Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

13onifishjr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
Bloomington IN
I have standard apple earbuds which are fine for traveling and being out and about. but when i'm settled down at my place i'd like a pair of headphones that sound great with portability not being an issue. i don't want to spend over 100 dollars and would definitely like spending less. i've been looking at grado's sr60i and they look great but it seems like they don't have good bass and that's not really what i'm looking for. i listen to lots of rock, alternative and hip-hop and i'd really like the bass for hip-hop. also, i've heard that the grado's require an amp to sound their best and that seems inconvienient seeing as i'm completely ignorant about all these advanced sound things. If i could get something that simply plugged into my ipod touch that'd be wonderful. thanks in advance for your time! i'm excited to hear what you guys have to recommend. :D

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Here are my thoughts on the Panasonic RP-HTX7s.

There are few people that complain about these, especially at $30. Overall the sound is a tad bit colored and bass heavy. But they are incredibly comfortable and give you great sound at the price. I understand your hesitancy towards the Grados.

Matty-p

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
Here are my thoughts on the Panasonic RP-HTX7s.

There are few people that complain about these, especially at $30. Overall the sound is a tad bit colored and bass heavy. But they are incredibly comfortable and give you great sound at the price. I understand your hesitancy towards the Grados.

Yea in a simmalr price range are the senhsser HD 202 now I have a pair of these IMO sound great for less than 30$ but and this is a bug but mine broke after about 3 months mine brok on only one driver works and it sounds quite and tinny like a mobile phone personally I swallowed the cost considering that they were so cheap but be warned if you get these wile they sound great (better or as good as my ($350) speakers/monitors) they may break before a year

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Yea in a simmalr price range are the senhsser HD 202 now I have a pair of these IMO sound great for less than 30$ but and this is a bug but mine broke after about 3 months mine brok on only one driver works and it sounds quite and tinny like a mobile phone personally I swallowed the cost considering that they were so cheap but be warned if you get these wile they sound great (better or as good as my ($350) speakers/monitors) they may break before a year

Sennheiser should replace them, they don't sound like monitors though.

Matty-p

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
Sennheiser should replace them, they don't sound like monitors though.

Yea they should replace them but I brought them online (amozon) and I'd have to root around in the loft for the box fill out a retern slip package up the box put and take it down to the post office for me that isn'T worth it just for £16 or $30 in the us . Yea ther not really moniors there really like a really high end low power hifi system. I was just trying to get across that for the price they sound good but build quality is cr*p

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
Even though the Audio-Technica ATH-M50s is in the upper regions of your budget, they're hard not to suggest when you want good sound with good, tight bass. Audio-Technica headphones are very easily driven, so a headphone amp won't be necessary. Here are two good threads about it. Another good option might be the Creative Aurvana Live. It's a repackaged Denon AH-D1001; you can read about that here.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Yea they should replace them but I brought them online (amozon) and I'd have to root around in the loft for the box fill out a retern slip package up the box put and take it down to the post office for me that isn'T worth it just for £16 or $30 in the us . Yea ther not really moniors there really like a really high end low power hifi system. I was just trying to get across that for the price they sound good but build quality is cr*p

I would still try to contact Sennheiser. I purchased a pair of wireless sennheisers from eBay (before it turned to crap). One of the sides cracked off. I thought I was screwed because I didn't have a receipt, but they took care of it for me anyway.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
After a bunch of research a few years ago, I ended up buying a pair of the Denon AH-D1001's mentioned above, and I'm thrilled with them, though my use case is a bit different than yours.

I have them plugged into my Mac at work, and I was looking for accurate, unfatiguing sound, comfortable to wear all day, and not leaking sound into the (office) environment (which would rule out the otherwise impressive Grado's).

(FWIW, the Denons retail for $149, but I was able to find get them for a bit under $100 with a bit of patience and googling; at the moment I see OneCall listing the Denon AH-D1000S -- which is the previous model, but no real difference -- on Amazon for $99 with free shipping.)

A few of my friends swear by the Sennheiser HD-280's for the much the same use as I'm doing (and the price is nice), and I found them to have very good sound, and great isolation from outside noise, but they clamped my head so tightly I was worried about getting headaches (thus failing the "comfortable to wear all day" test) -- I've seen more than one comment about keeping them opened around something like a basketball for a few days, initially, to "stretch them out", so they don't squeeze your head so much. Sennheiser makes quite a few headphones with terrific sound in (mostly) price ranges above what you want to pay, which I steered clear of because they're (mostly) "open air" designs, and leak lots of sound into the environment ("your friends and neighbors can listen along with you"), which was a deal-breaker for me, but may be fine for you.

I would recommend looking around both on the http://www.head-fi.org/ web forums (which fits in the "taking a drink from a firehose" category) and http://www.headphone.com/ (which sells headphones, but has some very nicely done reviews, and lists of "best headphones for use X, and why").

Coldmode

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2010
My roommate has a pair of Sennheiser HD555s and loves them. I'm currently looking into buying a pair of HD595s. I don't really think you can go wrong with anything Sennheiser makes.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I have standard apple earbuds which are fine for traveling and being out and about. but when i'm settled down at my place i'd like a pair of headphones that sound great with portability not being an issue. i don't want to spend over 100 dollars and would definitely like spending less. i've been looking at grado's sr60i and they look great but it seems like they don't have good bass and that's not really what i'm looking for. i listen to lots of rock, alternative and hip-hop and i'd really like the bass for hip-hop. also, i've heard that the grado's require an amp to sound their best and that seems inconvienient seeing as i'm completely ignorant about all these advanced sound things. If i could get something that simply plugged into my ipod touch that'd be wonderful. thanks in advance for your time! i'm excited to hear what you guys have to recommend. :D

Strange what you have heard about the Grado. In my experience, it is all completely the opposite!

First, whoever told you the look great is lying. They are big and look retro (to be polite) or oldfashioned (to be impolite) and are absolutely indestructable. The sound is absolutely great. Connected to an amplifier you won't find anything for under $200 that sounds better except the Grado SR80. Connected to an iPod you will find _nothing_ that sounds better, not for any money.

The SR60i needs very little in power, so it is quite happy with the output from an iPod. Yes, you will get a little better quality with an amplifier, but the SR60i gets 90% of its maximum quality from an iPod, where all the more expensive headphones need a lot more power than the iPod can supply. The bass is not "great", it is exactly right. They don't add bass where it doesn't belong. Instead they give you incredible detail. You'll here things you haven't heard before. If you want headphones to use with an iPod, these are the best you could buy.

peebles

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2010
Madrid, Spain
I really agree with the GRADO option.

I use a pair of SR80 and man, they're unbelievable. SR60 are also really good (friend of mine) but in my opinion, more "blurry" with bass sounds. I know of 4 people who tried my SR80 and ran to the store to get some :)

I also don't like under-200$ Sehnheisers, sorry.

Zortrium

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
Don't have a lot of experience with different sets, but I'll second several other posters' recommendation of the Sennheiser HD 202s. My set has been used heavily for the past two years and is still going strong.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
I don't find Grados (very) comfortable. That said, I own a lot of their line. I agree that an amp is almost a necessity. Once you hear it amped you are never going back. Also realize their openness is going to prevent these from being used in public.

quantum003

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2009
Superposition
Gotta be honest, I spent $6 on a new pair of Sony headphones at Target because I was truly tired of the little nubs popping out of my ears all the time (especially at the gym), and I've been plenty happy with them. Great sound quality, unobtrusive plastic band keeps them in my ear holes... and $6. No need to drop major coinage if you don't need "second coming of Jesus" quality headphones. :)

Renese-Williams

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2010
Go with Skullcandy. They are the best sounding budget headphones that I have ever had. Plus, they have a lifetime warrenty. ;)

Jamo12

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Ohio
I would never buy a pair of skull candy headphones. If you don't mind sound leaking (open back headphones leak sound like no other) get those Sennheiser HD555's. They are RIDICULOUSLY AMAZING.

The 280 Pro's are good, but do not have booming bass, like you said you wanted. The 555's are also some of the most comfortable headphones EVAR!, while the 280's are sort of tight on your head and get less comfortable as time goes on.

If your willing to pay maybe $10 or $15 over $100 for the 555's you will not be sorry.

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
Get the Senn HD 280s.
While it's certainly okay, is has it's flaws. For one, it's are very analytical. It doesn't envelop you in the music; it's not engaging at all. And, indeed, it's bass is quite anemic. And it clamps a lot. Of course, this is just from reading, so take this all with a grain of salt.

If your willing to pay maybe $10 or $15 over $100 for the 555's you will not be sorry.
If the OP is indeed willing to spend near his upper budget limit, are you sure the HD 555 will get him the bass he's looking for? I'm thinking an open headphone might not be the way to go for hip-hop. Therefore, I'd still like to suggest the Audio-Technica ATH-M50s (feedback). The 's' stands for straight cord, as the regular ATH-M50 has a coiled cable. My other suggestion also still stands: the Creative Aurvana Live (feedback). This is also all from reading, so again, take it with a grain of salt.

Go with Skullcandy.
Here's a funny thread about Skullcandy on Head-Fi. Be warned before reading it, though: you might end up feeling seriously disappointed and deceived. I have never heard a Skullcandy headphone myself, though.

Jamo12

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Ohio
If the OP is indeed willing to spend near his upper budget limit, are you sure the HD 555 will get him the bass he's looking for? I'm thinking an open headphone might not be the way to go for hip-hop. Therefore, I'd still like to suggest the Audio-Technica ATH-M50s (feedback).[/i]

I do think the bass will be good for him with the open cans on the Senn 555's. It has a fantastic presence without making your ears bleed (figuratively) with pressure. It is great for alternative and rock, which he also said he was going for.
-Jamo

AllyAshantiBrow

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2010
after several years use of i pod headphones, I'm fairly sure I've damaged my ears listening too loudly with ear bud style headphones. I have no interest in in-ear headphones

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.