I'm sick of iPhoto.... any other suggestions?

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
I've had it with iPhoto, it's way too proprietary for my needs. I don't need anything professional like aperture but just a really good image vierwer/organizer that actually allows me to work with the actual file on my computer easily. What does everyone else use?

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
Which version do you have? I've been fairly pleased with v.7.1 and the update with iLife '08, but I do export to Photoshop for editing quite a bit. I like the chronological Event storage feature.

Comment

tibi08

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Brighton, UK
I've had it with iPhoto, it's way too proprietary for my needs. I don't need anything professional like aperture but just a really good image vierwer/organizer that actually allows me to work with the actual file on my computer easily. What does everyone else use?
Stick with iPhoto, it will grow on you.

Comment

murfle

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2007
kavasoft shoebox?
Looks promising! I'll have to try it out when I get home... Wish someone had shown me this when I asked about iPhoto alternatives months ago. :mad:
I'll try out the trial, and as long as it animates .gif files, we may have a winner!

tibi08 said:
I thought to myself at first, "This is exactly what I was looking for!", then found out it doesn't animate gifs, and progressively over time, became more of a nuisance than anything.

What I really hope for is being able to save from Firefox to whatever image app I use.

Comment

dukebound85

macrumors P6
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Which version do you have? I've been fairly pleased with v.7.1 and the update with iLife '08, but I do export to Photoshop for editing quite a bit. I like the chronological Event storage feature.
i like how when someone asks for a replacement people always try to talk people out of it lol

its a common theme on these boards lol

Comment

teiresias

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2007
I'm not sure expecting a photo organizer to be able to make animated gifs is very reasonable. It's an organizer that lets you make rudimentary crops and other small edits - it's not a graphics program.

Comment

Gordy

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2005
Bristol, UK
I use just looking its a very simple image view that allows you to organize your pictures how you want them. Just store them in folders however suits you. Open a single picture and you can scroll through all of the folder.
Frankly iPhoto is a joke, anyone with more than a few pictures seems to get frustrated by not being able to do sub albums. Events is just a bodge if you ask me.

Comment

skybolt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
Nashville, TN, USA
I use just looking its a very simple image view that allows you to organize your pictures how you want them. Just store them in folders however suits you. Open a single picture and you can scroll through all of the folder.

Frankly iPhoto is a joke, anyone with more than a few pictures seems to get frustrated by not being able to do sub albums. Events is just a bodge if you ask me.

That is EXACTLY what iPhoto (app) does! Organize your photos into folders and albums "however suits you"! Nothing could be easier! You decide the folders and albums! I have over 3,000 photos in iPhoto, and all are at my fingertips whenever I want them. Easy to find, easy to edit when I want to, easy to mail, export, etc. Whatever I want to do! All organized by date and subject -- and I haven't even gotten into smart albums (which I need to do -- just been lazy)! Photos are still so much easier to find than in windows!

Events makes it so easy to pick a photo and see what's in the folder. Come on, get rid of the hard windows way and come over to the easy side of mac!

Comment

Eric Piercey

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2006
Perpetual Bondage
Yep iPhoto does do what you ask for, and well.

I prefer lightroom myself but that costs a decent chunk of change. For simple organization iPhoto is pretty decent.

Comment

tibi08

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Brighton, UK
What? How exactly is Events a 'bodge'? I wasn't convinced about iPhoto myself until Events was introduced, which entirely converted me. It solved all of my iPhoto issues. Now I have a folder for each set of photos, and can preview what's in each folder by moving my mouse over it. Genius.

I couldn't disagree more.

Comment

isleofjib

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2007
CT
i've been having issues with this too. iphoto '08 is great for the family album. events is very cool and importing is a snap. however, using it to manage existing photo albums is a pain. i also hate how whenever i import stuff with iphoto, there isn't a seperate folder/file for it. everything is kept in a "library" that can't be opened or browsed thru except with iphoto (if i'm missing something here, someone please enlighten me).

i really miss xnview from my windows days. i keep waiting for the mac version but he keeps pushing back it's anticipated release date.

Comment

skybolt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
Nashville, TN, USA
Every time you import into iPhoto, a new "roll" (read folder) is created. In the new iPhoto it is called an "event". You can rename these rolls or events to more appropriately let you know what is in each. There is NEVER a need to go into the library in finder! iPhoto is doing exactly what you are asking for! Just let it and don't micromanage like you have to in Windows! Work from within the app and all will be well! Forget the library in finder -- pretend it does not exist!

Comment

wwooden

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
Every time you import into iPhoto, a new "roll" (read folder) is created. In the new iPhoto it is called an "event". You can rename these rolls or events to more appropriately let you know what is in each. There is NEVER a need to go into the library in finder! iPhoto is doing exactly what you are asking for! Just let it and don't micromanage like you have to in Windows! Work from within the app and all will be well! Forget the library in finder -- pretend it does not exist!
Yeah, I've never understood why people struggle with this idea with iPhoto. I never go to find my photos in the finder, always through iPhoto. It is just like iTunes; you wouldn't go through the finder and into the iTunes music folder to player a song, you open up iTunes.

Comment

goodtimes5

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2004
Bay Area
Yeah, I've never understood why people struggle with this idea with iPhoto. I never go to find my photos in the finder, always through iPhoto. It is just like iTunes; you wouldn't go through the finder and into the iTunes music folder to player a song, you open up iTunes.
Windows users have the hardest time understanding that a program can do everything for you. I know someone who must micromanage her music files into folders by artist, and yet she uses iTunes. I told her that iTunes can do this for her, but she hates how iTunes also creates album folders inside of the artist folders.

I asked her why this even matters when you only listen to music through iTunes, and you never actually touch the files after. She said because it has to look pretty.

Why in the world does the folder organization have to look pretty if you're never going to click on the files after importing them to iTunes?

I want to switch her to Mac, but I have a feeling that she would just go insane with iPhoto.

Comment

byakuya

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
being a rather recent switcher myself I have to admit that I still have some windows habits that need to be eliminated;)

however, one application that I really wish would get a mac version is picasa. having gmail, blogging on blogger, etc. I'd really like to see this.

However, I do think iPhoto is good at what it does...like many people have stated here.

Comment

isleofjib

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2007
CT
and what do you do when you need to upload a photo somewhere for a website? include it in an email? send it to a friend in an IM? without being able to browse for the photo in Finder, how do you locate it and do something with it? i take exception to the line of thought that just because you don't need to do it, i shouldn't need to do it either. especially when i can't seem to do what i want to do without having to go into finder to do it.

Comment

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
and what do you do when you need to upload a photo somewhere for a website? include it in an email? send it to a friend in an IM? without being able to browse for the photo in Finder, how do you locate it and do something with it? i take exception to the line of thought that just because you don't need to do it, i shouldn't need to do it either. especially when i can't seem to do what i want to do without having to go into finder to do it.
I drag it from iPhoto to the desktop if I need to put it somewhere else like a web site. If I want to send it via e-mail I click on the photo and then click on email. If I want to send it to a friend via IM I drag it from iPhoto to the IM client. Just use iPhoto like you would use Finder in a sense.

Comment

goodtimes5

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2004
Bay Area
You drag the photo from iPhoto to wherever you want it. Such as Mail or your desktop. Keeps the original in iPhoto, creates a copy for you to do whatever you want to it.

Comment

isleofjib

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2007
CT
i guess i don't see the reason i need to open another application just to do that. i appreciate the tip on HOW to do it because i didn't know. but i'd rather not have to open iphoto just to get at a photo. hope that makes sense.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.