I'm severly disappointed that my brand new $1200 laptop can't play HD video

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Looon, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

So I'm sitting here with nothing to do and I decided to watch some Tonight Show
    but I can't because the MBP can't handle playing HD from NBC's flash player. Really angry right now

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Could it be NBC?

Have a look at Activity Monitor ( Applications / Utilities / *) and select All Processes*and sort by CPU to see what the culprit may be.

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

its because the video is using flash which is more resource intensive in Mac OS X and might be causing stuttering. try a YouTube HD video like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ5U8suTUw0&fmt=37 to see if NBC's flash player is the culprit.

you should be able to play native mpeg4 1080p video in QuickTime Player, VLC player etc. fine with your processor.

4. Looon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Looon

I already did that it's nothing using the processing power. Even with the video playing in the background the processor only goes to 50% used with 2.6gb ram free

I don't care if I can that's not what I want to do.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Could it be your connection speed?

I can't test the video, as NBC most likely not allows outsiders to watch their precious programming.

6. Looon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Looon

No it works fine on my other 2 computers

7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

haha ok fine then. im telling you the capability of your MBP. you seem angry at its performance when its hardware is not at fault.

8. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Oddly, my 13" 2009 2.26GHz MBP plays it just fine. Tried all the sizes (tho, for HD the actual video quality of the full screen leaves a lot to be desired). I've yet to have a problem with streaming video on the 13".

Have you tried the HD streaming on Hulu, YouTube, etc. If so, is it the same as your problem with NBC, if so, I'd take it in to get looked at.

9. Looon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Looon

Hulu and Youtube are ok they are a little stuttery but not bad. NBC is just unwatchable and so is Netflix the audio is out of sync

10. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Theres definitely something wrong with your computer. I can run the HD streams from all the broadcasters with zero lag on my 2.4ghz C2D Unibody.

Also, I've never seen Netflix lag on an Intel machine, so something is definitely going on there.

11. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Yeah, something's definitely wrong. You shouldn't be having problems like that, like at all. So, either an OS reinstall, or a Genius appointment may be needed.

12. Looon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Looon

13. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Can you post what version OSX and Flash you have running ? More specifically the build numbers. I've had a lot of Macs and you should be able to watch NBC HD on the internet with no problem provided you have sufficient bandwidth.

14. lordjonny macrumors regular

lordjonny

definately something wrong mate, i can play hd 1080p in youtube with WoW open in the background after the new patch...for you non WoW players the new patch is terrible for mac users without the unreleased 10.6.5 update.. so take it in to get looked at.

My computer is 2.4C2D imac 20" 4gb ram and the hd2600 pro....a good few years old...

15. Looon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Looon

I'm not sure how to check the flash version?

16. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

At the top of the Browser window select "Help>Installed plug-ins"

17. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Did you install the 10.6.4 graphics update? The graphics situation in 10.6.4 without that update is hell.

18. Looon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Looon

It was 10.0.85 or something I just installed the newest one and it seems to be less laggy but now it uses more processor power?

19. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

There seems to be a problem with your computer. If you have installed the 10.6.4 graphics update that is.

Though, I find it rather odd to complain about 1080p video quality when the screen doesn't even have 1080 vertical pixels. Just play 720p as 1080p will be downscaled.

20. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Well until Adobe fixes flash that may be your only option. Adobe basically wants to heap on old code and write wrappers to make things work verses building it from the ground up using newer technologies. My sisters newest fling works at Adobe and explained this all to me. (No I'm not giving anyone on this forum his name and getting him fired either).

EDIT: Ok I saw your post on netflix. Something is wrong because netflix is nearly instant on everything.

21. No ice please macrumors 6502

Go on speedtest.net and check your bandwidth.

22. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Hmm, something is definitely wrong with the OP's computer or he has something installed that screwing up his playback. I'm playing the Tonight Show right now on NBC online and it's perfect and very smooth in full screen. I have a 15" Core i5 MBP.

23. vant macrumors 65816

Works fine on MBP13 2.4 2010 (Fullscreen HD).

Please list these things:

The browser you are using.
    If you have installed ALL the updates (Apple Logo>Software update...).
    Screenshot of your activity monitor (Shift+Command+4, spacebar).

Try these things:
    Safari>Reset Safari (select everything).
    Reboot if you never do.

24. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

HD works fine for my 13" too

everything from netflix to watching the office on nbc's site

25. JacaByte macrumors 6502

If you're using Safari I highly recommend using Chrome. My experience is everything except Safari is good with flash video, and Chrome has the distinction of coming prepackaged with Flash. You're less likely to run into trouble because of that.

For reference, I've got Flash 10.1.85.3, which has hardware acceleration support for OS X 10.6.4 if I'm not mistaken.