Resolved I'm Going to Sell Retina MacBook Pro and Live on Retina iPad Mini, BUT I NEED........

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HappyDude20, Aug 27, 2013.

1. HappyDude20, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2013

HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I take a lot of photos. A lot. To the tune of 500 a week; especially traveling these last few weeks around the world.

I have a Retina MacBook Pro 13inch 128GB. This isn't enough and as I currently type on this device I have less than 2GB's on this SSD. I'm heavily considering selling this rMBP if a retina iPad Mini is introduced soon. I've lived on a solely an iPad (3rd ten) before, however there is one issue that is of the utmost concern, and that saving my photos and videos. Essentially a backup. I need something more than Photo Stream, considering once I take 1,000 photos, the previous 1,000 are taking out of the cloud. Certainly the photos would still be saved on the iOS device in question, whether it be my iPhone 4 or future retina iPad Mini, but with my constant travels I could easily lose or misplace my iPad Mini and all the photos/videos i've taken.

I used to have a Mac Mini and this was a wonderful solution, but this was when I had a home base; a place where I would go home every night and connect my iOS devices and backup to this Mac Mini. I no longer have this. An iCloud option would be great, if it included video. Or an external HDD that supports all iOS devices, or something?

I'm open to discussion on this. My rMBP doesn't have enough space, I don't like external HDD's and admittedly this rMBP is slower than I had anticipated. I plan on selling this device the moment an iPad Mini with retina is announced.

:D

2. L T macrumors 6502

L T

So the retina at 128GB isn't enough but an iPad mini at maximum of 64GB would be enough?

I believe the only back up option the iPad comes with is iCloud or to iTunes on a computer.

3. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Yes, even a 16gb iPad mini would suffice. Upon using DaisyDisk for almost a year I can see the majority of my HDD or SSD space is consumed by my Media files all housed in iPhoto. This is more of a storage issue of my photos and videos in the long run.

My rMBP is great, minus the lag when it comes to iMovie and over 60GBs of that SSD are from iPhoto. This wasn't an issue with my old MBP that had 500gbs. I can easily live off on just an iPhone and iPad and truly prefer it; except when I come across certain few sites (though essential at times) but not enough to warrant a lowly 128gb rMBP.

This is why a Mac mini sounds appealing to me, due to the larger storage capacity; but I'm always traveling and not ideal. I need some sort of solution that can save all the stuff I come across and ideally wouldn't want to require Internet for it, as at times I'm out of the United States where I don't have Internet. Usually in the US I tether 24/7, but considering its 3G tethering it isn't ideal, nor do I wish to be dependent in it considering my circumstances.

4. L T macrumors 6502

L T

Sorry, you've completely lost me!

If you say 16GB is enough: Are you saying that you want to constantly be able to move pictures and video off the iPad onto an external device for storage?

5. Mainsail macrumors 6502a

I am not aware of any way to directly copy files from an ipad to a portable hard drive, so if you want to go iPad only, you would need to use some type of cloud storage solution.

Flickr now offers one Terabyte free for photo storage. I used it during our recent three week vacation, and it worked great. Of course, I was only uploading about 20 photos per day, and I had to have an Internet connection. Fortunately, wifi was easy to get in Europe, so this wasn't a problem for me.

Also, the size of your individual photo files could be an issue. All of my photos were taken with an iPhone, so the photo files were manageable. If I was uploading from a camera, the files might have been larger and taken more time.

6. Oracle1729 macrumors 6502a

Your 128 gig rMBP is too small, so you want to switch to a 16 gig iOS that doesn't allow external storage and then ask for help using external storage?

Are you trying to manufacture problems? You want a device with tiny internal storage, you don't like external storage devices, and you don't have decent internet for cloud-based storage. Basically you've ruled out every possible answer. Here's your options.

Option 1. Keep your rMBP. Back up your pictures to an external USB hard drive. 500 gig is about $40 these days. Buy 2, keep one somewhere safe and swap them often so you don't lose your only copy if you lose the drive in your travels.

Option 2. Buy a cMBP, replace the optical drive with an opti-bay so you can have a huge HDD and a fast SSD. All the benefits of your mac mini in a portable package.

Option 3. Buy an android tablet that supports external storage on USB devices or microSD cards. Most devices have that feature once you look outside apple-world.

Option 4. A photo sharing and backup service. I like smugmug, but it costs about $60/year.

Btw, when you say you're going to "live on" a piece of hardware, you sound like a dorky poser.

7. Bear macrumors G3

I would've suggested a MacBook Air with 512GB of storage, but since you say the rMBP is slow, the Air is likely to be too slow as well.

You really need to decide what you want. A iPad only solution won't be great for managing photos, you'll really want a Mac of some sort, one with a decent amount of storage space. You'll also want to back your photos up somewhere. You don't want just one copy of your photos if you care about them.

8. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

I'd suggest looking for external storage and holding on to your Retina Pro. You can grab a 1TB MyPassport by WD for around 70-90 bucks and it utilizes the USB 3.0 slot on your Retina Pro for zippy file transfer speeds. It is also small enough that travelling with it is no big deal.

Sure, for selling your Retina Pro you could probably buy two iPad Minis, but it isn't guaranteed the Mini is getting Retina next month and sometimes a laptop is just better (IMHO).

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't get how you complain of 128 GB space then say 16 GB will suffice. Also, what retina iPad mini?

10. ThePiratkapten macrumors newbie

ThePiratkapten

You can use an external hard drive with iPad. Seagate has a wireless hard drive called "GoFlex Satellite". I have the first generation with 500GB storage, but a newer one with 1TB is avaible. To be able to do this, you need to mod its firmware to support the SMB file sharing protocol (it's fairly easy). Then use the iPad app "Remote files". It can open the photos stored on the iPad and copy them bit by bit to the hard drive. Keep in mind that the photos will have strange names.

I wouldn't recommend this though. It's just a workaround, you need a computer to mod the hard drive, when the drive is full you are in big trouble without a computer, you won't have a backup, navigating photos is slow and unreliable, the drive itself is VERY unreliable and because of the names of the photos.

Or just get a regular MacBook Pro with two internal 1.5TB disks with optibay (like someone above suggested).

11. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Yes this is exactly what i'm saying. Even if need be on a daily basis, i'll be wanting/needing to move my photos and videos into some sort of storage solution to make way for the upcoming days/weeks where ill be filming more.

I totally feel ya on the issues I may come across when it comes to larger file types. A cloud solution would be great, but ideally I would like some sort of external device to connect my iPad to. This isn't a set rule for me, but would allow me to solve this issue w/o needing WiFi.

I was not aware Flickr provided a free terabyte. I'll look into how to do this from both iOS devices; perhaps an app. With this route, if push came to shove I would need to find WiFi somewhere (not impossible) and just sit there waiting for all to upload.

I don't care what I sound like to you, I'm here for a solution.

Option 1 works, but I don't like external devices. Admittedly this is something I can move past when it comes to an iPad, seeing as it'll most likely be a need. I would go and get a 500GB HDD but as mentioned, I'm traveling from continent to the next and I would assume a $40 500GB HDD would mainly be available online and not in store. I currently have a 320GB HDD external that I'm currently using to backup my photos and videos (taken from my iPhone), though using Image Capture on my rMBP.

Option 2; I can't and won't. I love a high resolution screen, which perhaps explains may yearning for a retina iPad Mini. This was my previous solution that carried me from 2006 to 2012; having a cMBP with 500GB's inside and not having to worry about all the videos and photos I was interested in. The lowly 128GB SSD is the cause of all this; and I would heavily consider getting a 500GB SSD rMBP when $$$ isn't an issue.

Option 3, no Android. not a fan and truth be told, my roommate who loves Android never shuts up about it and honestly I can't care less.

Yeah, a Mac w/ enough storage is the true issue. If it was in a rMBP then all would be well; but I need a work around and as I reply to you all I realize cloud storage or an iPad capable external storage would be the solution.

This seems like a step in the right direction, though of course it's advertised as steaming media, though perhaps with the workaround you stated I could allow for backing up MY files. I wouldn't mind Jailbreaking again, but i've decided to go w/o jailbroken devices during my recent troubles so as to prevent roadblocks on the road which can be disastrous. But I have JB all my iOS devices since the beginning; tethering (while in the US) at least 30GB's a month w/ Verizon and certainly being throttled down on 3G to Edge; but it's free and unlimited.

12. ThePiratkapten macrumors newbie

ThePiratkapten

You don't need to jailbreak to use my workaround! :)

13. themadrussian macrumors regular

So... why not just sell your 13" rMBP and buy a (new or used) 13" rMBP with 500GB? It will likely end up saving you money. You might even be able to afford a used 15" rMBP with 500GB - that will perform better than the 13", anyway.

The 500GB SSD upgrade is $500 - your other solution will certainly cost you more in the long term (losing money on the 13" sale + cost of iPad + cost of reliable internet and cloud storage or external drive).

14. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Here's an idea: Using a Synology NAS (I guess the DS212j with 2x2TB drives would be fine here), you can upload photos via Synology's "DS photo+" App.

15. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

lol, maybe it's a language barrier thing but there seem to be so many products you require or are seemingly available that simply do not exist.

You don't like external devices for storage but your rMBP SSD isn't enough so you want an iPad which is smaller in capacity??

For a 'cloud' service may I suggest Dropbox - my iOS camera roll is currently too large for my free iCloud storage so I turned the back up off so that it instead synchronises to my 50GB Dropbox cloud storage. These files are then accessible anywhere on the web and any device when you sign in. You will be paying out a lot of £/$/€ for a big cloud storage space though.

16. Asclepio macrumors 6502a

Asclepio

17. Oracle1729 macrumors 6502a

I suspect he's trolling. For example he says external storage for his MBP is unacceptable even though there's so many options even StorEdge drives, but it's something he can get past on an iPad where Apple just cripples out that functionality. It feels like an invented problem.

On the off chance he's actually not trolling, it's pretty clear he wants the impossible and for some pretty contrived reasons. So what he needs is to rethink his requirements in light of reality.

18. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Charitably speaking, perhaps he's thinking that MBP plus external hard drives are too heavy to lug around, but the same external hard drives plus iPad are light enough that he can live with that.

Still, it does seem like he has an extreme edge usage case, and he's not helping himself by not explaining his situation and requirements clearly.

19. nStyle macrumors 65816

I hope you don't employ anyone because I would hate to hear how confusing your demands would sound to them.

You're contradicting yourself everywhere in this post.

I don't understand why a 128GB iPad (not Mini) wouldn't suit your needs NOW and be much better for photos since it is a larger screen. But then again - you have a MUCH more capable device already - and why sell it to lose your butt on it and then buy an iPad which is far inferior in every way for what you are wanting to do?

Buy external storage - offload photos when necessary. Keep your 60+ gigs freed up so you can utilize while traveling. Use cloud storage (Google Drive, Flickr, Dropbox, Pogoplug, etc...) for when you run out on the MB.

You make take thousands of photos but you don't need instant access to all of them at any given moment. And quite honestly - there isn't any feasible solution for you that will give you instant access to every photo. It's all about organization.

Check yourself before you wreck yourself.

20. SluGuru macrumors regular

You can store 101,000 photos with shared photo streams. You have 1,000 photos in your standard photo stream and 100 shared photo streams that will store 1,000 photos each.

21. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I appreciate the advice and direction, though just as you mentioned you wouldn't recommend this because of the strange names and all; but it would allow me to extract my photos out of my iPad and into external storage.

I've not seen rMBP 13" w/ 500GBs; only 256GBs at most. The 15inch rMBP sound appealing but only due to the larger storage and screen size, though as mentioned, I do travel quite a bit and the 13inch rMBP would best suit my needs in regards to portability. (FYI, I had the 11inch Air for a few months before trading it in for a 13inch rMBP but hated the weight distribution on the Air.) I do feel ya on the faster workload the 15in. rMBP would handle but i'd prefer to not go into the 15inch MBP world.

At first I freaked out seeing this, thinking it was way more than what I was asking for, though it does seem to be what I'd like, even remotely from almost any corner in the world; however this means I'd need to have this secure in a "home-base" sort of location and truth i'm in moving all the time w/ no concrete settlement.

Yes, I can more than thrive on 16GB on a weekly basis. In the end, this question is about storage. Something of which my MBP, any Mac do, so long as there is enough space available. A Mac Mini would suffice, but as mentioned above I'm always traveling and wouldn't be able to carry that along with me. Portability and a storage solution are the name of the game here.

So confused. Thanks for taking the time to write.

I'll make it work.

This is it. I've always hated carrying around externals so since my 1st Mac I always had more than 500GB's within any MacBook i've owned. Since iPads came along i've noticed most of those space GBs were consumed with photos and videos I took and edited. iPhoto isn't my ideal location to house everything, though I do consider it the prettiest, and considering I have more than 60GB's of photos so far (and quickly accumulating more), I'm seeking a solution for housing all this. At the same time not wanting to carry around extras I don't need.

It certainly is about organization and convinience. I certainly do not need all my photos at the same time, but within these past few years i've always had every file i've ever create available to me at any given time. Back in the day I would leave my MBP on 24/7 via LogMeIn and it suited me well between University and hoping to different continents. Now, it's different. I truly don't know where I'll be the next week and it's always been nice to have everything available should I need it. Here however, the question is about not wanting to lose any photos/videos I take throughout my travels, seeing as it's more likely I lose/misplace my iPad or iPhone at the airport or in some foreign place as oppose to the tranquil daily life in Anytown USA.

This, if i'm understanding you correctly would be a great solution.. assuming that I can create a shared photo stream, sharing it only to myself and that the photos don't disappear once I delete them from the original iOS device. That and assuming Apple provides a service for this. I would assume this isn't iTunes Match, a service i'd heavily consider getting before selling my rMBP (hoping the iPad Mini w/ Retina comes out) seeing as the array of my iTunes media wasn't purchased in iTunes.

22. Skika macrumors 68030

23. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

So getting something smaller and slower because the thing you already have is not big enough or fast enough.....

Makes perfect sense :confused:

24. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I can deal with it not being fast enough. The issue is storage.

----------

This seems like it may be the most elegant solution. And perhaps one I'd most likely take. I wouldn't mind shelling out a few sheckles for the convenience. Ill look into it.