I'm looking at buying the AirPort Extreme Base Station with Gigabit Ethernet

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SandersHokie, Sep 17, 2007.

1. SandersHokie macrumors 6502

but i have a few questions before i do.

i'm looking at buying it so i can hook my printer up to it and have my printer print wirelessly. how do you know if your printer is capable of doing that? Also, it would be nice because I could also hook my external hard drive up if i wanted to do that.

Another question, are they going to update them anytime soon, any rumors to that?

The main problem I have is that the ethernet port is in my roommates room, is there anything else I could buy that I could hook my printer up in my room and still have the AEB in my roommates room since that is where the ethernet port is? thanks for all the help.

appreciate it guys.

2. scanlanlee macrumors member

scanlanlee

I recently bought an AEB and have linked a Samsung laser printer to it this is shared to windows and mac via bonjour and works flawlessly.
    I have heard that sticking a USB hub off the back allows you to share printer and HDD at the same time, but i haven't tried this myself.
    It works well and looks great...what else would you expect from apple

Oh and as it is about as fast as it could be at the moment i can't see any updated version for a while.

hope this helps,

3. SandersHokie thread starter macrumors 6502

excellent. but, is there anyway i can have the printer in my room and the AEB in my roommates room? The ethernet port we are using is in his room, so we'd have to put the AEB in his room.

4. scanlanlee macrumors member

scanlanlee

you could get a wireless print server to run the printer and the connect the AEB in the next room i suppose, but if you do make sure that your printer is compatible as a lot of them aren't.

5. scanlanlee macrumors member

scanlanlee

6. blodwyn macrumors 65816

The cheapest way would be to run an ethernet cable from your roommates room to your room, and have the AEBS and Printer in your room. Otherwise you will need a wireless print server as suggested, or run a long USB printer cable.

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I have had more luck with long runs of ether than usb. You could also get a Airport Express and run the printer on that. It could run in WDS mode along with the AEBS. Your maximum n speeds would be cut down to 130mbps, however, as the Airport Express is an 802.11g system.