I'm impressed by the quality of the stainless steel.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Steve Ballmer, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Steve Ballmer macrumors 6502

Steve Ballmer

I was concerned that the stainless steel band would be the scratch magnet it has been on the rear side of iPod models. But so far, so good. Been using the iPhone 4 with no case for the past few days now and there are no scratches whatsoever on it. It seems to take after the anodized aluminum of the iPod nano and MacBook Pro. I wonder if this new steel alloy will find its way onto future Apple products.

2. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

The iPod backs and bezel on the previous iPhones are chrome.

3. Qinetic macrumors member

I don't think stainless steel is practical for larger Apple products. It would likely be significantly heavier and I'd guess the price is much more compared to aluminum.

4. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

The backs of iPods (as mentioned by Apple themselves) is polished stainless steel, it's possibly the same for the old iPhone bezel as well. People cite it as chrome though as it looks pretty much identical.

"Available in quintessential silver or striking black, iPod classic catches your eye with its sleek, all-metal enclosure composed of anodized aluminum and polished stainless steel. "

5. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

The quality of the stainless steel is pretty impressive. I tried to scratch it with a coin and a pushpin and neither left a mark. I think thus is much more durable then the 3G and 3GS versions.

6. Steve Ballmer thread starter macrumors 6502

Steve Ballmer

Seems like it is, at least to me. Of course, the stainless steel on the iPod models and the earlier iPhone models was polished, it's possible this particular steel alloy is anodized.

Anyway, I'm hoping it's here to stay on future iPhone models, because it's both durable and scratch resistant.

7. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

aluminum*, chrome is just the style.

8. dontworry macrumors 6502

dontworry

"The iPod classic is available in silver and black, and has an anodized aluminum and polished stainless steel enclosure."-Apple

I might try to polish my stainless and see what it looks like. I've already been thinking about how to weld a lanyard ring on the corner.

9. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

the stainless steel band is the antenna, I wouldnt try to modify it

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Definitely agreed.

Some owners of the original iPhone actually gave the bezel a brushed aluminum look using sandpaper.