I'm playing Super Mario Sunshine and Zelda on my MBP! :-)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pentad, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

Hello all,

I wanted to post something different that you folks might enjoy. I have been wanting to try out the Dolphin GameCube/Wii emulator so I compiled it for both the Mac and Windows 64bit. My kids and I enjoy Super Mario Sunshine and Zelda the WW and I thought this would be something cool to do over the holiday weekend.

I purchased a GameCube Controller to USB adapter cable that works under both Mac and Windows here:

http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/gc_n64_usb_adapters/index.php?category=

I highly recommend them. It works great! You can use your GC Controller for many other games too (I used it for MAME OS X and Power 64).

Dolphin runs ok under OS X but Apple's Nvidia drivers just aren't as good as the Nvidia drivers under Windows. I ended up booting into Boot Camp and Dolphin will run both Zelda and Super Mario Sunshine perfectly @ 30 fps.

I'm pretty good with source code so I'm going to try to tweak the OS X builds I've done. The emulator is quite good and I've had enough success with playing around that an OS X tweak build might elicit some better performance.

While we own both a GC and Wii, one of the reasons I wanted to play with Dolphin is the ability to add AA and AF to some of our favorite games. Also, being able to put the games in higher resolution is nice. Now, if somebody would do some hi-res textures that would be great. :)

Anyway, if you are looking for something different I highly recommend both Dolphin and the adapter.

Cheers!
    P

2. lacoste-rocker macrumors regular

lacoste-rocker

3. Pentad thread starter macrumors 6502a

Pentad

No Problem! :)

If anybody needs help just let me know!

4. Deanoaka macrumors member

Mate that is awesome, I can feel a retro gaming week coming soon. Does the emulator allow for 2 players?

If you can do what you hope for the OS X version, you could be the best thing since God!