I'm not sure whether to get a 4S, or wait for the 5...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MasterHowl, Jan 18, 2012.

1. MasterHowl macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

Hello everyone,

I've never owned an iPhone, and I've finally got enough money to buy one. However, I'm not sure whether to wait for the iPhone 5...

I know the 4S only recently came out, and the iPhone 5 probably won't be announced, let alone released, until mid/late this year.

Do you think I should wait, or just get on with it and buy a 4S?

I know waiting for new technology is a fools game and I've never played it, but this is a phone that I'm going to be looking after really well, and will be keeping it for at least 5 years (I like to buy good quality pieces of kit, and take the time and care to ensure they last me years and years, like my MBP).

I'd be happy to hear your views on it :)

2. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

5 Years? You are really going to keep it that long? Wait for 5 then.

3. MasterHowl thread starter macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

I make stuff last a long time... I'm taking the same attitude as I have done with my MacBook. I bought it in mid-2009, and I'm definitely going to make it last until 2014 at least (until I've finished university), unless something catastrophic happens and it breaks beyond repair...

4. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Then wait for the 5.

5. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

If you're planning on using it for 5 years, I don't think you'll have to worry about the latest technology since whatever you buy will be outdated by that time anyway. Just buy the 4S.

6. HeezyBear macrumors regular

Computers are a little different than cell phones because they're not subsidized. In two years you could sell your iPhone for nearly the price you paid and get a new one for virtually nothing. Also, smartphones are advancing technologically at a much faster rate than laptops/computers. So a 4-5 year old laptop is a lot different than a 4-5 year old smartphone in respect to its modern day equivalent.

I get what you're saying, that you like to put your money towards quality goods and take care of them. However, five years for a smartphone just seems unreasonable and downright doesn't make sense when upgrading to a new one every two years costs so little.

7. MasterHowl thread starter macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

I never actually thought about this... so you think I should get a 4S now, and sell it for almost the same price for when the 5 comes out?

I'm very very new to the whole smart phone thing :) I've owned bricks all my life that I get free on my contract!

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

OP, are you aware that you can usually sell a 2 year old iPhone for close to the cost of a new subsidized phone?

EDIT: HeezyBear beat me to it, but here's an example:

Example:

2012: Buy iPhone 4S from your carrier for $199

2014: Contract ends, sell your 4S on Craig's list for $150 or so (remember, it's a $600 phone in reality) and buy an iPhone-2014 for $199 again.

It's not outright free, but it's only about $60 or $70 out of your pocket every OTHER year.

Keeping an iPhone for 5 years is kind of insane when you have that option available to you.

9. macbookman83 macrumors 6502

Get the 4s...... All apple products have hgh resale value so you'd be able to sell the 4s no problem when the 5 comes out.

10. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Yes you should buy now and once the new phone comes out just sell it and get back what you paid or more for it. I got my 4 for $200 on contract then sold it for $300 when the 4S came out.

11. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

When it comes to iPhones, I have always profited by selling it and upgrading every 18 months! :)

12. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

I think your contract date effects the decision alot. waiting 7 months for a iphone 5 is better then waiting almost 2 years for a new contract upgrade to come around. unless you plan on paying the full 600 dolllar price for the phone.

it really comes down to weather you want to waste your contract upgrade or wait and use it in a few months.

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It's interesting that you use the word waste in this context. It's describing the advantage of having an iPhone for 31 out of 31 months vs. having an iPhone for 24/31 months.

I consider that a pretty big thing to be getting. Hardly a "waste."

14. MasterHowl thread starter macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

To the people giving my original post -1's, and flaming me for asking questions... I've said several times already that I'm brand new to the smart phone game, and this will be my first iPhone.

Thanks to the people who replied nicely :) I didn't realise you can sell them for such a high price after a new one's been launched! I'll definitely keep this in mind.

15. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

I would get it now. While the next release will sure be great, the fact that your existing phone is probably limping along suggests sooner rather than later. If you had the 4 I could see a case to hold out for the new one. But the technology is changing so rapidly that I don't think it's a smart move in this case to hold out. You have an iPhone 0. A 4S now is better than whatever you've got now.

In a few years when your contract is up, you can upgrade to the new latests and greatest.

16. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

I would suggest going for an iPhone 4S now since you do not have an iPhone. If you already have an iPhone 4 or even the 3GS, then I'll suggest waiting for the next iPhone generation because those 2 iPhones still run iOS 5 well.

I wouldn't worry about technology being outdated simply because there's no way one is able to constantly keep up with it, unless he/she has too much money to spare & nowhere else to spend them.

Just go get an iPhone 4S. Good luck & enjoy. :)

17. MasterHowl thread starter macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

Many thanks :) I think I'm going to just go for it. I'm going to wait for exam period to finish (I'm at University) then call Orange and look at my options (I've still got 18 months left on my existing contract...).

Thanks to those people who were polite and had the intention of advising me and giving me their opinions... not those who just came here to flame me and -1 me.

18. dragonmantek macrumors regular

dragonmantek

it's barely even been 5 years since the 1st iphone came out.

19. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

To the OP - Going to get mine today. Called Sprint Customer Service and as politely as possible asked them to reset my eligibility (which lets me upgrade about 2 weeks earlier) and for a credit to offset the activation fees. They obliged.

Since I'm on a Blackberry Curve now (which was outdated when I bought it in 2010, but it was buy-one-for-$25-get-one-free, so we got cheapie smartphones), I cannot stress how glorious it will be in comparison.

20. Identity Fraud macrumors 6502

Not everyone wants to deal with selling items on CL. I'm on the fence about getting the 4S for the following reasons.

I'd like to switch to Verizon for LTE, the 4S is a 3G device. Reselling a year old phone that only uses 3G while a new 5 is out on LTE might hurt that resell value.

If I dont sell the phone I'm 'stuck' with a 3G phone until my contract is up.

I'm waiting to see if carriers will let me get a 4GB data plan and share it between a tablet and phone. If I'm under contract I may not be able to do it [if such a feature option ever is created]

21. cynics macrumors G4

When you get your iPhone use tapatalk app for this forum, you can't see the negative ratings which IMO is childish for a forum to even allow.

If I were you I'd probably wait as one of my biggest gripes with this phone is its small screen size. The 5 is rumored to have a larger screen. On the same token the phone size will most certainly increase if that's true (unless apple starts using a different aspect ratio).

If you do wait and see no benefit of the 5 well the 4s will still be available and it's price will drop.

Good luck!

22. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

What carrier are you on? If you're on AT&T, you've got HSPA+ at your disposal. If you're on Sprint, they are just starting the rollout of 4G LTE now, and won't be done until the end of 2013, assuming they stay on schedule and don't fall behind. Coincidentally, Sprint lets you upgrade after 22 calendar months, so if you upgraded today, you could be eligible for an upgrade in November 1st, 2013. Which would be nice, because then you'd get a 5S, which arguably has all the bugs and kinks worked out of an overhaul model 5.

Personally, I wouldn't use Craigslist, but I would consider using eBay. At least eBay/Paypal have some seller protections there, and if you used Signature Confirmation, you can't deny that the delivery was fulfilled.

23. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Realistically the 5 is supposed to have a new design, a larger screen, and be faster with more RAM. Now I personally find the 4S to be fast enough for a smartphone so ask yourself if you really want the other two things. If they aren't that important to you the get the 4S now, otherwise wait.

24. Toby Ziegler macrumors regular

Toby Ziegler

I've never owned an iPhone until the 4S myself, so I can relate. For me, the 4S felt like the iPhone I had been waiting for. If you want a redesigned case, wait for the 5, but honestly, I'm wondering what else Apple could do to improve on the iPhone in general. Sure, a RAM and CPU bump are a given, but as it stands right now, the 4S is a solid smartphone. I don't think you'll be disappointed for a good long while if you buy one.

25. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

Yes, actually, the buy can deny it. I've read countless stories (many of which are from macrumors) where the buy either said that they got shipped an empty box, or that they weren't the ones that signed for the package. So they get to keep their money, as well as the phone.

It seems that 99% of the time, Paypal/Ebay side with the buyer. You can search these (and other) forums about this.

Craigslist is fine as long as you meet in a public place: in front of a police station, a bank, etc. Or if you know a place where cops always go to have their lunch, you should go there.