I'm out of this waiting camp for iphone 4 unlock :)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by AlvinNguyen, Jul 30, 2010.

1. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

Yep, sure paid up the butt for it but I just got an unlocked iPhone 4 in Canada with 32gb for $877 after tax ($759 before tax). Sure its a little more than a no contract iphone 4 in the US but its unlocked and apple will actually service the damn thing if something happens to it! I am just impatient I guess :D

Taken with my other i4

[​IMG]

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

Ok factory unlocked phones are always better then you don't have to worry about accidental upgrades or the Dev-team so enjoy!!! not sure why ya needed a separate thread or to share it with the world, but enjoy!

3. Greg M macrumors 6502

Do you mean service it in Canada or also in the US?

Thank you for reporting back on the price. Did you get it at an Apple store?

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The warranty is now international.

5. Buckmaster macrumors newbie

AlvinNguyen, congrats on your new phone, and if you want to start a thread to tell the world, more power to you.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Factory unlocked iphnes are well worth a little extra money if u plan on using them to many different carriers.
    Not so in the US cause you'd be stuck with slow
    Tmobile edge for data.

7. illutionz macrumors 65816

Or if you travel....

8. Greg M macrumors 6502

Not all of us are interested in a data plan. I had to switch to T-mobile because I didn't want to pay for a data plan that I don't need. My iphone does everything I need and more without having a data plan. Would it be nice to have sometimes? Certainly, but I can't afford it. I'd much rather put that money towards better internet at home.

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Which would involve using it with multiple carriers ;)

10. jsquared macrumors 6502

jsquared

lol where's the "hack" in buying a factory unlocked iphone?

we've all started pointless threads before

11. vinzer macrumors newbie

That is great that you got an unlocked iPhone4, congrats. I actually got today Rogers one also... BUT ..... you still need JB at some point :) Well, so do not quit our "camp" :) Eventually DEV Team will release JB and we will get much more options and usage for our iPhones 4

Good luck !

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's also true on the data plan.
    But you can afford a $700 phone?

13. Greg M macrumors 6502

Does it matter to you what I choose that I can afford or not? Is this something that you must approve or even understand ???

I choose to give up paying for a data plan (that I don't need) so that I can afford to use an iphone. Actually T-mobile also has cheaper phone plans (home and wireless) so I save there too. I saved about $70 a month by switching all of my phone services from AT&T to T-mobiile.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    You're the one that said I cant afford a data plan not me.
    I cant afford a cheeseburger but Im driving a mercedes does that make sense? :D

15. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

that's one of the dumbest things i have heard. i rather be able to browse on the go vs download a file 10 seconds faster.

16. Greg M macrumors 6502

You know nothing about what you're talking about. Here's some numbers for the ignorant.

Slowest DSL 750k download for $19.95.
    Slowest cable 8mb download for $29.95 (actually get 12-13).
    Data plan that's not needed and rarely used $30 (when I dropped it).

For the slow folks here, there is a huge difference between 750k and 12-13mb. But go ahead and continue to talk about something you know nothing about and continue to come across as ________ .

Maybe this is a little difficult for you to follow. Not everyone uses the iphone the same way and not everyone can afford all the best things. Some of us have to make choices. I need the PDA type features (large number of contacts with more info then number and address) of the iphone and hated the blackberry. The iphone is perfect.

17. AlvinNguyen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh dont get me wrong I'd love to get the phone jailbroken. But as far as I am concerned the price difference is minimal enough to make it worth while. Plus it's so nice not to be waiting to actually use the phone on tmobile!

18. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

sheiiit...you must have piss-poor home internet if its only 10 secs faster than your 3g speeds.

i'm with your quotee here, and i'm sure you would too if you had better local land-tied services.
    Plus, cannot seem to walk five minutes without somewhere offering free wi-fi.

19. Anijake macrumors 6502

Anijake

Were you able to use a US credit card or paid cash? I assume you were able to put in the settings for the correct APN for net access but what about MMS? Does that work?

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, it will allow you to enter all that information as far as data and mms apn settings.
    And you can use a US or any countrys credit card at any store worldwide.
    As long as you dont get it shipped.

21. AlvinNguyen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yep US card and used the apple store's zip code to buy it. The guy was super cool and totally hooked it up without asking any questions. In/out less than 10 mins after buying both phones. Hella expensive but worth it! Pics soon!

22. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Only if you don't care about jailbreaking.

23. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

24. illutionz macrumors 65816

You know, in the beginning, Jailbreaking is really important because iPhone has a lot of missing features. Nowadays, with Apple adding more and more features, I find myself using Jailbreak apps less and less.

Mainly, I use Jailbreaking to install ultrasn0w before I travel, installed install*ahem*ous, and Music Control because Apple did not include AVCRP Bluetooth profile. WIth 4.1, Apple will include AVRCP and that just eliminate another reason why I want to Jailbreak my phone.

Most of the goodies from Cydia are now available officially such as multitasking, task switcher, and hell, if you go the same route as OP, you won't even need ultrasn0w anymore!