I'm gunna have money, what should I buy on black friday?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Neil1138, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Neil1138 macrumors regular

Since I bought my MacBook Pro last week, the 14 price guarantee is still valid for black friday sales. I'm going to go to the apple store at 5am and get whatever price discount credited to me. So what should I get? I'm thinking a sleeve for my macbook and maybe some iphone thing...

What good sleeve cases does the apple store have for the new MacBook Pro?? Cause I dont know if they are redesigned and will fit? I'm leaning towards the 15" incase sleeve. If Apple is going to price match best buy stores and stuff, i'm thinking that I will at least get $100-150 apple credit. So throw out some recommendations. I already have iLife and iWork, the Logitech nano vx. And I got a printer already from the $99 deal. And I dont want or need stands. Thanks!

2. bki122689 macrumors 6502

bki122689

how about an external hard drive or a wireless mighty mouse.
    maybe new speakers.

3. Neil1138 thread starter macrumors regular

I already have a mouse. But any recommendations for an external HD??? That could be good. for under $200 of course.

4. vm7118 macrumors regular

save the apple credit for when you want to upgrade your RAM. anything else is useless and/or pointlessly expensive from apple.

the "apple" RAM is too, maybe moreso than anything else in that store, but $200 of credit will go a long way towards maxing out your sweet new laptop :)

5. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I just bought the Western Digital Passport Studio 500GB. I got it for $140 on eBay...it has FireWire 400/800 and USB...one hell of a deal!!! Havent gotten it, but I am sure its good.

6. Sirus2400 macrumors regular

By all means, don't do this. Just buy RAM from somewhere else (I like crucial). The incase sleeve is the tits, get that. Its snug, but should fit and will keep your new MBP fresh. I have a WD Mybook Studio that I like so far, just make sure you update the firmware before you use it. I like that it will sleep with your MBP, so you can just keep it on and running Time Machine. The 500GB is around $150, so you could get that and the incase sleeve and still have a few bucks left over. http://store.apple.com/us/product/TP750ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0Nw&mco=MjQzNTI1Ng

7. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

8. Neil1138 thread starter macrumors regular

When apple gives you your money back it's in apple store credits so I don't have many options RAM wise if I were to buy RAM. Does anybody here know how much 4Gb of apple ram is?

9. Vick77 macrumors member

do the black friday sales apply in the uk aswell? ...I ordered my £1850 mbp on november 24th, it's currently being shipped, so will I be able to claim any discounts?

10. vm7118 macrumors regular

forget the incase sleeve. get a tom bihn brain cell, or some brenthaven sleeve if you don't like the tom bihn designs (not everyone does). i am serious when i tell you the products sold at the apple store are generally overly expensive and/or not the best you can get, usually both. kind of like macs themselves, except the accessories don't have the saving grace of coming with OS X...

and are you sure apple's price guarantee comes in the form of apple credit? i would be very upset if that's what they tried to pull on me. but i guess i don't know the official policy. all i know is that not a single other retailer's price protection comes in the form of store credit.

i've just checked the apple site, and apparently they don't even sell DDR3 RAM. 4GB would cost about $100 from macsales/OWC (very reputable site) and they have the advantage of allowing you to send in your OE 2GB for a $25 rebate. so $75 for 4GB of RAM.

definitely try and get a refund for the price protection, not just silly apple credit. nothing in that store is worth buying except a mac, or an iphone, or maybe some software. fusion or parallels if they have it? i've only seen parallels in my local store, and i like fusion much better. office 2008 might be a good buy depending on your needs as well.

if you get the refund:

brenthaven.com or tombihn.com for sleeves, maybe booq.com

macsales.com for RAM

11. Neil1138 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you very much for the detailed response! I'll let you guys know how it goes tomorrow. Happy Thanksgiving!

12. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

According to the front page the MBP is not getting a deal on Apple's Black Friday sale. Don't get your shopping list filled up too fast.

13. Neil1138 thread starter macrumors regular

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well they will be doing price matching, so we can still try.

15. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Get an external HDD, I highly recommend a SeaGate FreeAgent Go (Mac edition). It's already pre-formatted to HFS+ as a completely empty volume (no junk preinstalled). You can choose from so many colors and it includes a dock and case. I think a 500GB potable HDD would cost about $200.

16. Neil1138 thread starter macrumors regular

so your saying that since they will price match other places, we can still get the difference credited to us?? What do I need? Just my receipt and the credit card I used?

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't know; I'm just guessing. I don't think it hurts to try.