I'm not upgrade eligible, cheaper to add a line?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dmk1974, Sep 13, 2012.

1. dmk1974, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012

dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

I want a 64gb iPhone 5, but I am not going to pay $849 for it (like it says for my upgrade status). I currently have a 64gb 4S with the grandfathered unlimited data plan.

I was thinking, if I added a line to my AT&T family plan (which would cost me $9.99 plus taxes per month), got the iPhone 5 for $399, and then moved the iPhone 5 to my line, could I just get a cheap $20 go phone to plop onto the line I just added? No need for data on that and it would just be an extra phone that maybe my kids could use once in a while if they are out.

With tax, that line would cost me about $13 a month so of course over 2 years it's about $312, but compared to paying the premium to order early on my line, at least it gives a useable phone if needed and staggers upgradeable lines each year.

I've never bought a go phone...any issue moving one of those devices to a family talk plan? Thanks!

2. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

3. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

Are you verizon? If you are verizon any new phone purchased using the sub will have to switch to the new share everything plans. Even if it is an add a line deal.

Not sure about ATT, but that is what Verizon is

4. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68000

dmk1974

Sorry, I updated my first post. I am on AT&T.

5. acarney macrumors 6502

I've bought a go phone a couple times for my mom to get her the most simple dumb phone since she just uses it for voice & I didn't wanna extend the contract. Had to go with amazon because my local AT&T store refused to sell me one for a post paid contract. Anyway, NOT sure if you can cancel the data plan if you get a subsidized phone. In that case it would be $9.99 plus $25 for 300mb, right? $35 x 24 is $840 over two years to save $449.

6. vistadude macrumors 65816

You're talking about $750 for a new iphone (including activation). At that point, you may as well get an unlocked phone so you're not locked down to yet another 2 year contract.

Do you really need 64 gb? Why not keep most of the music of videos on your 4s and get a 16 gb iphone 5?

7. AFDoc macrumors 68030

No you don't have to have the data plan if you have a dumb phone on that line. You just have to pay for service which is 10 a month on att.

8. acarney macrumors 6502

You HAVE to add a data plan when getting an iPhone, verify that you can cancel that plan if you "drop" your iPhone or something & just replace it with a dumb phone...

9. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Yes but you don't have to keep it and pay for it like you suggested.

10. CheesyTators macrumors member

This is incorrect...If you are on a grandfathered unlimited data family plan, you can add a line and get sub price and select one of the old data plans for that line only. I have confirmed this with a rep and ran my account through the process of adding a line and it allowed me to keep my existing plan and just add one of the old data plans like 2GB for $30 for the new line.

11. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68000

dmk1974

Well, I went ahead and ordered a new 64gb iPhone 5 by adding a line to my family plan. Ordered through the AT&T Premier site. Says the status is pending and should arrive 9/21.

After it's delivered, are these the right steps?

1.) Go to local AT&T store. Do not activate the phone, just take it there in the box.
    2.) Tell them I want to put my current 4S on that new line and put the new 5 on my primary line.
    3.) Ask for a specific phone number for the new line (if available). I'm assuming the phone will come with a number pre-assigned, but since I have not activated at this point, hopefully they can help me with this.
    4.) After they swap and activate and so on, I'll leave the store and go to Walmart and get a $20 go phone.
    5.) Go home, sync and transfer everything in iTunes and make sure my 5 is set up and activated correctly and has the right phone number.
    6.) Maybe the next day, call AT&T and tell them I want to change my handset on the new line from the 4S to the "dumb" go phone. If phone call doesn't work, I'll go back to the store.
    7.) Sell my 4S.

In my mind, that should all work correct? In the end, I'll have the 5 on my primary line and will pay an extra ~$13 (w/tax) per month for that line.