I'm in a pickle!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thewizzy, May 17, 2012.

  1. thewizzy macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2010
    #1
    I'm so indecisive that I'm losing sleep. Need your almighty advice.

    My iPhone 4 (16gb) went poo & won't turn on. And I can't figure out the exact problem because my lock & home button are broken. It'll cost $80 to repair both.

    Since my contract was running up with AT&T, I decided to just save my $ and get the 8gb 3GS for $1.

    Now I realized I need the extra gigs. What do I do?

    A) Return 3GS and get a 4S for $200 (+restocking fee)
    B) repair iPhone 4, give mother the 3GS
    C) quit being materialistic and keep the 3GS
     
  2. chambone macrumors 6502a

    chambone

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2011
    Location:
    Netherlands
    #2
    Or D) sell the 4 on ebay for parts, get the 5 when it arrives and then give mom the 3GS
     
  3. thewizzy thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2010
    #3
    Wasted my upgrade already. Unless I can retract it.
     
  4. andross77 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2011
    #4
    If you don't care about phones that much and just want something to connect with people, keep the 3GS. But the way I always look at it is this: you keep your phone on your for MANY hours of the day (some of us, all hours) and you sign into these 2 year contracts when you go with the big 4. So when you get a 3GS for $1, you might spend $2401 over the 24 months (if your bill was $100 after taxes which is a reasonable amount for an iphone). If you instead get the iphone that is 2 years newer and pay $200, you spend $2600 over 24 months.

    So would you rather spend $2401 and have a lesser phone in every regard or enjoy a better phone EVERY DAY for 730 days for $2600?

    The choice for someone that cares about phones and the experience they have using a mobile device is obvious. So is the choice for people that glance at their phone once or twice a day and send 4 text messages per month :)

    Figure out which you are, then you have the answer

    (obviously if you are living paycheck to paycheck and $200 over the course of 24 months (or $8 and change a month) is a big deal to you, you shouldn't have an iphone in the first place. you should go boost mobile or cricket or etc)
     
  5. thewizzy thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2010
    #5
    Brilliant point. Anyone know if I'm able to return the 3GS and wait for the 5 to use my upgrade?
     
  6. djransom macrumors 68040

    djransom

    Joined:
    May 14, 2008
    Location:
    Chi-Town
    #6
    Long as you're within the return period then yes you can return it.
     
  7. thewizzy thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2010
    #7
    Awesome. I might repair my 4 while I wait. Although now I'm scared repairing my buttons won't fix my phone. Risk worth to take? Hm
     
  8. andyx3x macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2011
    #8
    Or you can go to the Apple Store and pay $150 for an out of warranty replacement phone and you will still keep your upgrade. I don't know how tight money is for you but that is what I would do.
     
  9. DroidRules macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2010
    #9
    Why didn't you just spend the $150 for an OOW replacement and keep your upgrade for i5?

    I know you said you were trying to save $ but if you spend the $150 now you'll def get that back in 6 months when the i5 comes out AND you'll have your upgrade. I say return the 3gs, keep upgrade, pay for OOW replacement, sell when the i5 comes out and rock a new phone.
     
  10. thewizzy thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2010
    #10
    What do you mean get it back? Sell it off?

    I think I'm just going to dish out $80 and get my buttons fixed, hope that it isn't a hardware issue, return 3GS, wait for 5.

    Fingers crossed
     
  11. supernet33 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2008
    #11
    Why don't you just spend $149.00 and get the iphone 4 swapped?
     
  12. antman2295 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2010
    #12
    The most sensible thing IMO, would be to play $150 for out of warranty replacement, then then when the iPhone 5 comes out you can sell it for approximately $200 - $250, since that what iPhone 4's are selling for on craigslist in my area. If it sells for $150, no big deal, at least you broke even. With the $150 ATLEAST YOU KNOW EVERYTHING WILL WORK, unlike the $80 that might work, and might not. That's just my 2 cents.
     

Share This Page