I'm now in posession of a £579 paperweight (iPad 2 frozen during 4.3.1 update)

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by AnDi86, Mar 27, 2011.

1. AnDi86 macrumors 6502

So I tried to install the iPad 4.3.1 software update today, it froze about 60% of the way through I left it for a good hour to see if it would fix itself! Nope it didn't so i had to force quit iTunes and unplug the iPad 2.

Now when I plug the iPad 2 into the mac iTunes say the ipad is in recovery mode and it needs restored... I do this and again it freezes at around 60% on the ipad and the "restoring iPad software" in iTunes is up frozen when it's nearly complete!

I'm running the latest iTunes software...

Any ideas?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Well, since you've done all the retsoring etcetera, the obvious/only one left, of course, is taking it back tomorrow where you bought it from.
    Get it replaced.

4. AnDi86 thread starter macrumors 6502

Don't say that... I just got it on Friday! Though it's looking like it might be the only option now! tried restoring it several times!!

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

6. AnDi86 thread starter macrumors 6502

I think (and HOPE) i might have it resolved... I'll get back to you if this works!

7. SASouth macrumors member

I don't know if this will help, but you could try a cold reset of the iPad and then try to restore it in iTunes.

To reset the iPad press and hold both the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

It might not work but it's worth a shot.

8. AnDi86 thread starter macrumors 6502

OK maybe not.. it's not even starting to attempt to restore it now... I had wifi sync installed on the mac for my iPhone ( yes I know bad Andi) so uninstalled it and restarted comp... i now get error 1611... to google!!

9. AnDi86 thread starter macrumors 6502

10. SASouth macrumors member

11. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I think people have paid much more for paperweights, so don't feel too bad about it.

12. Voltair macrumors newbie

It seems to suggest you need a 'powered' USB port. Haven't you got one on your Motherboard? You need to look around your Computer\Mac for a port with the following lable over it: http://img819.imageshack.us/f/poweredusb.jpg/

HTH

13. -Macuser- macrumors newbie

Error 23, 28, 29, 40, 1002, 1011, 1012, 1014, 1611: These errors may indicate a hardware issue with your device. Follow the steps in this article and also attempt to restore while connected with a known-good 30-pin Dock Connector cable, computer, and network to isolate this issue to the device. If the MAC address is missing or the IMEI is the default value (00 499901 064000 0), this can also confirm a hardware issue.

Link.

14. AnDi86 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the help guys! Yeah I was using powered USB ports and all, don't know what happened but I restarted the mac again and then tried to restore once more before moving on to the windows machine to try it and it luckily restored okay, whether it was the restart or the fear of being plugged into a windows machine that fixed it!

Thanks guys!

15. spinstorm macrumors 65816

You will NEVER GET A BRICK from a failed Apple restore/update.

You may however get many many hours of trying to restore until eventually randomly one time for no apparent reason it magically completes!

If that sounds sarcastic and hateful it is because it is...

Generally I find that using a PC if you were restoring on a mac will fix it or vice versa.

Also sometimes the error doesn't mean it hasn't finished the update/restore - it simply failed the last few "checks" before booting so went back into restore mode instead of booting up.

I recommend tinyumbrella - a mac app that has the option to exit recovery mode and reboot normally. As long as you have a completed restore of the os (which you can't be sure of until you try the exit button) it will then boot right into the OS normally.