I'm looking to buy a V1 Iphone and have questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Spoonbb2, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Spoonbb2 macrumors newbie

Hi all, I'm new to Mac Forums. I have a question that's probably been discussed before but here's my situation.

I want to buy a V1 Iphone. I used to have one before but I sold it and bought a n 8925 Tilt. Now I miss my old iphone and want to buy one. My question is, should I buy a locked or unlocked iphone? Which firmware version is recommended? I am currently with ATT and am on a family plan. Can I just switch my Sim card from my Tilt over to an iphone I'll be purchasing? I'm sorry, I know these are many questions but I just need to know what I should do so I won't regret anything.

All help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks:)

2. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

Are you not eligable to upgrade to the iPhone 3G? I was under the impression if you owned an iPhone 1st Gen you were able to upgrade at the subsidized cost even after selling/ditching the iPhone.

Besides that I would buy locked that way you know nothing screwy has happened. Firmware doesn't matter as you can upgrade downgrade to your liking.

3. Spoonbb2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply Striker. I prefer to buy the 2g model over the 3g and I wasn't aware that I could upgrade even though I sold my 2g. It's really hard to find a locked one but I found one on craigslist here in San Francisco for $465 though:eek:

4. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

Why not buy a 3G one? It looks exactly the same besides the back of it. There's 3G, GPS, blah, blah, blah you know the details ;) If you can in fact get the iPhone 3G at the subsidized price the 16GB itself will cost you less than the $465 1Gen on Craigslist.

5. Spoonbb2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah actually that's one of the few things I like about the V1 is the back. I've held a 3g before and I much prefer the 2g.

6. Spoonbb2 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. Spoonbb2 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. illidian macrumors 6502

If your plan is to simply pop in your SIM and have your iPhone working, you'll need an unlocked iPhone (though you can do this yourself quite easily). If your intent is to sign up for an iPhone plan, then locked is just fine.

Firmware 2.0 is newer. The App Store is the biggest improvement. I guess if you don't want the features of 2.0, buying one with 1.1.4 will suit you just fine. You can load either onto your iPhone though.

9. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

2.0 is fully unlockable in the first gen iphone thought. If you can get one for a subsided prize i recommend the 3g one but if you dnt want to change your contract or being tied for 2 years just buy the old one. In fact the first one some times seems nicer than the 3g but the white look too good anyway. If its because of your countract i say Fu** ATT get an unlocked one.

10. Spoonbb2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your help guys!

I'm getting a brand new V1 tomorrow that's unlocked and jailbroken with the 2.0 version.

It boiled down to me not wanting to sign up for another 2 year contract although I'll miss the 3G. :(

Anyway, an iphone is an iphone right?

Anymore input is appreciated. Thanks!

11. showtime macrumors 6502

If you're on at&t I don't think you need the phone to be hacked in order to use your sim card. The 2.0 firmware takes any sim card now. This includes the 3G iPhones too.

Just something to consider before paying for an unlocked iphone. It's also very easy to do yourself if you do want to go that route.

12. Spoonbb2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Showtime,

Unfortunately, I'm not eligible to upgrade as I've had my 8925 tilt since Jan 2008 so I'm going for the V1. It would be great to get the 3G but I'll still like the V1:)