I'm having problems with iCloud Photo Library and I'm looking for help to end the madness!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gadgetguru72, May 30, 2017.

1. gadgetguru72 macrumors newbie

Ok, so here's the deal ...

I'm brand new to the iCloud Photo Library thing because this is the first time I've had an iPhone with high enough capacity to even consider leaving a sizable number of photos on my device.

Anyway, I now have 2990 photos and videos on my device, and turned on iCloud Photo Library.

As expected, if I go to iCloud.com, it shows I have 2990 photos and videos.

I downloaded iCloud for Windows, and was disappointed to learn that it does not offer a true sync. But, I'll live with it.

If I click the "download" button in iCloud for Windows, it also shows I have 2990 photos and videos, so everything appears to be as it should be.

Here's the problem: once everything is downloaded, I only end up with 2951 photos and videos, so 39 files aren't downloading. I've tried researching the issue and trying to figure it out, but I'm not finding anything at all that might explain why iCloud has 2990 photos and videos, displays that it has that number, but downloads 39 fewer files.

Any ideas? This is driving me mad.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Do you have a few photos in albums?

The nature of the Camera roll when you create albums is to create a shortcut inside the album to the original image in the camera roll. I'm thinking that the total image count may reflect that.

However, I am no expert. Once iCloud photos in it's first version started making a mess of my camera roll under iOS 6. I stopped using it altogether.

If you're open to other suggestions…I'd suggest Dropbox or Google Drive. I use Dropbox and never worry about it.

3. theoapo macrumors member

theoapo

I had a similar problem and it had something to do with photos taken with burst mode.
    I think one of your devices, counts the burst photos are seperate while the other one as one!
    Unfortunately I can't recall which device did what...
    :(

4. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

This ^ - I highly recommend several backups to photos because I too have lost photos under the early iCloud Photos so I don't use it as my primary backup. Google Photos has worked for me and it is free so I use it along with OneDrive with my Office 365 subscription and Amazon Photos with my AmazonPrime subscription. I also do an iTunes backup to my Windows PC once or twice a week.

I gave up on iCloud Photos and I've tried to use it again now and then but it doesn't work for me because I take thousands of photos a month.

Like eyoungren - I know a lot of people that use Dropbox to "sync" their photos to their PC then back them up removing them from Dropbox (so they can use a free Dropbox account).

5. noobinator macrumors 601

I fell into this mess years ago and switched to Google photos and couldn't be happier.

6. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Apple should fix their Windows Photos application to do a true sync like the Mac version does.

There's a LOT of people who use an iOS device, but have Windows PCs; these people shouldn't get a sub-par experience.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Ahh, but then Apple wouldn't have any good reason driving these people to Mac.

Not that they do this intentionally of course! :rolleyes:

8. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

The trolling by Phil Schiller with his suggestion to buy airpods when asked what to do when wanting to charge the iPhone 7 and listen to music at the same time made it VERY clear that Apple does this stuff intentionally :rolleyes:

I for one was not even able to get iCloud for Windows to download my pictures at all, I had to manually download them from icloud.com. I am giving up on icloud completely

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Oh, yes, I know. I was being sarcastic.

Being a PowerPC Mac user I'm quite familiar with Apple's intentional moves. iTunes 10.6.3 for example, has all the hooks that a PowerPC user would need to sync an iPhone 5. But Apple disconnected the functionality on purpose.