I'm on the fence about getting a rMBP vs cMBP.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jshbckr, Jun 20, 2012.

1. jshbckr macrumors 6502

I love that the retina is thinner, lighter, has a fast SSD, and of course has the new retina display... and I'm honestly not that concerned about the whole "not upgradable/fixable" nature of it. If it has problems in the first 3 years, Apple will cover it with AppleCare.

What I'm considering more is that I already have a 128GB SATA3 SSD that I could put into the non-retina MBP. On top of that, I do video work professionally, and I would be able to replace the optical drive with a 750GB 7200 RPM drive for footage. This is a big plus for me. And the RAM would be slightly cheaper to buy myself and install. I'm also a bit concerned about the retina display being more taxing in my editing and animation programs when generating previews (such as After Effects). Maybe that's not really an issue, though, I'm just speculating.

Does anyone have thoughts or experience that they could weigh in on? I know there are some users here with 2012 non-retina MBP's that they are using for editing. Anyone using a rMBP?

2. dHk macrumors member

I am currently rolling a non retima 2012 macbook. I do photoshop and video edditing and all I do is connect to a extrnal screen.(Not thunderbolt display). If you are a pro, you most likely wont be on a 15" screen. The retina is not worth it. Im sure apple will release a external retina display in the future.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

4. dHk macrumors member

Classic. Non retina macbook.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

LOL jesus. OK.
    Well OP, go for the retina I say.

6. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

go for a retina a year from now so you can actually use it for more things.

7. jshbckr thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm getting a 27-inch Thunderbolt display, which I will work from in my home office. As far as a retina cinema display... I wouldn't be surprised if they wait a while to update the 27-inch to retina. That's a lot of pixels.

But I suppose the whole "mainly working on external display" alleviates my worries about applications like After Effects scaling up. Hmm. Lots of thinking to do.