I'm ready to jailbreak ang get mywi for my iPad...

RunOverProducti

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
I've been searching and there's multiple ways to get this done.

1) I have no clue how to do it.
2) I need advice how to do it from start to finish.

I'm running 3.1.3, so I know I have to back up and restore iPhone.

Now what?

I have till the 22nd to try mywi, if I don't like it I'll exchange the iPad for a 3G model.

I don't see myself using the iPad 24hrs a day outside, but I may take it with me sometimes and would use mywi.

Thanks

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
If your iPhone is 3GS 3.1.3 and you have never jailbroken it, you absolutely cannot do it right now. You're going to find stuff on google that seems to say otherwise. It's wrong.

If it's 3G (not 3gs) you may be all right.

Either way you should ask this politely in the iPhone hacks sub forum and someone there will probably tell you where to look.

https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/105/

RunOverProducti

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
If your iPhone is 3GS 3.1.3 and you have never jailbroken it, you absolutely cannot do it right now. You're going to find stuff on google that seems to say otherwise. It's wrong.

If it's 3G (not 3gs) you may be all right.

Either way you should ask this politely in the iPhone hacks sub forum and someone there will probably tell you where to look.

https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/105/
Thanks, is 3GS, I can't restore the iPhone to it's factory setting and set back to 3.1.2?

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
Thanks, is 3GS, I can't restore the iPhone to it's factory setting and set back to 3.1.2?
No, but I'll underdstand if you don't take my word for it, it's very hard to believe with some of the misinformation out there. Briefly, there is no way to get your phone back to 3.1.2 now.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
There are ways to jailbreak 3.1.3. Just google it, and ther are directions on how to do it using blackra1n. It's not difficult at all.
Not 3GS, unless you already backed up your shsh files, which the OP obviously did not.

I'm going to save myself further typing, though, since this debate gets played out daily in the iPhone hacks forum.

Zethca

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2007
Please take this advice from me. I've spent the past 2 weeks attempting to do this with my 3.1.3. It's not possible. ******Unless you've jailbroken before and can roll back to old firmware within Cydia.

Updated to 3.1.3? It is NOT possible to use your phone for a 3g connection to your iPad.

It's the people who haven't looked into this issue and constantly drop in and say it's possible that have a lot of us wasting our time.

xraydoc

macrumors demi-god
Oct 9, 2005
Please take this advice from me. I've spent the past 2 weeks attempting to do this with my 3.1.3. It's not possible. ******Unless you've jailbroken before and can roll back to old firmware within Cydia.

Updated to 3.1.3? It is NOT possible to use your phone for a 3g connection to your iPad.

It's the people who haven't looked into this issue and constantly drop in and say it's possible that have a lot of us wasting our time.
I've tried as well. No go.

Fortunately, no such trouble with my Droid. :D

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
+1 on a 3gs thats never been jailbroken running 3.1.3. your stuck. you cant roll back the firmware or jailbreak 3.1.3. right now. dont believe anyone else cause there is so much misinformation from people who only half read the facts then try to help people.

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
Mywi costs $10 through the rock store I believe, but somehow cydia has it free of charge.
Wrong. It's $10 no matter which one you pick, the with or without Rock versions. I doubt you will find anyone who would prefer the Rock version, so just do the "Without Rock"

There are ways to jailbreak 3.1.3. Just google it, and ther are directions on how to do it using blackra1n. It's not difficult at all.
Just stop talking, you have no idea what you are talking about and are spreading false information.

FWW

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2010
Anchorage, AK
I can't speak to 3GS

I CAN confirm that a 3G running 3.1.3 breaks just fine using redsn0w 0.9.4

You will need the iPhone1,2_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw file

I would recommend waiting though. I wouldn't trade away a 3GS for a 3G. The battery life while tethering is terrible. An hour or so tops.

AppleSimon

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2010
If you read the comments you'll see it actually doesn't work. Posts like these are what cause so much confusion.
I quickly skimmed through some of the comments, and some claim to have gotten it to work. But I don't know how true this is?

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
If you check out the iPhone hacks forum you will see exactly how often people who know way more about this than I do have to explain exactly why you can't do it on a virgin 3GS 3.1.3. If I sound tetchy about it, it's only because I'm stuck on an out of the box 3.1.3 awaiting the next JB, and at least once a day someone makes the claim it can be done...only to be proven wrong, misinformed, or lying. All the false hope gets irritating, but I've learned a lot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.