I'm no fan boy, but...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cardinalryan, Oct 4, 2012.

1. cardinalryan macrumors 6502

cardinalryan

I have absolutely got to know what all these "issues" are that people are having with their iPhone 5's??

I got mine on launch day and have had zero issues. My brother and several friends got theirs on launch day too and not one issue.

Like my subject line says, I'm not an Apple fan boy...I have owned all of the iPhones, but I've also switched a few times to Android including owning the Samsung GS3.

I really think people complain about too much trivial stuff on this board. Outside of Macrumors, you are hard pressed to find "real" complaints about the iPhone 5.

If you are considering getting a 5 and you are on the fence, do not let some of the nitpicking going on here stop you. It's a fine device and one you will be happy with should you decide to purchase.

2. JD92, Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  3. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Its good that both you and your friends have received pristine iphone 5 handsets.

However some early adopters are having genuine problems which should be discussed.

Im still waiting to get my hands on one of these and am thankful of some of the posts on here, as they will help me to know what i'm looking for when i first open up the box.

4. adztaylor macrumors 68000

My iPhone 5 is flawless in every way but its foolish not to acknowledge the problems some people are having.

5. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

I'm in the same boat as you dude, my phone is working just fine and the outside of it looks just as good as when I opened it. No problems with the phone to report here!

6. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Good for you, but all people complaining about scuffs out of the box aren't all haters who want to make the iPhone look bad, most of them are just people like you who were unlucky.

I had my iPhone 5 yesterday and prior to that I read those forums thinking scuffgate was blown out of proportion and that only a few people got scuff out of the box, yet you heard a lot about it since unsatisfied customers are the loudest and others are just enjoying their iPhones without complaining.

But guess what? My iPhone 5 came with multiple scuffs out of the box too. It also came with some weird blue sticker on the side, it probably should have been removed before packaging.

We have no idea how much people are affected by scuffs, but even if it's as low as 10% that's disastrous since it represents tens of thousands of unsatisfied customers. People wonder how Apple didn't notice before shipping them, and it's normal given their marketing around "micron-level precision" and "feeling of an high-end watch".

Good for you if you weren't affected, but I'm an Apple fan myself and think Apple deserves the criticism, that move was a huge failure on their parts and if they lost sales because of it they 100% deserve it.

7. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

The only reason it seems like there are many issues with the i5 is because people who are unhappy cry the loudest. 99% of i5 owners are happy, the 1% is enough to post every small issue they have on the boards.

My wife and I have had the last four iPhones. We have not had any issues with any of them - zero. But, every time I come here I read people screaming and this and that.

8. legreen macrumors newbie

A courier came today to pick up my first faulty iPhone, I am currently waiting for a replacement for iPhone number 2 that has a split between the screen and casing on one side, and the courier said that he had picked up at least 40 iPhone 5s to send back to Apple. He hadn't known anything like it. He is waiting until the end of the year to buy his! So while I am sure there are thousands and thousands of perfectly fine handsets there are definitely faulty ones too.

9. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

When I first came to MR, the forums contained information and findings about the iPhone and the like. People were eager to help out those in need of it, and for every complaint there were 2-3 posts that were positive.

Since then the culture has shifted into a darker view to complain about whatever you have, for whatever reason. Most seem to be looking to place blame for their ails. If someone steps up in a positive tone, they seem to be labeled a fan boy, etc. Far too many posters are unwilling to resolve their own problems but instead prefer to complain and make statements of exaggeration, and then say someone else should fix it for them. Maybe some were spoiled by Apple in the past and have lofted expectations.

The mindset has drifted into mostly a complaints and gripes in the forum.
    However, if you read closely you can see a hint of the past with some helping out and pointing others in the right direction.
    I think from time to time we all fall into this rut, to complain.

And I will trivialize many of the problems I see here. And the majority of them could be resolved by a simple phone call or a trip to Apple store (if available). Besides, complaining rarely gets you anywhere. Actions do. :)

These statements are general in nature.

Im still an avid MR user with a sarcastic nature. :D

10. urkel macrumors 68030

Same here. Maps are good enough and no manufacturing flaws so I love my 5. But it's insane to think tht "it works for me so therefore everyone else needs to shut up".

11. skippymac macrumors 6502a

skippymac

:eek: you get a new phone more than once a year?? and not even cheap ones! :p

12. SexyBeast macrumors regular

The next iPhone could be made of 24k gold and surrounded by diamonds and people would be complaining about the cut and clarity of the diamonds.

13. Mrbobb, Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012

Mrbobb macrumors 601

14. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Especially when those that do have issues with their 5's are clearly posting photos of "issues", which therefore, doesn't make their complaints trivial.

15. breezie macrumors member

People would be complaining about the 24k gold - you could easily dent that with a fingernail.

16. zone23 macrumors 68000

Its because that's what the internet has become a place for people to complain.

17. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

It's all about numbers.

I won't attempt to even think about any sample numbers cause people on this forum can be b-holes, but consider the sheer number of iphone 5 sales in the first weekend (what was it 5 MILLION?) compared to the number of registered users on MacRumors... 748,726 (some of those aren't here for the iphone and some of those are likely trolls.) Also consider the fact that people typically come online to COMPLAIN... not to talk about how peachy things are... Looking at the problems through the window of MacRumors or even the internet is not a very accurate way to judge exactly how widespread the issues are.

I agree that these issues DO EXIST. I have NO QUESTION about it. But... the number of these issues relative to the number of phones sold... much smaller than you would think by spending 30 minutes reading the forums.