I'm loving these 'Emergency Alerts'

qckslvrsiete

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
I haven't gotten a single alert lol. Is location services a requirement?
I think this is a new feature in iOS 6 as I don't remember getting them before, but started getting them yesterday. You'll receive emergency alerts if you turn the option on (Settings > Notifications - Section: Government Alerts (Has Amber Alert and Emergency Alert options)).

I'm not sure how useful they are though. I got two warnings yesterday about a flash flood warning that was in effect about 50 miles north of me (my location wasn't even included in the official advisory when I looked it up). My guess is they were sent based on cell tower, and not GPS or location-based services.

Comment

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I believe those are carrier dependent and based on selected regions. There is supposed to be a place to disable them in in iOS in those areas where it works.

Comment

vipJj123

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2012
Option is in settings-notification, scroll to bottom. Option is on my iphone 5 for Verizon Denver, Colorado, USA

Comment

cole01

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2008
Kinda disappointed AT&T doesn't support this option in my area or just in general. Not that it'd come of THAT much use since I have other weather/news apps that send me push notifications for important things but wouldn't hurt to have!

Comment

nlkccom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2008
I'm in Los Angeles, and got 2 of these alerts yesterday afternoon when it was raining. First time I've ever seen it. I guess it's a Verizon thing. Never had this for years with AT&T.

Comment

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
I'm in Los Angeles, and got 2 of these alerts yesterday afternoon when it was raining. First time I've ever seen it. I guess it's a Verizon thing. Never had this for years with AT&T.
Considering Apple just added this feature a few weeks ago you probably wouldn't have gotten alerts for years. AT&T still doesn't support it though.
I am also curious if it makes a sound when the phone is in vibrate. That may be excessive if alerts come as frequently as shown here.

Comment

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Works great for hurricane evacuations, Flash Flood I don't need to worry about much, but I may soon as my house got declared as part of a flood plain.

Comment

tito2020

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2011
Hope they fix maps because if these alerts are associated with maps where screwd

Comment

PaulNY

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
Everyone in my department has verizon and their phones all went off at the same time with a flash flood warning (Moto Bionic, Samsung GSIII, iPhone 4S iOS6)

I'm on ATT with iPhone 5...I think it'd get a little irritating after a while.

Last edited:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.