I'm on vacation, and I need to access something on my computer at home

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tm489324, Aug 19, 2008.

1. tm489324 macrumors newbie

So I'm currently on vacation, but I need to access a file on my computer at home. Both computers are MacBooks, both running the latest system software. I of course have the password to both my computers, as well as to the Airport base station back at home. I also have the IP address for both of my computers. Can I achieve what I need with this information, or is there something I am missing?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

What kind of functionality does Back to my Mac provide? I believe that is the purpose of this thing through Mobile Me. Not sure about waking the computer remotely though.

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

There are many ways you could o this but you would have had to set it up before you left. For example by default routers can't be configured from the Internet side, only from your local LAN side. Did you change the preference to allow remote configuration? If not you are out of luck. The router is just part of it. The next step is the computer. Is it running at least one kind of remote access services? By default these don't run. You would have had to enable one of them.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You need to configure this before leaving and Back-To-Mac works, but it needs to be configured first.

5. snberk103 macrumors 603

This is easy to accomplish....
    Call a friend, have them go to your house and let themselves in with a key that you have, with fore-thought, left them. With both of you on the phone you can now talk them through emailing you the file. [sarcasm off]...

I have sympathy for you, actually. I know what its like, and on several occasions I have had to find and send files for my wife.

But unless you have set something up before hand, the friend and and key trick is your best bet.

Good Luck

6. snberk103 macrumors 603

And tested before one goes on a trip. I set up Back to my Mac, but it took several trips to the local internet cafe to fine-tune the settings so that it actually worked from outside the house.