I'm in a pickle!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thewizzy, May 17, 2012.

1. thewizzy macrumors member

I'm so indecisive that I'm losing sleep. Need your almighty advice.

My iPhone 4 (16gb) went poo & won't turn on. And I can't figure out the exact problem because my lock & home button are broken. It'll cost $80 to repair both.

Since my contract was running up with AT&T, I decided to just save my $ and get the 8gb 3GS for $1.

Now I realized I need the extra gigs. What do I do?

A) Return 3GS and get a 4S for $200 (+restocking fee)
    B) repair iPhone 4, give mother the 3GS
    C) quit being materialistic and keep the 3GS

2. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

Or D) sell the 4 on ebay for parts, get the 5 when it arrives and then give mom the 3GS

3. thewizzy thread starter macrumors member

Wasted my upgrade already. Unless I can retract it.

4. andross77 macrumors regular

If you don't care about phones that much and just want something to connect with people, keep the 3GS. But the way I always look at it is this: you keep your phone on your for MANY hours of the day (some of us, all hours) and you sign into these 2 year contracts when you go with the big 4. So when you get a 3GS for $1, you might spend $2401 over the 24 months (if your bill was $100 after taxes which is a reasonable amount for an iphone). If you instead get the iphone that is 2 years newer and pay $200, you spend $2600 over 24 months.

So would you rather spend $2401 and have a lesser phone in every regard or enjoy a better phone EVERY DAY for 730 days for $2600?

The choice for someone that cares about phones and the experience they have using a mobile device is obvious. So is the choice for people that glance at their phone once or twice a day and send 4 text messages per month :)

Figure out which you are, then you have the answer

(obviously if you are living paycheck to paycheck and $200 over the course of 24 months (or $8 and change a month) is a big deal to you, you shouldn't have an iphone in the first place. you should go boost mobile or cricket or etc)

5. thewizzy thread starter macrumors member

Brilliant point. Anyone know if I'm able to return the 3GS and wait for the 5 to use my upgrade?

6. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Long as you're within the return period then yes you can return it.

7. thewizzy thread starter macrumors member

Awesome. I might repair my 4 while I wait. Although now I'm scared repairing my buttons won't fix my phone. Risk worth to take? Hm

8. andyx3x macrumors 65816

Or you can go to the Apple Store and pay $150 for an out of warranty replacement phone and you will still keep your upgrade. I don't know how tight money is for you but that is what I would do.

9. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Why didn't you just spend the $150 for an OOW replacement and keep your upgrade for i5?

I know you said you were trying to save $ but if you spend the $150 now you'll def get that back in 6 months when the i5 comes out AND you'll have your upgrade. I say return the 3gs, keep upgrade, pay for OOW replacement, sell when the i5 comes out and rock a new phone.

10. thewizzy thread starter macrumors member

What do you mean get it back? Sell it off?

I think I'm just going to dish out $80 and get my buttons fixed, hope that it isn't a hardware issue, return 3GS, wait for 5.

Fingers crossed

11. supernet33 macrumors regular

Why don't you just spend $149.00 and get the iphone 4 swapped?

12. antman2295 macrumors 6502

The most sensible thing IMO, would be to play $150 for out of warranty replacement, then then when the iPhone 5 comes out you can sell it for approximately $200 - $250, since that what iPhone 4's are selling for on craigslist in my area. If it sells for $150, no big deal, at least you broke even. With the $150 ATLEAST YOU KNOW EVERYTHING WILL WORK, unlike the $80 that might work, and might not. That's just my 2 cents.