I'm on 4.0.1 and I want to update my firmware while keeping my unlock.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by acidraindrop, Jan 15, 2011.

1. acidraindrop macrumors member

I'm going to jailbreak my phone with the jailbreakme website. Should I unlock it first and then upgrade my firmware? How should I go about doing this while keeping my unlock ability. I dont need to have it unlocked at the moment but I want to keep the ability to do it.

Also should I save blobs and all that in case I want to restore the phone?

Sorry if these are noob questions, I appreciate the help.

2. noiceT macrumors 6502a

What iphone do you have? Everything depends on this.

3. acidraindrop thread starter macrumors member

iphone 4. I already jailbroke it and downloaded tinyumbrella. I saved the SHSHs up to 4.2b3. I was looking around and is 4.1 the highest firmware that i can go to for now without messing up my baseband?

4. Steven Jobson macrumors regular

TinyUmbrella preserves your baseband. Having done this myself, I have a 4.2.1 still on 1.59.00.

Plug it in, make sure you have the SHSHs saved for the firmware you want to upgrade to. Use the TSS server and restore to that firmware in iTunes.

5. Strife67 macrumors newbie

Follow these directions http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=11693788&postcount=70 and make sure you hit the update button instead of restore or you will be forced to start over from a fresh 4.0.1 firmware (provided that you saved your SHSH blobs for that version). Also double check your hosts file per these instructions: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=11722184&postcount=75

6. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

My iphone 4 is on 4.2.1 with 01.59.00 jailbroken, unlocked and untethered.

7. Ferri1c macrumors member

Why are you even on this thread? Same smart a** comment with no help. I have searched and searched the forum. I have yet to find someone in the same situation. I need a basic explanation. Some of the previous threads are too complicated.

I HAVE SEARCHED THE FORUM!!

I still am confused. I'm not allowed to ask a question? What a joke! The two of you are insulting and non helpful at all. Why does anyone ask questions anymore. I'm sure anyone can answer "Just use the search bar" for any question.

I' m getting embarrassed to even ask anything on here. Maybe I'll Search for a more friendlier forum.

Once again I searched the threads and they didn't pertain to my situation. And if the thread is there its my mistake but I honestly haven't found it.

So instead of attacking me when all I did was ask a question and even said thank you in advance, help or don't even comment.

Not sure who gets the cake for biggest tool of the day? Hackthatphone or the first guy.

8. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Way to revive almost a year-old thread to bash someone that was not even really off topic nor offending you in this thread.