Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
OMG, I went to CompSUCK'SA and bought Halo 2 and that. Well while I was there I went and checked out the iMac G5. OMG I want one of those so badly, they look really really nice. Have a nice texture, and are just the perfect all round machine. You guys have got to keep me on my toes this summer to save up for one.

jimjiminyjim

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2003
Canada
The upgrade from your laptop should be phenomenal. You know, of course, that tiger will not run on your laptop... meaning you *must* start saving for the iMac G5.

timsq

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2004
New Orleans
Reverence for the almighty iMac is good. It brings the fluid of commerce to our fair lair. iMac therefore G5.

williamsonrg

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Denver, CO
My mother just asked me what working-class families buy their children when they graduate from college (since I'm not going to be getting a new car or anything, like some people). I thought that was a perfect time to mention that I needed a new computer, and I would LOVE an iMac... the price was a little disconcerting for her, but hopefully she'll get over it.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
The design of it just made it look flawless. I feel comfortable using a mac. on this pc it feels like I'm going to crash it opening Notepad, or even looking at the date and time.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Have you started making plans for how you will earn the money for the iMac G5? It should be a very worth while cause.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
I work and make 6 an hour, will be like 6.50 in spring so it'll go a tiny bit faster. I'm going to save it up over the summer and or during the months of Jan-Aug.

jimjiminyjim

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2003
Canada
That's dedication. I hope it spills over into the rest of your life (or maybe it spills over *from* the rest of your life). Awesome.

*Y*

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2004
VA
Yeah the iMac G5 does look pretty tight. I wish you luck in saving for it.

jjmaximum

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2004
Gainesville, FL
Worth it

Bought a 17" 1.8 iMac for the wife - it arrived a few days ago . Worth every penny. The fit, finish, style, etc. are quite stunning. Strongly recommend the wireless keyboard/mouse - it should actually be standard. :D

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
nichos said:
Not a flame, but isnt "CompSUCK'SA" a bit of a stretch?

Not really. In computers it is traditional to pronounce whatever is pronuncible, so we normally say "Comp-you-sa". So slookster is just changing the word in the middle.

For you young folks, traditions are important. "SCSI" is pronounced "scuzzy". "JPEG" is pronounced "jay-peg". "BASF" is pronounced "bassif". "BMP" is pronounced "bimp". I never tried to pronounce "www" myself, but I've heard "dubdubdub" and "wuhwuhwuh".

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
cubist said:
For you young folks, traditions are important. "SCSI" is pronounced "scuzzy". "JPEG" is pronounced "jay-peg". "BASF" is pronounced "bassif". "BMP" is pronounced "bimp". I never tried to pronounce "www" myself, but I've heard "dubdubdub" and "wuhwuhwuh".

I follow the SCSI and JPEG conventions, but for whatever reason when is see BMP, I say "Bit map" to myself. And for WWW, i say double U, double U, double U, just like the letters.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
I love my iMac G5 too, and apparently it loves me back; its always whispering sweet nothings, er I mean, buzzing annoyingly in my ear.

You know, I do wish wireless was standard, or at least the keyboard cable needs to be a lot longer.

I want to use the Apple keyboard, but its cable is like 2 ft long and it simply cannot work with my pull-out-tray style desk.

Making their keyboards with such short cables is a terrible idea.

Having the cable a bit too long wouldnt be nearly as bad as having it too short. At least with being a little too long, people could still use it.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Josh said:
I love my iMac G5 too, and apparently it loves me back; its always whispering sweet nothings, er I mean, buzzing annoyingly in my ear.

You know, I do wish wireless was standard, or at least the keyboard cable needs to be a lot longer.

I want to use the Apple keyboard, but its cable is like 2 ft long and it simply cannot work with my pull-out-tray style desk.

Making their keyboards with such short cables is a terrible idea.

Having the cable a bit too long wouldnt be nearly as bad as having it too short. At least with being a little too long, people could still use it.

If its only two feet then I'm getting screwed by PC keyboards. The one I have is prbably only 18" or so.... ok maybe a TINY bit longer 18.001".

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Yotabyte said:

Not to burst any bubbles. But this is how most retailers merchandise their products. It's been this way ever since people starting trading. "Without lying, make the customer think they are getting a better deal than they actually are."

I always look for the ACTUAL price and NEVER concider rebates as part of the equation. I always try to educate myself about the products before going to the store. Otherwise I can only blame myself if the less-than-knowlegable salespersons suckers me into buying something. I always try to be very sure of my purchase so I don't have to deal with a return.

Having said that, I've only had one bad experience with CompUSA and after being firm in my argument, they eventually saw things my way. :D

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Wow u're one of the lucky ones. (yes u're is you are) My brother bought a defective iPod, wanted his money back and only gave him $250 back bc they couldn't give him more than $250, so he had to spend like $10 in the store. I hate CompUSA, but when I save up money for an iMac that'll be where I'll get it from.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.