Im getting upset. How do I get my phone number off my wife's devices?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by enzo thecat, Sep 22, 2012.

1. enzo thecat macrumors 6502

enzo thecat

My phone number and email keeps getting activated on my wife's Iphone and Ipad for imessage and/or facetime. I can uncheck them, but they are still available in the devices. Then, I'll get a message on my phone saying that her Ipad/Iphone is using my number or email for imessage or facetime. I can't figure out how to get them out of her devices.
    Also, her phone number and email are on my devices. I dont want them there. I dont want to spy on her or ever be tempted to. If I'd activate these, I'd be able to see all of her imessages and facetime calls.

This has to be a problem for a lot of others out there.

Is there anyone that can tell me how to get these unwanted numbers and emails off of the devices?

Thanks

e

2. armyxrays macrumors member

Settings messages send and receive. From there select the email you want to remove. Once you click on it you will see the option to remove it.

3. enzo thecat thread starter macrumors 6502

enzo thecat

No. That isnt working for all applications. Like the ipad. I can not remove my number from her setting>imessage. I can uncheck it. But can not remove it. Same with my email on imessage in her iphone. Same with my phone number on her facetime.

4. dotme macrumors 6502a

5. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I can't believe people are still doing this. You can share an Apple ID for a store account but make different ones for iCloud.

6. tdar macrumors 6502a

Yeah they are. I don't know why Apple has not made it clear that if you are a multi iPhone or iPad (or now mac) family, that each user needs their own apple id. You can share an iTunes /app store id but not icloud.

7. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

Apple ID and iMessage userid can be two separate things.

My wife and kids all use my Apple ID for sharing apps. But we each have our own iMessage userid's which get entered in the Messages section of settings.

Dad@me.com
    Mom@me.com
    Son@me.com

Get it? This way you share the apps and each get your own text privacy.

BJ

8. 87am macrumors regular

This exactly the solution, but I see countless threads where people are having this issue and I expect countless more. I was always a big proponent of Apple allowing us to merge account (icloud/itunes) but now that I realize how much this sharing is common it was probably good foresight on their part to separate the accounts.

9. funkeruski macrumors regular

I have these same issue. Only have one iCloud account for both phones. If I set up another iCloud account for my wife, will she still be able to download music and video that I buy off iTunes? I hope so.

10. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

I do something similar, but I share the apple ID only for itunes, which lets me share apps. I use seperate icloud accounts for my me and mywife, and haven't had any imessage issues then.

11. tdar macrumors 6502a

You can use one apple id for icloud and another apple id for iTunes/appstore

----------

Agreed. But it is Apple's fault that we have countless threads on this as they do not explain how to do it right. Those of us who have done it that way had someone else tell us about it or have figured it out ourselves, we should not have to do that.

12. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

Settings > Store both of you put in the same Apple ID

Settings > iMessage each of you put in a different iCloud ID

Apple ID and iCloud ID are different things and get entered in different places in Settings. You can have 10 iCloud ID's and only 1 Apple ID.

BJ

13. funkeruski macrumors regular

I assume that if I get a new iCloud account for my wife, we would have two photo streams? The way I have it set up now, when I take a pic it shows up on her phone an vice versa. I actually like this because it makes adding all these photos to my MacBook hard drive via photostream very easy.

14. leenak macrumors 68020

Wonder how many divorces/grounded kids this is going to cause as a result...

15. magicbrain macrumors regular

stop getting upset. think. google :)
    (or just go to contacts app, scroll to the very top)

16. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

The core of the problem is that the Apple ID populates the iMessage userid field in Settings during setup so it implies that they are one and the same. People don't realize that they can be different addresses and that you can overtype the userid in iMessage setup.

BJ

17. JDBaughman macrumors newbie

@BJ

Good advice! You made it simple an easy to understand... I never knew you could do that?!

18. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

My wife and I shared an Apple ID for the fertility calculator app but I had a unique iMessage ID for sexting with my mistress.

Once you set it up right it's not as bad as it sounds.

BJ

19. musiciscool macrumors regular

You can set up the same icloud account for apps you want synced together like calendars, itunes, family email, address book, notifications, find your phone etc. Then set up a separate apple ID on each phone for personal texts, emails, etc.

20. enzo thecat thread starter macrumors 6502

enzo thecat

THIS is wha I need to do then. Because we need to share our calendars. So how is this done. I have already taken the advice here And made her her own iCloud account an associated it to her devices. Mao how do we share calendars now?

Ps... I just looked at my iPhone And can not had her iCloud ID without deleting mine. At least I can't figure out how to do it. I'd really appreciate if someone could explain this to me.

21. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

You can actually add multiple iCloud accounts to one device. My wife and I also share calendars so my iCloud account is on her iPhone and iPad but only for calendars, Find My iPhone, and Photo Stream. She has her iCloud account on both devices for Safari bookmarks and contacts. She only uses iMessage on her phone so only her phone number is activated.

22. enzo thecat thread starter macrumors 6502

enzo thecat

Please tell me how to do THIS. I should be able to figure everything out once I know how to add multiple icloud accounts to one device at the same time.

23. dotme macrumors 6502a

Here's what I would suggest. Log into iCloud from your computer using a browser. Go to your calendar. Share your calendar with your wife. She will get an email with your share link. She clicks the link, and your calendar is added to her device. It's simple and easy.

24. HXGuy macrumors 68000

Easy.

Go to Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calendars and then Add Account...

Tap on iCloud and enter the other iCloud you want to enter. Then, you can select which items from the iCloud account you want to appear on your phone.

25. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

i knew this option existed but didn't switch over as I assumed the recipient could view but not necessarily edit the calendar--is this possible via sharing as we both need to be able to add to or edit events on the calendar?

----------

This. Just a note, you will only have the Photo Stream option on your first iCloud account--the second iCloud account added using HXGuy's instructions won't have that option. Granted, you can always use the new share Photo Stream option.