I'm like a kid in a adult video store when it comes to Mac - what should I get?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by boxed juice, Aug 2, 2009.

1. boxed juice macrumors newbie

I've use PC my entire life.
    But I need a good Mac for professional use.
    I'm a freelance artist and I'm going to be using programs like Photoshop cs4/Illustrator and possibly Maya. I will also be running 'beat making' programs and video editors.
    Basically, a bunch of pro-tools.
    Ill be running a website from here as well.

Any tips, suggestions or direction for a beginner Mac user would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    --Sam, aKa: the juice box

2. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Laptop or desktop?

I'd personally go for the best Mac Pro that you can afford, and then load it with RAM.

3. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

The MBP in my sig will run all that stuff just fine but I would say go for a mac pro tower for upgradeability, plus if your using sound software its nice to have your sound library on a seperate LARGE drive.

4. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Top of the line iMac,
    Macbook Pro
    or if you can afford it, a mac pro.

Then maybe sign up for one to one, and have apple show you the basics. Then you can always come here for questions as they arise! :)

5. GodWhomIsMike macrumors 6502a

The top of the line Mac Pro. What's your budget?

6. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

I would follow others suggestions as well but I have a question for you. Would you consider yourself good with a computer? If so I don't think you will have any problems getting used to a mac I used PC my whole life until about 2 years ago it was only 10 minutes after I had the computer up and running and I already knew it like the back of my palm I was already messing with system files I didn't have any problems at all ( but then again I used linux off and on which is sorta similar ) if your fairly good with a computer I think your transition should go just as smooth.

7. boxed juice thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009
    If you're going to use the applications intensively, sometimes, simultaneously, you have to go for a Mac Pro. The base model with 6GB of RAM will do just fine, if you can afford it.

If their usage will be limited, you can always go for an iMac, which has the display included. Get the top of the line one, and upgrade it to the Radeon GPU.

And what's your budget, by the way?

9. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

+1

Top of the line Mac Pro is the computer for you

10. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

The Mac Pro is what you want, then Pair it with a Dell 2408 Display.

11. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

mac pros make me drooolll lol.. but in truth i have been using a mac mini for the last 3 years to make music and been using photoshop on there and stuff. Using protools audio recording software to mix a 23 track multitrack song. That machines 3 years old. So you can definitely achieve quite alot with even the basic line-up i would go for as much as you can get mac pro. With a secondary HD and some extra RAM (up the ram to 4/6GB you will be away) If your doing video and/or audio stuff make sure that your secondary HD is 7200RPM that is nigh on essential! lol ;-)

PTP