Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

siratherock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
Hi, i'm going to college this fall. It's going to be my first year. I've been using PC all my life but I'm thinking of changing to Mac. I'm a business major and i was wondering that if Mac is right for me.

p.s I'm going to wait for the new macbook, so i'll still have time to decide.

thank you for your time. =)

aosman

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2008
I think a MacBook would be right for you. If ever you have to run programs on Windows, you can always run that via boot camp / parallels. Depending on your budget, you might also want to consider a MacBook Pro. All depends on how much you want to spend. If you need help, feel free to PM me (I am an Undergrad as well, minoring in Business Management)

Insulin Junkie

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2008
Mainland Europe
I don't understand most of those 'right for me' threads... do the research and decide for yourself! Play around with them instore! If you have a specific question then specify it, otherwise what can we say. How are we to judge what's right for you if you don't tell us what you expect it to do? Do you need it to run specific programs? What kind of power do you need your computer to have, etc?
Let me know and I'll answer you to the best of my ability.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
You should talk with your professors or other school advisor; every school is different.

You could even talk to your school's tech department to see if they offer service for macs (not like we need it ;)) or what percentage of the school population is mac users.

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
I'm sure the MacBook will do everything you will need, and lots more besides.

Re waiting for new models, personally I'm always a little cautious about new models, sometimes they have minor problems that need sorted out.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I have a few business major friends, a lot have Macs. A few with MacBooks and they have no issues.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
You should talk with your professors or other school advisor; every school is different.

You could even talk to your school's tech department to see if they offer service for macs (not like we need it ;)) or what percentage of the school population is mac users.

In addition, they may require some sort of AntiVirus, even though your Mac doesn't need it.

But a MacBook will be an excellent choice for you.

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
If you have the bucks, I'd strongly suggest an MBA. What College?
A MacBook is an excellent choice as well but a MBP will be foolish!

In the end.... please ask around how your school handles things!

jroller

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
Charleston, SC
As a business major, is a macbook right for you? I assume that is the question you are really asking. I agree with the poster who suggested you check with your school. You certainly can run Windows (via Apple's boot camp, Parallels, or VMWare), but be aware that you have to have a copy of Windows to do that.

Frankly, I think you will find many of your peers using Macbooks and I do think it is a fine choice for someone in your situation. But, ultimately that is a personal decision and you need to do the research to make an education choice. This was a good first step...

My .02...

zsft

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2008
Hi, i'm going to college this fall. It's going to be my first year. I've been using PC all my life but I'm thinking of changing to Mac. I'm a business major and i was wondering that if Mac is right for me.

p.s I'm going to wait for the new macbook, so i'll still have time to decide.

thank you for your time. =)

Anything that runs excel...excel on mac may be a bit different from windows so you'll have to get used to it - this is for the financial aspect of business which I would guess you need to learn. Nothing else really required for business...gotta get windows to run STATA if you're going to be doing statistics/econometrics, dunno if its required for you though. And Matlab for some Linear Algebra work...though probably not required.

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
My minor is in business and my MacBook has served me well. My school is so pro-Dell it's not even funny. Get you some virtualization software (Such as Parallels or VMWare Fusion) because you will be using a lot of Microsoft Office probably and the Mac version of Office is a bit different than Windows (no Access, Publisher, or Outlook) and you shouldn't have any problems (I don't).

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Get you some virtualization software (Such as Parallels or VMWare Fusion) because you will be using a lot of Microsoft Office probably and the Mac version of Office is a bit different than Windows (no Access, Publisher, or Outlook) and you shouldn't have any problems (I don't).

In addition, if you are using Excel a lot, 2008 does not support VBA
2004 does, but it is still different

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

nidserz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
Dubai x Toronto
In addition, if you are using Excel a lot, 2008 does not support VBA
2004 does, but it is still different

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

yeah the only thing i would be concerned about is excel.
i am a business major and had to run excel with "solver" and just got a mac which doesn't support it (yet).
i prefer doing my word processing/excel/etc in windows because I am used to it, but you can run that in bootcamp/parallels.
now i have an iMac and wanted a macbook air, but not sure if it will be able to handle my excel needs on-the-go so the macbook would be fine. many friends have macbooks and macbook pros.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.