I'm in the process of jailing my iPod and have some questions:

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Bushybrows, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Bushybrows macrumors newbie

Hello online community,

I am in the process of jailing my iPod touch. I think it's a 2nd Generation but it acts like a 3rd because it is a tethered jailbreak with blackra1n RC3. I want to jail my iPod because I don't want to trick Apple into letting me keep using old software if I restore(I used Cydia to get my SHSHs)...I think it's dishonest to trick Apple.

I removed most of my Cydian apps and I have just a few questions:

1) If I jail my iPod using the update to 4.0 method, will the SHSHs go away?

2) If I jail my iPod using the update to 4.0 method, am I supposed to change my root and mobile passwords back to alpine? Will there be consequences if I do?

3) Will updating to 4.0 with SHSHs on file trick Apple in the future if I have to restore? I don't want to trick Apple.

4) Is it/ will it be possible to re-jailbreak with Spirit for 4.0 if I upgrade to 4.0?

5) Will my device still be tethered if I jail my iPod or can I boot normally?

6) Is there a way to remove my SHSHs through Cydia? I don't want them.

Thanks everyone. I really don't want to trick Apple because it's kinda dishonest.:D

2. Bushybrows thread starter macrumors newbie

Can I get my SHSHs off the Cydia Server?

Can I get my SHSHs off the Cydia Server? I don't want to trick Apple because I think it's dishonest.

3. 213rules macrumors member

Dude, it's called jailbreaking, not jailing. Keep that in mind. I'll try to answer you questions with the knowledge I have.

1. I don't think so
    2. You can use whatever passwords you want
    3. The SHSHs allow you to downgrade your iPod in case you don't like 4.0. It's not really tricking Apple.
    4. You have to downgrade to 3.1.2, then upgrade to 4.0 if you want to jailbreak a 3rd gen/ MC model 8 GB iPod touch.
    5. You have to use sn0wbreeze, which I believe is untethered.
    6. They are there for backup, and are on Saurik's server. Why would you want to get rid of them?

You know, jailbreaking is now legal, so it ain't dishonest to trick apple anymore. Not that it ever was.

And my advice: Don't upgrade to 4.0 if you have a 8GB iPod touch. It reduces your storage by 200 MB (lowering capacity to 6.8 GB), makes your iPod slower, and does nothing helpful. Especially if you enable multitasking and backgrounds. I know from upgrading my 2nd gen iPod. So just stick with 3.1.3.

4. Bushybrows thread starter macrumors newbie

I know it is called jailbreaking. I jailbroke my 3rd Gen iPod Touch with Blackra1n RC3. I wanted to "jail" my iPod or for those who can't figure out what that means, I wanted to submit to Apple and their software restrictions.

As far as the SHSH thing goes, Saurik says himself on Cydia that "You need to trick apple into letting you keep old hardware. At first I didn't know what this meant. I thought iTunes would force you to upgrade to the ios4 if you didn't do this. I now know that SHSHs let you restore to a firmware version that Apple won't sign for anymore. They won't approve your restore.

What SHSHs do is TRICK APPLE into letting you restore into an earlier version of their firmware by keeping the (paraphrasing saurik here) "yes, that's fine" on your device for a restore to an earlier version.

What you actually do is trick iTunes into thinking that Cydia is Apple. You are pretty much forging Apple's signiature. It is comparable to getting some famous person's signiature and then constructing a will to let you have their house when they're dead.

Anyway, I think forgery is dishonest. As it turns out, I didn't get the SHSH's on file for the 3.1.2 (my current) firmware anyway. I have the blobs for 4.0 only. My only restore could be to 4.0.

If that's the case, I have decided to not un-jailbreak or "jail" my iPod anymore. I'll just keep the 3.1.2 firmware and wait for a jailbreak for 4.0 for a 3rd Gen iPod touch (not MC model). I was also thinking about submitting to Apple's software distribution rules because Geohot is quitting and he is the person I wanted to stick with.

It does raise the question though...since 3rd party distributors are not paying the $99/year thing to distribute their apps through the app store, does that mean that since we're gaining from their breaking of the app store rules are we doing something wrong?

Anywho, thanks for the help. I still would like to know whether you are still tethered if you jail your iPod.