I'm hoping that VZW iPad sales blow away the ATT sales

Discussion in 'iPad' started by CAWjr, Mar 16, 2011.

1. CAWjr macrumors 6502

CAWjr

As a loyal AT&T user, I am hoping that sales of the VZW iPads blow AT&T out of the water, just like I am glad to see that VZW iPhones now account for 12% of all iPhones.

The more people that go to VZW, the fewer people will be on AT&T. The fewer people on AT&T, the less stress on their network. The less stress on their network, the better the experience will be.

Spread the pain equally Apple! make versions for T-Mobile, Sprint, Alltel, Boost Mobile, Cellular One, Cricket, U.S. Cellular, & Virgin Mobile!

2. 482214 macrumors 6502

3. Cole JM macrumors regular

I semi agree, minus the last part, I kinda hope this dosent happen because I ordered the ipad with verizon

4. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Not a chance. During launch day AT&T models were first to go. They had barely sold any vzw versions by the time AT&T was sold out. Sure some of that is resellers sending to differen countries but it's obvious the vzw version is the least wanted of the 3 models.

5. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

Seems like most of the people who are getting the Verizon version are people who weren't able to get the AT&T version but wanted 3G.

6. Dknelson728 macrumors member

QFT.

Even looking at the VZW iPhone4 sales shows the same thing. They weren't/aren't anywhere near what Apple and other companies were expecting.
    It makes sense, there's plenty of reasons for it:

AT&T already has such a well-developed iPhone user-base. Most of them LIKE their service. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Why switch if you're happy?

Lots of people that aren't happy, are still under contract from their 3G/3GS/4 under AT&T, so they can't switch anyway.

I imagine that the trend of AT&T love, and VZW skepticism will continue, and the model availability/sales will be the same.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Also don't forget that AT&T's 3G is faster then VZWs.

Personally, if I have equal coverage between VZW and att, I'll choose the faster network and that's att.

8. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

For "middle" of the range data users AT&T has the better price and plans. AT&T is consistently over two TIMES the speed of Verizon unless of course you can't get a signal, but for most users that again isn't the case. Considering you don't have to worry about call quality or drops, I can't imagine why you would buy a Verizon iPad unless you simply had very specific areas where you knew you were going to use the iPad that didn't get a good AT&T signal.

9. Jcoz macrumors 6502

I want Verizon to kill it with the iphone this year when 5 comes out.

Because then someone is going to have to break the ice with a family data plan, rollover data, or something like that.

I find it absolutely terrible that ATT does not offer family data plans.

We have 3 iphones all on 200mb plans and it costs us $45 a month total for 600mb, when ATT offers single person data plans at 2gb for $25.

Absolutely terrible way to treat customers. its one thing to be bending over customers, and its another (IMO) to do so blatantly.

10. Dknelson728 macrumors member

I'm due for an upgrade (I'm on VZW) in June, and am hoping that we hear some sort of an announcement, leak, specs, something by then. I do love the simplicity and the design of the IP4, but currently, I'm happy enough with my Droid 2 (Boo Android blahblah), that I can't justify switching to an IP4.

However, if the IP5 gives us some nice upgrades under the hood, I'll definitely be considering. With my unlimited data plan, and the fact that I'll be able to grandfather that over even when VZW switches to tiered plans, I'm set either way.

EDIT : I'm really just getting off-topic here. Point is, I'll be interested to see if Verizon sees an influx of new customers for the IP4/5 and the iPad 2 once current AT&T customers are off-contract and have to decide between renewing with them, or changing providers.

11. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Verizons 3G is slower and more expensive than AT&T's so if there is good AT&T coverage in a particular area there is no reason to go with a Verizon iPad. Also, the AT&T version being unlocked are more flexible in terms of taking them overseas and using a local data plan. I'm guessing the shortage of AT&T iPads has a lot to do with those versions being shipped out of the country by people buying them 10 at a time.

12. Dknelson728 macrumors member

Is the AT&T version GSM? Or is that just an option after unlocking?

13. CAWjr thread starter macrumors 6502

CAWjr

AT&T is GSM which is why they are quickly being shipped out of the country.

All iPads are unlocked. They are not married to a network. Of course, the VZW model is limited to CDMA networks only.

14. Dknelson728 macrumors member

Makes sense to me. Chalk one up for the AT&T version.
    It stands to reason that most people have something to gain in way or another from picking that one, whereas the people picking the VZW version are likely people who are used to using Verizon, or who don't have decent coverage in their area with ATT. (I'm just theorycrafting here)