I'm really not that impressed with the 5S battery life

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by seble, Sep 27, 2013.

1. seble macrumors 6502a

Hi all, I've had my 5S for almost a week, and to be honest I'm not that impressed by the battery. I was seeing similar results on my 2 year old 4. Whilst yes I am using the phone more frequenetly, everyone else that has just got it must be using it quite a bit too, they still seem to rave about the b.life.

I didn't restore from backup, setup as completely new phone as I always do with a new iPhone, yet the figures really aren't that good. Is there something I'm maybe doing wrong here?

2. user-name-here macrumors 65816

I sure am! :D

Yesterday I got 8 hours of screen on usage with 22 hours standby :eek:

Tips:
    - turn off wifi/bluetooth when not using them
    - turn off LTE if you don't live in an LTE area
    - turn off parallax effect under "reduce motion"
    - turn off background app refresh
    - turn on auto brightness
    - don't allow so many apps to use location services
    - quit playing with it non-stop! ;)

3. OMAC83 macrumors member

One thing that has really helped me is letting the phone die out and then doing a complete charge, also some people feel after several charges the bat life improves? After letting the phone die and charging full for this morning I'm sitting at 65% after a full day if moderate use

4. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Well of course you can get great battery life by turning off all those features but you shouldn't have to do that. Especially something like background app refresh, that makes my life so much easier.

The battery's still not great. There will be a breakthrough in battery technology one day soon I hope.

5. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Well, what are you expecting and what is it actually doing?

I'm only expecting the phone to last one whole day per charge and mine is doing that so I'm content for now. If you're expecting it to last 2 days but are only getting a day, then I can see why you'd be disappointed.

6. seble thread starter macrumors 6502a

As you can tell I've done most of what you said there, apart from things like Parallax and LTE, but yet after doing most of those things still a mediocre battery?

----------

Never expect 2 days out of an iPhone. I'm having to charge mine twice a day at the moment, this is my second charge almost 40% 3:45 usage, 6 in standby. With my 4 i had to do that towards the end of its life, but when I first had it I could finish a day with roughly 30%

7. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Well it's like you alluded to: until there is a breakthrough in battery technology that gives us multiple day battery life then it is what it is. We have to manage our devices by turning off features we don't need at the time since they don't have unlimited battery life.

It's like if a family only can afford an electric bill of $100 yet they run the AC night and day to the point that the power gets shut off. They can say "well we shouldn't have to do that" all they want but it's not going to change the fact that they should turn off the AC when they don't need it ;)

8. seble thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tbh, you can get great battery out of mobile devices, If my iPhone had half the battery that my iPad had, I would be in love for ever. Love how I can take that thing with me to college every day for like 3 days, type up notes, browse the net, and after those few days only be down to about 30%. If my iPhone had just a quarter of that I would be super happy.

9. wrathofmac macrumors newbie

Of course, you wouldn't be. There's no update to it. :p

10. user-name-here macrumors 65816

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/
    http://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/specs/
    The iPhone 5s gets way more than "half the battery life of your iPad" so I guess you're in love forever then ;)

11. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

a) iPhones don't show screen on time
    b) the solution to getting good battery life should never be turning off those features, as those are the features that people buy a smartphone to have

Orrrrr apple could just make a bigger phone and put in a bigger battery. Which is what they'll do with the iPhone 6.

12. thedeske macrumors 6502a

This is good practice with Lithium-Ion when new.
    Discharge all the way 2 times when it's new and every 4 to six months.

Mine improved after the first discharge. It was around 90% out of the box, but I didn't have time to do the discharge right away. Too many updates plugged in ;)

13. EricByer macrumors member

I am. I'm getting great battery life with a strong LTE signal.

14. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

:confused::confused:

Well I am not that impressed with your lack of impression. Now what?

15. cnotes2019 Suspended

I'm not impressed with the impression I'm getting about others impressions of Apples impression of how long a battery should impress others and such !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

16. user-name-here, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013

user-name-here macrumors 65816

Sure they do.

Settings -> General -> Usage -> scroll down to see the usage time and as long as the user wasn't playing music or making phone calls with the screen off (like it was for me) then that's the screen on time.

That's like saying you bought a Toyota Prius for the 51mpg and that you shouldn't have to go below 100mph to get 51 miles per gallon :rolleyes:

If you have a limited resource then you either manage it or blow it. Complaining that "we shouldn't have to turn off air conditioning / drive at a good mpg speed / turn off wifi / turn off lights in the house / etc..." won't do a damn thing about it except make the complainer look foolish.

Yes, putting in bigger battery would be nice. But do they? Not yet, so manage your battery until they do by turning off battery wasting features.

17. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

No, they don't. That includes anything that occurred when the screen was off, including music, receiving calls, receiving text messages, receiving emails, receiving push notifications, and apps with background refresh, push refreshes of calendars and contacts, etc.

There's no way you got 10hrs of screen on time only, period.

I'm not even going to respond to your car analogy because it was terrible lol

18. user-name-here macrumors 65816

No? A user of electronics don't have to turn off features to manage battery life? How ridiculous is that reasoning. I've given analogy after analogy and all you can come up with is constantly saying how battery life should be better without taking any responsibility yourself.

I'm not even going to bother responding to your other points, because I'd much rather cut off your quote to a few words and respond to a single point like how you did earlier :rolleyes:

19. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

I said iphones don't calculate screen on time (they don't). You said "sure they do". I again said they don't.

you can't even comprehend what I quoted, or remember what you wrote, sad.

20. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I can get 6.5-7 hours of use and 26 hours standby and still have 9% battery left on my 4S, and I'm sure if I had less standby time I could get 8 hours usage too. Sure I have a lot of things "off" but my work emails push through and that's all I need. Brightness at 20%.

I've always been able to squeeze tremendous battery life out of my 4S, I dont know why so many claimed they couldn't.

21. karmamule macrumors 6502

karmamule

One thing I really appreciate as a former HTC One user is how *fast* the iPhone charges. Just a few minutes on a charger gives a big boost to battery %, whereas whenever I tried to get my One to charge I felt like Sisyphus trying to roll that boulder up a hill.

Because of that I just keep everything enabled and am in the habit of one or two quick charges during the day at work or home regardless of what charge level is. For me just having that routine is easier than constantly worrying if I need to turn this or that feature on or off, and always sweating over battery life.

I don't give it a second thought, have everything enabled, and it's not an issue.

22. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

...and if your iPad spent the day searching for cell signals and checking your locations, its battery would die far quicker than it currently does.

23. user-name-here macrumors 65816

ShhsHshsh! ... too logical ;)

24. seble thread starter macrumors 6502a

I get the point people are making but some of you are just being ridiculous also.
    This morning my iPhone dropped 18% in 35 minutes, sending 5 texts. That is not the battery life I was expecting from an iPhone. I'm connected to wifi, and I have 3 bars.

25. Apple Trees macrumors 6502

You should be impressed. I can tell you from experience that the iPhone 5S blows away the battery life of most other smartphones.