I'm going to be honest, this phone makes me want to kill myself.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by upsguy27, Oct 19, 2011.

1. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

I was really excited to get the iPhone 4S and finally abandon AT&T. Now, don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Apple and have been there on day one to get every iPhone. This is more of me expressing my hatred for... whatever is causing these issues. First of all, I'll say that I switched to a new account on Sprint the day the 4S came out; first time being on Sprint. I've been desperately hoping that all the issues I've been having are because of Sprint's network getting slammed by new iPhone users.

First of all, Siri doesn't work 1/3 of the time, even with full bars and 3G. It just says it has trouble connecting to the network. Now, at home, I get 1mbps up/down, so I'm not sure what the issue is here.

Secondly, at random times when going from place to place, literally like two feet, the "3G" switches to a "o" symbol when under heavy data load, or really just trying to load any data at all. Note: this happens even when I don't move at all and am trying to load data. It seems to happen more often when trying to use Siri.

Third, similar to the "o" symbol, at random times I'll get switched to the "Extended" network? The Sprint will change to Extended. Not sure why. This all seems to happen in most places I go to daily. Both the Extended switch and the "o" switch seem to have an impact on data speed, though I can't say for sure.

In some places, I won't get any service at all and I will have one bar with the "o" symbol. If I walk ten feet in another direction, I get full 3G restored. This doesn't happen as often as the other issues, but still has happened in the last few days.

The weird thing is, I know a couple of friends on Sprint and they've never complained about their coverage... which is why I have hopes that it's not related to Sprint and I didn't just lock myself into a network with poor coverage for two years. What do I do? Is it the iPhone? Is it Sprint?

Side issue, the phone heats up very frequently and battery discharge is just ridiculous compared to my iPhone 4. I had to purchase a Mophie battery pack to last through the day. I really don't understand why, the last time I experienced something like this was when I was running iOS 5 beta on my 4.

Please, someone help, I'm trying so hard to love this phone, and I really do, these issues just get in the way.

2. thenerdal macrumors 65816

Sounds like it's mostly Sprint's fault and not the phone. Why didn't you go to Verizon instead? :confused:

3. ap3604 macrumors 68000

No shame in not being man enough to handle the iPhone ;)

On a serious note though I would say if you have 3 options:
    - Return it and get some other phone
    - Get a different carrier
    - Get a warranty replacement

Ball is in your court as to what to pick of these 3...

4. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Wild guess... Sprint service/ coverage sucks for your phone where you are and it's blowing through the battery while constantly trying to find a signal.

You're within the grace period... quit Sprint and go to another carrier.

5. drb1992 macrumors 6502

drb1992

Sprint's 3G sucks, and Siri is still in beta. It isn't going to be perfect. I would return the phone and try out Verizon for your area. Verizon has much better coverage than Sprint and AT&T.

6. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Run from Sprint. What was wrong with ATT?? Might want to give them a call. :)

7. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Just goes to show for all of the people who complain about AT&T...the grass is not always greener.

OP...I'd take it back and either go back to AT&T or try Verizon.

8. TitanApe macrumors member

You seem to be experiencing the worst of Sprint and the 4s. Ignore the brand and use the device as is and if you find it too painful, return it.

9. EvilShenaniganZ macrumors 6502

EvilShenaniganZ

If it's Sprints crap service how come people with other phones on Sprint have great service? People have shown video's of a 4s with weak signal next to another phone with great signal..

10. Cdaddy112 macrumors member

Had these exact same issues with my sprint phone, returned it and got AT&T and all problems were solved

11. johnnysart macrumors newbie

I had trouble with siri also but fixed it. go to settings -general-siri then turn off siri then hit disable. then wait a bit then turn it back on and it should work just just fine.
    And I have AT&T and every things working just fine--I love my 4s.

12. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

I believe "extended" means you are roaming on verizon

I believe most sprint plans include an unlimited amount of this

13. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Did sprint agree to some ungodly amount in iPhone inventory? iPhone failing on sprint should sink them.

14. pittpanthersfan macrumors 6502

pittpanthersfan

Have you tried Siri over wi-fi? Does it still conk out?

15. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Sprint's network sounds to be lacking in your area. I don't think the issues you are having are coming from the actual device. Sprint's network has a high latency with slow speeds in general. I'd imagine that the high latency (ping) is causing Siri to screw up too.

I'd highly consider switching to a different carrier. Sounds like AT&T didn't float your boat, so I'd try Verizon.

Edit: I love how the OP is getting -x'd votes for having legitimate issues with his phone.

16. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

So, what would happen if I do that, return the phone and get credit back on my card, no contract made?

See the quoted response below... if it's true that I can roam on Verizon's towers, then hypothetically wouldn't Sprint have to most coverage? (Sprint + Verizon)

I had stupidly high monthly bills on AT&T, that was partially my fault and partially theirs. I was locked into two extra lines accidentally, that part being my fault but only added $20 a month. Without those two, I was still paying over $160 a month for two lines what I'm now paying $116 a month for on Sprint, and that gets me more of everything.

If this is true, then this would be great news. Can anyone confirm?

17. mackaikai macrumors newbie

I'm on Sprint and my Siri works perfectly. I'm in San Diego

18. wordoflife, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011

wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Not necessarily.

You are still getting Sprint service, but it's just really bad. I think you only roam on Verizon when Sprint has absolutely no service in a certain areas. Plus, I don't think all areas automatically roam on Sprint. I think there are roaming agreements to be made by both carriers (and that doesn't include the whole USA).

Now, I might be completely wrong - but I doubt, hypothetically, that Sprint has the best coverage. Otherwise, most people would just use Sprint. But, most don't.

BTW, when you roam, you don't get a top of the notch 3G network. That would be too expensive for Sprint. You get a 1xrtt network (pretty much that circle you are seeing on your phone) - you know, just enough to make a call in case of an emergency. (and some say that it's not even good for calls at times too). Also, you are limited to half of your monthly minutes (or 800 minutes - whichever comes first) and 300MB of data.

This is unrelated, but does anyone know if AT&T roams on T-Mobile? I've never seen my phone roam before in the US.

19. MXChristian11 macrumors 6502

MXChristian11

umm.. your title, "this 'phone' make me want to kill myself..."

from what I read, all your problems are service related. from the sound of it, your service makes you want to kill yourself.

what terrible experiences... should have checked the coverage maps before switching.

before harping on a supposed terrible device, look at where the problems are stemming from. if i were you, I'd sprint as fast as I could to at&t or vzw.

20. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

Phone heating up and Battery issues are related to the new iOS Kernel being used... wait for next few updates and you will see the difference

21. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

no, his battery is heating up because it's working overtime trying to find a signal on Sprint's ****** network. an iOS update isn't going to fix his spotty network coverage...

22. imeth macrumors regular

i love AT&T so much.. we get the best 3G service with HSPA+, advantage of a GSM network.. great customer service (my experiences) discounts and early upgrades. No activation fee. AT&T was the first and best to get the iPhone. Of course I can surf and talk on the phone..

23. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

People from all carriers have been reporting issues with battery life. While the OP's issues might be mainly caused by Sprint's poor network, an update will still help to a certain extent.

24. imeth macrumors regular

I want to also say give Sprint a chance because this is the first time getting the iPhone.. might not be all prepared to handle such a load on it's network. Due times it will get better..

25. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Finally the truth surfaces. My EVO on Sprint is excellent. My other phones on AT&T were excellent when my AT&T iPhone wasn't. If the iP4 dropped a call all I needed was to pickup my AT&T Galaxy S, and enjoy clear calling.

The sad fact is Apple is far from perfect. A fact that most Apple worshipers deny completely.

Now, just to prove that I report honestly, I can say without hesitation that finally Apple has learned how to make a phone that works. I bought an AT&T 4S for my wife and it's the best phone of all.

Why? iFixit took one apart and discovered a new baseband processor along with the greatly improved antenna. This combo makes for the best phone from Apple to date. If they would have done this with the iPhone 4, there would never have been Antennagate.