I'm going to Chicago tomorrow. And I want to buy an iPhone without contracts. Help.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pedazo9234, Aug 29, 2008.

1. pedazo9234 macrumors newbie

Hi, tomorrow I'm going to Chicago and I'll stay here for 3 days.
    I wanna buy a 2G or 3G iPhone without AT&T contracts, but I don't know where.

Some people told me that in some indian electronic shops I could buy an iPhone, but I don't know where are this shops..

So if someone knows where can I buy an 2G/3G iphone in Chicago without AT&T contract, please let me know.

Thank you. Greetings!.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You can't.

Go on to Craigslist to buy a used 2G.

TEG

3. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

if Chicago is anything like NYC, any electronics shop that may have the 3G in stock is going to overcharge you by at least $100, compared to prices on Craig's or ebay...probably more like $200-$300.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

"electronics shop" with iPhones only $100 more than what AT&T charge, does not sell real iPhone 3G.

New iPhone: $199 + tax
    Activation Fee: $36
    First Month: $70 + Tax
    Early Termination Fee: $175

TOTAL: $480 BEFORE TAX + at least 1 hour of TIME (travel, wait, etc.), and before 1 hit on your credit rating.
    It's impossible to get a real iPhone 3G for anything less than that.

It's before the fragile hardware unlock that may or may not work.
    Yes some random people might report that they work, but none of the US iPhone hack sites have published or confirmed that they actually work. I have tried one of those things for the original iPhone. They are really fragile and not for travelers that need to constantly swap sim cards.

5. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

He said 100 dollars over what eBay and Craigslist have them selling it for.. which is like 700-800 bucks for a 16GB 3G.

6. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

if your post was directed at mine, you did not read my post. I said nothing about AT&T's price.

7. pedazo9234 thread starter macrumors newbie

This is for the iPhne 3G, I know that is very difficult to find an iPhone 3G without AT&T contract. But.. What about iPhone 2G?.

8. Oskee2001 macrumors regular

dude, just go on craigslist.com and find a used 2g iphone. there are at least a couple a day. some even unlocked. its not that hard to find.

9. pedazo9234 thread starter macrumors newbie

10. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Out of luck then I guess. better buy another phone.

11. pedazo9234 thread starter macrumors newbie

But I think that in the city of Chicago may be some shop where iPhone 2G is sold without contracts.

MAny persons that have travelled to america have bought an iPhone 2G without contracts here :(.

12. hexonxonx macrumors 601

YOu could have bought one last year at the Apple store without a contract. Since that 2G iPhone is no longer sold by Apple or AT&T, you won't really find any new ones in stores anywhere. You have to look online such as in eBay or Craigs list. That's it.

13. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I think the plan is that the iphone 3G will be available without a contract in the U.S. at some point. It will much more expensive but you'll get one new and will be able to buy it from an Apple, AT&T or Best Buy--without taking a chance on some shady dealer.

I really think its better to wait anyway, some people (myself included) are experiencing some rather serious technical problems with the iphone which will hopefully be sorted out in a month or two.

If you need a phone now try to pick a GSM provider and go with their cheapest phone. Then when the iphone comes out without a contract buy it and add it to your service. It'll prolly cost you more than if you just bought with the AT&T contract but you'll have the freedom.

14. pedazo9234 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes.. but I live in Spain, and I'm only in chicago this weekend..

15. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

So buy an unlocked iPhone 3G in Europe as there are countries there that are not allowed to sell locked phones. You would be better off.

Just curious but why do you have to buy it in the US? It seems like this would be more of a headache.

16. pedazo9234 thread starter macrumors newbie

Because in Spain are not unlocked iPhones, and the only way to get one is via internet..

17. Oskee2001 macrumors regular

Ok, I think i know what you need. Go to Devon and Western avenue in the city's north side, in the Rogers Park neighborhood. This is the traditional Indian neighborhood, filled with a variety of shops and restaurants (great Naan. have to try it.). There are at least a few electronics shops closer to Devon and Clark that will likely have the iPhone. its going to take some looking, and probably asking around until you find it, but you can do it. Have fun!

18. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

So take a quick hop over to Italy or catch the train to France. There are a ton more options than buying one while you are in Chicago at a questionable electronics store, at a questionable price for an iPhones that is second hand. You would be better off buying one from the internet, not nearly as sketchy as some of the electronics stores you would be forced to go to.

Nothing personal but I am not understanding your aversion to getting what you want from easier sources (ie. the internet or a neighboring country in Europe). You seem to be set on picking the hardest and possibly most questionable way of getting an iPhone.

19. iSaga macrumors regular

Pedazo, I am in Europe as well and have a 2G 16gb fully unlocked iPhone I'm looking to get rid of. Let me know if interested.

20. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

lol chicago is like the US home of unlocked phones. Thats where i bought all my phones until my 3G :D

but they should have it on all of there electronic shops. Try Devon street outside of downtown...TONS of unlocked phone stores...should be there :D

21. Oskee2001 macrumors regular

22. jediistar macrumors 6502

I go down there quite often to buy unlocked phones well at least I did prior to 3g. www.welectronics.com was by far my favorite place to go or the storefront next to them which is owned by the same people. However, when I first saw this thread this morning I looked at their pricing for the iphone...1st gen 8 gig goes for 699...expect to go up from there if you're looking at 3G. This particular store is about a block from the corner of Devon and Western on Devon.

23. Oskee2001 macrumors regular

24. Jack Dangers macrumors regular

I'm sure he want's to take advantage of the USD/EUR exchange rate while he's in Chicago. 699USD is approx 470EUR