Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
Not bad, its nice how the background colour is subtle, and not overly dark. But it seems a little to scraggly for me, the background has a lot of squiggles and what not, its distracting. Maybe if you were to crop some of it, it might make it less distracting. The subject of the picture, the log, is kind of interesting, but not overly.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
besides the fact the safari is faster and the only browser to pass web 2.0 test...

Wow, that's a brilliant comeback. There is no such thing as a "web 2.0 test", that couldn't be farther off. You mean the ACID test, and its completely meaningless. Save the browser wars for app talk, you asked for criticism and I (among others) pointed out that we can't see the images to critique them.

PS - Safari passes the Acid 2 test but fails the Acid 3 test...

AppleIntelRock

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Wow, that's a brilliant comeback. There is no such thing as a "web 2.0 test", that couldn't be farther off. You mean the ACID test, and its completely meaningless. Save the browser wars for app talk, you asked for criticism and I (among others) pointed out that we can't see the images to critique them.

:rolleyes: Having fun flexing your intellectual knowledge muscles on an internet forum? Impressive, impressive indeed.

thr33face

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
somewaht sleepless today. so therefore i looked at every single one.

one thing in general:
the images are too small to be nicely looked at.

here's what was on my mind when looking at the photos:

0: underexposed and nothing interesting too see: not the light and not the composition. looks like an accidental snapshot

1: too much to the side of those wales.

2: nice soft tones. the smooth green leaves work well with the grainy sand and rough wood

3: boring. again like an accidental snap.

4: show me more of that yellow bit and it might be nicer. colours are generally fine

5: if it was perfectly straight on and had some ligt around the edges this would be graphically nice.

6: it's crooked by a small amount which is deadly for this type of shots. needs a bit more contrast and maybe some WB tuning.

7: maybe exclude the top 10% of the frame

8: dramatic clouds. i'd try to bring out the glint of red/orange in the right for an even more dramatic feel

9: highly abstract golden, green something with super nice symmetry. this one is absolutely great.

10: although the same subject as before i like #9 better (because of the dark center line). it's still nice.

11: the light is too hard in this one. i don't like the shadowing

12: nice texture, but rather uninteresting interpretion. maybe include the bench into a scene with something extremely smooth for visual contrast.

13: good idea to show off glass with mostly brick. i'd try to bring out the green more for increased contrast.

14: too sepia with no real highlights.

15: too blurry/soft. this kind of thing needs super sharpness to bring out the edgy feel of the building. also some kind of dramatic sky could help. maybe go there again on a stormy day or near sunset.

16: still doesn't work

17: i remember this one

18: lovely texture. but this needs something to stir up the colour contrast. (some kind of object? weird lines?)

19: well, no. doesn't work for me. sky is too plain and building too cut. so nothing interesting can sho.

20: would work wonderfully if you had a T/S lens to shift the image plane in line with the bumpers. alternatively: bring out the yellow more (punch!)

21: i can see the white rimmed tire,which reminds me of old cars. this doens't justify the use of sepia and no contrast here. also the angele seems strange to me, plus not a lot of story is going on.

22: repeating things are nice. too bad the sky is pure white and kills the mood. otherwise nice.

23: ok, now soft light is there, but it's the no good light temperature. and the (not real) symmetry doesn't work here.

24:eek:h yes, wet stone and green nature always work together. but i'd say this is way to close to the scence to appreciate it.

25: still not there

26: needs more interesting reflections in the windows, like a storm or sunset or sth.

27: oh #15 again. still needs more dramatic things in the sky. although sharp now, 15 is better.

28: too much of a snapshot and a lot of dust on that sensor right in the middle.

29: that is a wonderful combination of soft gold and stormy blue. the crooked horizon on the other hand is very distracting.

30: the colours are special and work very well together, but why is the bird looking out of the frame?

31: i like the foam bubbles, but i'd have removedd that shell. the foam alone works nicely.

32: no, this absolutely doesnt't work

33: soft cute colours. like the tones. compositionally i'd have put the wood on the lower side of the frame and not centered. that way the background fades more into nice soft bokeh.

34: wherever that was, explore that region more, as the light is very nice. the subject is not all that interesting and the background is very disracting.

35: show a little more of the left tree (green orange nice) and forget about the right one.

36: somewaht dull and no point of attention

37: same idea as #13, but this one won't work

38: this needs to be perfectly straight and a lot more contrast.

39: it's crooked and tells me nothing

40: can't exactly explain it, but this one is not interesting to me

41: too much foreground. i'd say give it some more steps and some more space on the right.

42: so extremely centerd that this probably nice wave looks unintersting and super small. also it would more dramatic if the wave came rolling from one side to the other and not back to front: shoot it at an angle

43: take this one again, but don't crop it this time and show more of water and sand. but give more space to the sand.

AppleIntelRock

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
somewaht sleepless today. so therefore i looked at every single one.

one thing in general:
the images are too small to be nicely looked at.

here's what was on my mind when looking at the photos:

0: underexposed and nothing interesting too see: not the light and not the composition. looks like an accidental snapshot

1: too much to the side of those wales.
43: take this one again, but don't crop it this time and show more of water and sand. but give more space to the sand.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate you taking the time to go through all of those, thanks. I went through them, comment by comment, and agree with you almost 100%, so again, thanks a lot.
My lens collection is HORRIBLE and I'm very excited to be receiving my 50mm/1.4 soon, I'll be sure to go back to San Francisco and take some better pictures.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
Photos viewable in most recent build of Firefox 2.x, however larger photos are slow to load. As already mentioned, larger sizes would be nice. From the first few I loaded:

0: Don't like the slanted horizon. totally a subjective point though (as many might like the effect)

1: Crop out the horizon

2: Good, but there is a lot of dead space. This could be a good thing though, no need to be too busy. Only photo with a clear story to tell––very good.

3: Slow motion blur should be used sparingly and pointedly. Emphasis on the latter.

4: I like this one a lot… simple, straightforward, with subject interest. The yellow brings in some color too.

5: San… I don't get it.

6: Boring perspective, but there's not much you can do about that. Colors are all around very similar (-> dull)

7: Anyone can take a picture of the beach. What makes yours different? (This is a challenge type question)

8: I like the difference in color and perspective. Good time to take photos, the sky is just right.

9: The side of a building? Colors are similar, and, again, I don't like the slanted horizon.

It's a good thing y'all reminded me to download FF3, I went to do so earlier this morning and couldn't (open at 10am Pacific?!? That's Late!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.