I'm sick of losing flashdrives, can I use my hard-to-forget iphone instead?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by roisin and mac, Nov 3, 2010.

1. roisin and mac macrumors 6502

Hi there, I try to always have a flashdrive with me, just in case. And I always use one when I wanna go and have proper prints made of my SLR photos.

But they're a constant pain in my @ss! grrr. I used to have a normal sized one (even a little big), but it was too bulky if you like to travel light as I do, so I ended up leaving it behind and never having it handy when I wanted it. Then I got a teensy pqi one, but that's been very, very easy to lose and even forget at the print shop.

I have heard a lot of methods that let you use the iphone in the same way I use the drives: using free apps, paying apps, external accessories, and for both jailbroken and non-jailbroken iphones. So I know it can be done, and there are lots of ways, too. But to look at just the pages, it's hard to assess which of all these is actually worth bothering with, so I am turning to good ole macrumors forums for that info. So: which is your preferred way of using the iphone to carry files? Once I have a few options I'll even add a poll :)

I have a 3GS with iphone os 4 on it, which is not jailbroken (and I don't want to do it either), I don't object to having to pay for an app if it's good, and I carry a 30-pin cable with me anyway (so if it plays into the flashdrive solution, it's no problem).

2. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Assuming there was a solution, you'd have to jailbreak your phone.
    Why don't you wear your drive around your neck?

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Even if jailbroken, it requires the use of wifi or iTunes. This works in most cases, unless you’re like me and your work doesn’t allow iTunes and you there is no wifi access to the computer. The point is, you can’t use an iPhone like a USB flashdrive.

4. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

i-Funbox (excellent file manager for the iPhone) has a 'general storage area' where you can use the built in flash storage to store random files.

You need this software installed to read the iPhone's files though (ie it won't appear as a generic drive in Explorer or Finder- you need to install the software to view the files).

Not sure if you need jailbreak to do this- I'm assuming you do though.

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

ive heard the free app USB Disk does this and uses the USB cable from what i read users like it

6. ZGXtreme macrumors regular

ZGXtreme

7. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

I use Filer, an iPhone app. It's awesome. Great Dropbox integration. Good developer that's active on MR, too.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Yes you can. USBdrive does this. However, you have to remember to always bring your iphone usb cable

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The documentation states it requires iTunes. If not, let me know.

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Hmm well from my usage, I plug in my iphone and it instantly pops up in the finder where I then can drag and drop like flash drive

However, all machines I have used did have itunes but didn't seem as if it were required as I never had to open it

Now my only con is that it is not a dynamic flash drive. You must partition out a certain space designated for this purpose. Ideally, I would love to be able to store up to the free space on the phone if need be

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=5437

11. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

12. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I remember researching this app awhile back. It seems some people had problems with it causing problems using iTunes to restore the phone and for syncing. Windows users had other problems (messed up some USB drivers or something like that). Anyway, that’s why I passed on it. So, you think it’s safe?

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I haven't had any issues with it but ymmv:eek:

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I keep getting an error installing the virtual drive. It says I don’t have enough free space, which is BS. I’m using the default mode.

15. sslanchi macrumors regular

sslanchi

I'd say you probably dont have enough free space. The size of the default volume is 2GB. You can change that though.

I will second that 'USBDrive' works like a charm. You just have to switch it between iTunes mode, and Storage mode. In storage mode it will appear in C:drive as a removable drive rather than a camera, and iTunes wont recognize it.

16. -aggie-, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010

-aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I have 10 GB of free space.

I used default mode. Sounds like you didn’t, which is why it worked for you. I’m not too keen on the other modes, since they introduce issues according to the help file.

BTW, it’s called Drive + iTunes mode and Drive Only mode. Also, the default is 1 GB.

Drive + iTunes: In this mode USB Mass Storage will not work on Windows with iTunes or Apple USB drivers installed.:(

Drive Only: Prevents iTunes sync.:eek:

17. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

Probably requires that some of the iDevice drivers that iTunes installs be present - so that's how it would require iTunes.

18. emaja macrumors 68000

There are any number of flash drives you can put on a keychain that will stay secure. LaCie, SuperTalent, IOCell NetDisk (the one I used) all stay secure. They will not come off unless you try.

If you are bound and determined to use your iPhone, go ahead, but there are other solutions out there.

19. Carlanga, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010

Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

USB Drive from dmytro worked perfectly for me on 3.X, Haven't downloaded the app since then, you would need just the USB cable w/ you. It creates a partition that can be access from any computer (no need for iTunes or anything since it was recognized as a pen drive), it worked great when I had it, I even used it in Office Depot one time to make copies of some docs and ppt's one day I couldn't find my normal usb pen drive..

They cause no problems (at least on 3.x), when you select one of them the phone reboots into that mode and when you are done you could leave it as you want or reboot to normal mode. Sometimes I left it for days w/ drive only and had no problems; if you have it on drive only the only thing your computer will recognize is the partition which is why iTunes can't see the other partition that is the iPhone OS. The app basically is like Disk Utility, it partitions part of the HD to pen drive format and loads the appropriate drivers for usb connection... I always used Default or drive only, I didn't like to use the combo since I though the computer might get confused somehow and cause problems...

20. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

21. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The issue with Drive Only is that if you had it on that setting and for some reason your iPhone crashed and needed to be restored, then you’d be SOL. Too bad the default setting doesn’t seem to work for me (iPhone 4 on 4.0.1).

22. Orion126 macrumors regular

USB Drive was updated to 1.1 today (Feb 15).

Currently creating a 3GB partition so haven't tested it but will update if it works fine.

23. japjoe7 macrumors member

japjoe7