Weather Channel. They just released a really cool update with weather animations and push severe weather alerts.

For browsers I use Photon(which can play Flash) and Atomic for it's many features.

6. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

My most often used app is TapaTalk, awesome forum browsing app. Netflix and crackle are good video apps. ESPN to go is great if you cable provider is affiliated.

My case is a Marware CEO Hybrid. It's done it's job well protecting from a couple of drops.

7. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

I agree. They definently will have some ipad2 models left in reserve for the few who make a claim on their warranties. They probably just told you that in order to persuade you into buying their warranty.

Anyway, Welcome to the IPad family! You'll have no problem learning the ropes.

8. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Depends on who you ask. At the very least supply what type of case you're looking for and budget. Have you looked at any of the existing case threads?

Like your case question, this is also highly subjective. Try reading the iPad apps subforum. There are plenty of must have and best lists if you're so inclined to use such blind recommendations.

9. Jing-leBelle macrumors newbie

10. huskerwr38 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up returning the accident coverage to best buy and opted for the MUCH cheaper and better Squaretrade coverage. I read lots of bad reviews of BBs customer service when doing a claim. Squaretrade will give you a check four the purchase price if you ruin your iPad.

11. doboy macrumors 68000

Wise choice.

12. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

For a cover or case, I really like the combination of a smart cover and a suede jacket sleeve from sfbags.com http://sfbags.com/products/ipad-cases/suedejacket-ipad.php

Some may not like the smart cover for its lack of protection for the back, and some also may not be fond of using a sleeve as an extra [sort of 2nd] cover. But I don't drop my iPad, and the combination works really well for me. I also really like it just because I have a matching sleeve for my MBPro.

(I hope this doesn't come off as spam-ish. I don't work for sfbags - this is just my personal recommendation.)

13. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

Do you have to have the subscriptions in order to view most of it's content?

14. huskerwr38 thread starter macrumors member

No I don't think so. I downloaded it and so far I've been able to access all of it's content.