i'm gonna reformat my PC...all i plan to my up is my music...best way?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by himynameiscody, Jan 28, 2012.

1. himynameiscody macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

about 800 songs in itunes. should i just drag them all from itunes to the external HD?

this is my first time reformatting...someone mentioned backing up the drivers, how necessary is that. when my brother did reformat he didn't do anything with the drivers.

thanks

2. kalex macrumors 65816

you should save your itunes folder as it contains your library as well. after you reformat u can copy the folder back to same location and open the original itunes library.

As far as drivers - depends on your computer. I would go to each manufacturer website and get latest drivers for each of your components. Save them to usb thumbdrive and it will be easier to install them after format

3. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

my iphone back ups have been while my phone was jailbroken, using those if my phone wasn't jailbroken wouldn't cause any problems would it?

also i thought i could do the drivers after i reformat.

what is the difference if i drag my itunes songs over to the external, or copy the itunes folder

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

^^^ Responses bolded

5. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

For backing up your music, you should check out Google Music (Manager.) It's a desktop app where you upload all of your songs for streaming online. They just added a feature where you can download all of the music you've uploaded.

6. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

If all you want to keep is your music, then simply go to the folder(s) the music is stored in and drag it/them to your external HD.

7. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

will that one itunes folder have ALL music and back ups

also if i plug my phone in after it's reformated will it make me erease my phone contents

8. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Just copy that folder over then, you're sorted.

I don't think it will, no. It might sync your music back up again but I don't think it'll wipe anything else or make you restore. If it does, then it'll let you backup the phone first anyway.

9. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

i backed up with icloud too just incase. i always do both.

do i even need to copy the old backup files from itunes? can't just do a back up first thing so i have one on my pc

10. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

No point copying the backup files from iTunes, like you say you can do a fresh one anyway, and getting the other ones to work on a new install might cause complications.

Like I said, even if iTunes does force you to restore (I use my iPad on different Macs and have never encountered a problem like that, so I don't see why your iPhone would), then iTunes will run a backup before it restores anyway.

11. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

thanks for all the help. also someone gave me programs calld drivermax and doubledriver...they'll back up my drivers and i can just restore em after the format

i know i'm gonna forget to back something up...so far itunes, my folder with random stuff, bout to do the drivers, and i think that's it. is there anything else you would do

12. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev