I'm hyperventilating. Did I get screwed out of purchasing AppleCare+ for my MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by XciteMePls, Jun 21, 2017.

1. XciteMePls macrumors member

Please tell me I'm mistaken.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...be-bought-within-60-days-of-purchase.2052510/

Apple now states AppleCare+ for Mac must be purchased within 60 days of device.

That's fine. WHAT ABOUT their loyal customers like me who purchased the 2016 MacBook Pro w/ Touch Bar and haven't yet purchased Apple Care for their 3 THOUSAND DOLLAR MACHINE??? So we're screwed out of purchasing an extended warranty??? I don't understand! I'm so upset with Apple right now...

I can see if this was for machines purchased going forward TODAY, but you mean to tell me somebody who purchased their Mac 6 months ago, and waited on buying AppleCare until it was closer to the first free year of coverage, is NOW SCREWED completely? Here's the AppleCare+ website with my Mac's serial number (Purchased this past March)

http://imgur.com/l6HlL1Z

I'm checking my device's serial number online on the AppleCare website and it won't even give me the OPTION of buying AppleCare. What am I doing wrong? Please help me cuz I'm literally about to have a panic attack.

2. killawat macrumors 65816

OH CRAP, YA DUN GOOF'D.

Just kidding, you can call them up to add traditional AppleCare or buy it from a third party such as B&H or Adorama.

3. XciteMePls thread starter macrumors member

OK and what's the difference between Vanilla AppleCare and AppleCare+???

4. justinf77 macrumors 6502

No accidental damage protection with OG AppleCare.

5. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

AppleCare+ covers accidental damage. But it was only recently introduced for the Macs.

6. jerryk macrumors 68020

AppleCare + is more expensive than AppleCare was. And there is a per incident charge. Also, AppleCare+ only covers accidental damage, not catastrophic damage, whatever that is.

When you add it all up it is a pretty big chunk of money if you crack a screen or otherwise accidentally damage your system. Better than without, but not cheap.

https://www.apple.com/support/products/mac.html

7. tvith macrumors member

Also, the sales rep said the accidental coverage only covers 2 incidents, for the whole 3yrs after which point AppleCare+ is void. I asked him if it's 2 incidents per yr and he said no for the whole term of the Applecare+ and that's when he mentioned the void part.

8. itsamacthing macrumors 6502a

Call Apple Care now, and see what they can do for you..they are usually very flexible

9. jerryk, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017

jerryk macrumors 68020

Is AppleCare+ void, or just no longer covers accidents? That is, does the extended warranty coverage disappear after 2 incidents?

10. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
    Feeling entitled much? You purchased your Mac at that point in time, according to what was offered. Any new product in the future is up to Apple to release and you decide if you want it. If you want Applecare+, buy a new product with the service.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why be so harsh, plus after reading through the thread, I saw no feelings of entitlement, but rather a person wanting to buy extended care, but found out the AC+ has a 60 day purchase window. Up until recently, I didn't know there was such a tight time constraint, so its a simple over sight.

12. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

I think it was in reference to the part in bold...

To be fair there's no need to have a panic attack over not purchasing AppleCare+, if you do then they have some seriously good marketing.

As others have stated the accidental cover is something new. And also if accidental cover is something that without will cause you serious medical issues, then it's probably worth buying accidental care for your device from somewhere else. Many if not all insurance companies offer accidental cover, it's kind of their thing.

Personally I don't bother because it's gambling, and if you ever bother to read the T&C of what you're paying for you'd be surprised by the loopholes on actually paying out. Accidental actually covers a fairly small scope, and does not always excuse carelessness.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I took that as more being upset over the possible loss of getting the extended warranty, which turned out not to be the case, only the version with accidental coverage.

Agreed, its not worth the price imo.

14. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

IMG_0840.jpg
    Be careful what you wish for. You asked for it, you got it. ;)

I guess my question is, why did you wait? Why not purchase when you bought your machine?

Also, hVe you actually called Apple up to speak with them?

15. zen macrumors 68000

zen

I have never seen anyone react this way to not getting Apple Care. How about you just look after your computer? Or just insure it somewhere else if you're convinced you're going to have an accident with it.

16. smbu2000 macrumors member

I thought you'd still have the option of buying Apple Care (not Apple Care+) on your mbp. Have you tried calling apple service about it? I'm sure they'd still allow you to purchase AC on it as it still within the 1 year included warranty.

17. jerryk macrumors 68020

I feel the same way, but is there another option?

When you configure a machine today at the Apple site, the only option for extending the warranty is AppleCare+. And while 3rd parties still have AppleCare kits with valid codes, I doubt they are going to be able to reorder them.

18. tvith macrumors member

I asked the sales rep this as well and he repeated the whole warranty will be void. I'm hoping he's wrong. If someone here can provide some clarity on this, it'll be great.

19. jerryk macrumors 68020

I find that hard to believe. Does the same apply to AppleCare+ for a phone or tablet?

Maybe they figure after two incidence you are abusing your device and therefore do not need to cover you.

20. Fishrrman macrumors G4

My guess is that the OP bought too early to be eligible to buy AppleCare+, which was only recently introduced.

He might give Apple a call or visit. They might be accomodating.

But I'm reckoning that the answer will be, "no".

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

To be honest, I don't know. Up until recently, I didn't even know Apple was selling AC+, I think the thread mentions if you call them, you can still get the older version. It will be a bummer of they stop selling the non-plus version of AC. I don't want to pay a premium for accidental coverage :(

22. jerryk macrumors 68020

Agreed. Worse it just partial accident coverage since there is a high fixed charge to fix the accidental damage.

23. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

Most accidental insurance only covers you for a limited number of 'accidents'. Usually about 3. Insurance companies do not want to pay you remember, it's how they make their money. And if you brought the device in every single week for a replacement they'd be paying out enormous costs and would very quickly go bankrupt.

24. smbu2000 macrumors member

There's an actual PSA about this on Macrumors.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/06/21/applecare-plus-mac-iphone-60-day-purchase-limit/

As for the Mac, customers who have had their Macs for longer than 60 days but less than a year are not eligible for AppleCare+ but are still able to purchase a standard AppleCare Protection Plan, MacRumors has learned. Apple is only offering AppleCare+ for Mac on its website, so customers will need to call in to Apple Support to make the standard AppleCare purchase. Standard Mac AppleCare is priced at $149 to $349, depending on the machine.

25. jerryk macrumors 68020

That is why they limit the "accidental" part of the coverage. But does not explain why they would kill the extended warranty on manufacturing defect (aka AppleCare Classic) part when you reached the 2 incident limit.