I'm severly disappointed that my brand new $1200 laptop can't play HD video Part 2

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Looon, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

So after doing the things that were suggested to me in the last thread which included updating my flash and safari and trying different browsers I'm still experiencing problems with my new MBP playing HD flash content from Netflix, Youtube and pretty much everywhere else. I'm wondering if maybe the next step is to setup an appointment. I took two videos that kind of show part of the problem which is the video will either lag behind the audio or they will stutter every 10-20 seconds which is clearly visible from the videos. I'm also using the same network as my other 2 computers which have no problems so I'm assuming it isn't the internet connection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feDjVdEYSNw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSDWA_CSvpY

I even experience lag when typing text right now. Is this normal or is there something seriously wrong with my computer?

2. zeiter macrumors 6502

My mac has always done that too since the first day I got it....Would be nice if someone could provide a fix!!!!!!

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

You can do two things to really help isolate the problem...

1. Reinstall OS X

2. Install Boot Camp and run Windows to see if it happens there too (which would mean the hardware is at fault)

4. TJones macrumors regular

Doesn't sound at all normal. Boot up holding the D button and perform a hardware test to rule out anything wrong with the machine itself.

5. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

Based solely on the videos you posted, I'd like to suggest that the stuttering may be due to on-the-fly adjustments in response to varying network bandwidth.

You mentioned this happening with Netflix. Well, Netflix uses Microsoft Silverlight, not Flash. One of the features of Silverlight is the ability to automatically adjust playback quality as the quality of your computer's network signal varies. Sometimes, as the transition is made between quality levels, there is a slight stutter. If that's all you're experiencing, I'd say it's normal. I experience the same on my MacBook regularly.

I'm pretty sure this ability is also present in Flash players currently. I've noticed, for example, that when switching to full screen mode while watching C-Net videos, the flash player wants to switch to HD video, and there is a momentary pause during the switchover.

I would suggest checking whether you notice the issue less when there are no other users on your network. In my situation, streaming Netflix to my Xbox while others in the house are trying to stream youtube or other video sites to their laptops gets annoying; the stop and start playback as Netflix adjusts to the network congestion can often make things unwatchable.

Well, I don't know if your case is related to the same issue, but it might be worth checking out. Maybe this is a dumb question, but have you noticed whether the quality of your video varies before and after the stutter? If so, it is merely due to your player making adjustments in response to the network.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You did not need another thread.

Listen to this guy; iLog.Genius

7. vant macrumors 65816

+1. Don't make a thread for every reply.

8. Looon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Looon

Like the post you just made had any point. Get out of my thread and just ignore it if you aren't going to contribute to the subject at hand.

9. czeluff macrumors 6502

1. Take it to the store with an appointment.

2. Tell them the problem, and ask them to put the machine on their network and test it.

3. If it doesn't have a problem, it's you. If it does, it's the machine.

10. pflau macrumors 6502

You should not have made another thread. I am too lazy to try to find your original thread and thus will not know what your original complaint is.

With that said, I have a MacBook Pro 13 and I never have any problem at all playing HD videos. Even 1080 x 1920 videos I capture using my video camera. No problem what-so-ever.