I'm just wondering... how is everyone able to upgrade without paying full price?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Photography, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

I'm just wondering... how is everyone able to upgrade to the iPhone 5 without paying full price? Was it just a coincidence that you happened to be eligible for an upgrade with your wireless carrier so you can pay the subsidized price for the iPhone 5 instead of paying full price? It seems many people are able to do this.

Were you just waiting in anticipation for the new iPhone 5 to be released, while using an old phone? Or are you just signing up with a new carrier? Given that many people are locked into a 2 year contract, I don't see how so many people are eligible for upgrades at just the right time when the iPhone 5 comes out.

This question obviously doesn't apply to people who are buying the iPhone 5 at full price.

Please let me know, as I'm interested how so many people are eligible for upgrades with the subsidized prices instead of paying full price. If you could share what carrier you're with, and what your method is, that would be great.

2. sk8r1230 macrumors 6502

sk8r1230

many people have family plans with other lines that are available, people create dummy lines to get the phone, people switch to a carrier that supports 4g lte in their area and pay to get out of there contract if they are unhappy enough, and some see the value in the phone and buy it outright

3. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I have a iPhone 4, I am out of contract. Thats how I was able to buy my phone at the full subsidized price.

I skipped the 4S as it was too incremental and I really saw no reason to upgrade from the 4. I did the same thing with the 3, I skipped the 3GS and went to the 4.

I tend to upgrade on their large updates which seem to be every 2 years and skip the minor incremental updates like the 4S and 3GS.

4. rican macrumors 6502

rican

^^^ Exactly what he said... :apple: :D

5. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Iphone 4 was released June 2010. It has been 27 months, so anyone who bought a 4 within three months of launch is eligible. The 4s was a minor upgrade for people with 4's so not many people upgraded.

6. jimmirehman macrumors 6502

i just pay full price... its not that big of a deal really...

7. n2deep macrumors member

8. swarmster macrumors 6502a

swarmster

It's not a matter of how 'incremental' a release is, it's that carriers have enforced a 2-year upgrade cycle. Either you get a new phone every 2 years for cheap or you pay through the nose for a new phone every year...so I get a new phone every 2 years.

Bought a 4 two years ago. The 4S was an amazing phone vs. the 4, and the 5 is amazing vs. the 4S, so I'm very much looking forward to the jump.

9. cwosigns macrumors 65816

I'll pay full price to keep my unlimited data plan on Verizon.

10. mojo pin macrumors regular

mojo pin

11. CoolBradG macrumors regular

My parents never upgrade their phones but even so my contract for my iPhone 4 ends next month.

12. meganator macrumors member

Bought my first iPhone, a 4 in September of 2010. So I'm at 24 months and due for an upgrade.

13. tiggerr0 macrumors newbie

My contract expired in June. I've had my 4 since the day before launch day two years. I am have been not so patiently waiting for the 5 to upgrade. I am with AT &T.

14. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

I preordered my iPhone 4 through AT&T, so I have had it for over two years now. (Like the person above me, I also got my the day before official launch.) My contract expired a couple of months ago. I personally don't see the point in upgrading every year. I think two years is really a sweet spot when it comes to phone upgrades.

15. bszelda macrumors newbie

I was able to upgrade on July 23 of this year. I waited to use that upgrade knowing that the iPhone 5 would be out later the same year. I'm glad I waited. I got the 32 GB on it's way for $320 (tax included). :)

16. KimMelton661 macrumors 6502

I had no upgrade, so I just paid full price. A nice, whopping $696 after tax. I had buyers remorse the day after...LOL.

17. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

18. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

For all of us iPhone 4 owners, the time has come. Our phones are nearing two years old and we are yearning for something faster and better. Contracts are up, it is time.

Sadly all you 4s owners have to wait unless you want to pay a small fortune. HOWEVER, think about it. You're going to get an even BETTER phone in another year! So it's not quite so bad. :)

19. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

20. robopath macrumors regular

This is correct, although most carriers give you a few "free" months. They use an algorithm that determines your value as a customer. In my case now, I got the 4 in June 2010 and could upgrade in Feb of 2012. So if you are a good customer to them, you could have purchased a 4 in early 2011 and may be eligible now.

21. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I used my step-sons upgrade. I pay the bill, I get the new phone.

22. LetMeBlastU macrumors regular

LetMeBlastU

I personally waited. I had a 4. The 4S just was not enough for me to make the jump into another 2 year contract with the devil (AT&T):). So we waited. I was extremely disappointed when the 4S came out. Remember seeing all those new "teardrop" design cases floating around in AT&T stores before the release. Really thought there was going to be a re-design. So obviously im eligible

23. rman726 macrumors 6502

I used my early upgrade. I debated paying full price or paying early upgrade, and decided that early upgrade was the way to go. It only cost $250 extra, which isn't bad.

24. LetMeBlastU macrumors regular

LetMeBlastU

ftw!!!!

25. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

I currently have the 4S and this is how I did it:

1. Pre-sold my iPhone 4S on gazelle.com for $300
    2. On Friday I will pay $549 for the iPhone 5 32GB
    3. Called AT&T and asked what they could do to keep me a customer and they are giving me a $150 bill credit

So if you take the $549-$300-$150 then the iPhone 5 32 GB is only costing me $99.