I'm going to try and use my iPad all day and nothing else.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SRLMJ23, May 9, 2011.

1. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

Not my laptop or my desktop. I will however use my iPhone 4.

Anyone else doing this? If so, how is it going?? I'm on a Windows 7 machine but i'd like to hear from both sides (mac people) on the issues. Thanks!:apple:

2. xraytech macrumors 68020

Been there, done that.

3. Meanee macrumors 6502a

It all depends what exactly are you doing. If you are web browsing, playing games, updating blogs, easy. Anything more serious, doubt it.

I am as far away from iPad's capabilities as possible right now. Have to do a test run of an upgrade. Migrating from 2003 SBS to 2011, in a virtual environment. :(

4. stix macrumors member

I have to try hard not to use mine all day...

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

That's pretty easy, unless your job is laying out pages using Quark Xpress or InDesign. I'm pretty confident that such things won't be done by a tablet anytime soon.

However, being on vacation, I'm kinda doing that aside from typing this. I can type hella fast on a keyboard, which is why I'm doing that. But I could easily just use my iPad for the entire week. My iMac has pretty much become a machine to back things up (photos, music, apps) and use for the heavy-duty stuff like above applications and HandBrake.

I don't think a lot of us will ever be able to use just a tablet. Maybe if you never used a computer otherwise and over-the-air updates come, sure. But for people like me with a crapload of documents and other files I keep on here for whatever reason, not to mention the gigabytes of photos, music and videos, it just won't happen. Any remote storage solution would be crazy expensive compared to the 3 GB I have here spread across a few hard disks. It's also much faster to access a bunch of those pictures locally than to rely on a 6 Mbps DSL connection.

6. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I do this frequently, but as someone said above it all just depends on what you do. I work primarily with Office docs, so I'm fine for most purposes. The only time I've run into issue is on certain websites that have content that can't be displayed on iPads. But for those instances, I'll usually just remote into my iMac. Not ideal, but gets the job done.

7. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

WOW AMAZING.

Seriously most people I know have done that. I've gone interstate with just the iPad (using VOIP for phone calls) before.