I'm Sick of WoW. What should I play now?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Huntn, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Ya never know the day may come. Still having a great time with WoW, sorry. :) I've been exposed to many MMOs and in the fantasy realm, none can take WoW's place (so far). Most of the fantasy based MMOs seem to be trying to be like WoW. Two examples- Vanguard and LOTRO.

However, I'm not looking for more ways to glorify WoW, but to open my eyes. I am curious of those people who burned out on Wow, what did you do to replace it? And how does your replacement game stand up to WoW? I'm really curious about players who jumped to other MMOs. Are you satisfied?

2. motoxpress macrumors 6502

Getting burned on WoW:

It happens quite easily and now, the only thing that really reinvigorates my interest is either leveling a new class or playing with friends or family. Otherwise, meh.

Other games:

I have not found an MMO that I like as much. There are a couple of new games coming out that look like they have potential like the Star Wars and another called Aion.

Personally, I go back to other genre. I am a big TF2 and COD4 fan. I also like RTS games and will even pull out the old school Age of Empires series. Warcraft 3 is also a great RTS that will actually give you some good background on the lore in WoW.

-mx

3. theimacdude macrumors member

theimacdude

RuneScape!!!

Awesome MMO, Browser based also. Its free, then you can pay for premium, which is just £3.50 per month, which gives you access to more items, locations, quests, and much more!
    Last year it got a HD Version, and it looks awesome =D

4. DdMac679 macrumors member

DdMac679

MMO wise I still have not found a worthy time sink. After turning in my WoW career of +4 years I started playing TF2, COD, Diablo II, Starcraft and haven't missed it since. I am looking forward to seeing what the new FFXIV and Star Wars MMO's will bring to the table but till then I'll enjoy my non-MMO addiction.

5. zp3dd4 macrumors member

Heroes of Newerth is pretty good sofar. They are giving out beta keys on facebook pretty soon again.

6. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

Eve

Currently, I've gotten hooked on the Civilization series again. (CIVII ftw). trying to get to King level on Civ 4.

Have you ever tried EVE? If you like a space-opera/place where you can pretty much do anything, and be genuinely good/bad, it might be up your street.

And with the spec management, there is possibly an completely endless amount of combos, classes. And if you want, you can really micro-manage. Pretty sure you can get a free 30 day trial from the eve website.

Be careful though. WoW to EVE is what simple smoking is to crack cocaine addiction.

At least in my eyes.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

8. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

Years ago I had to choose between Galaxies and Planetside. I chose Planetside and never regretted it but it was a tough decision to turn away from The Force. Any Star Wars MMO world would be compelling. I just don't how diminished the story would be as the world fills with modern gamers. :)

Just took a look at Aion and saw nothing there that would grab me based on graphics alone. There would need to be some innovative game play. Thanks for heads up.

9. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

I don't know how many times I've started up a new game around 6pm with the intention of just playing for an hour of two, and then looking at my watch and finding out it's 11:30.....

..the following morning.

10. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

get old car> fix up> get chicks> lose interest in games.....then you can say you did more than sit at a computer for 1/4 of ur life

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

and were supposes to be at work by 8.....lol
    :p

though i wouldnt know, as i have never really played a computer game aside from like nanosaur or oregon trail back in the day

12. Greenhoe macrumors regular

Do you really need an old car to "get chicks"? Girls haven't made me lost interest in MMOs, I just don't let them know that I play.

I find LOTRO a fun game to play casually, as most people playing the game are more mature and not 10 years old like WoW. Its fun just to take your time and enjoy the game at your own pace.

13. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

For me, the only thing that can compete with a good Blizzard game is a better Blizzard game. When I have the urge to play something and WoW isn't tickling my fancy, more often than not I will fire up Starcraft or WCIII and play some multiplayer or solo campaigns.

The next MMO I play after WoW will almost assuredly be Blizzards next-gen MMO in development (unless Bioware surprises me with SWTOR).

14. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

you can try out some other PC games. notably Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is a very high rated RPG. the second one is a bit longer but i never had enough time to finish it.

of course there is fable/fable II but those are kind of too 'magical' for me

15. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

TF2 and Aion in two months for me. I like PvP and currently WoW's sucks haha. WAR's PvP is pretty fun and I may sub for a month just to mess around while I wait for Aion, but yeah. Played in two beta events and I'm liking it. If WoW's PvP was any good even in the slightest, then there's no contender, but Aion looks to be the next best thing. Very solid, pvE is great and from what I've seen and read PvP is really fun. It's been out for a year or so in Korea and recently China as well.

16. Moriarty macrumors 6502

Nothing. There are better things to life than computer games...

Get out of it while you don't feel the "urge" to play anything

17. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

things like this don't really help the thread. just because someone likes to play games doesn't mean they don't 'get out enough'.

18. madog macrumors 65816

madog

First of all, send me all of your gold and BoE items.

Secondly, do that now. :D

Thirdly, just play other games. There were so many that I wanted to play when I first started WoW, and when I was finally free of its clutches, I was able to enjoy those other games. Now that I'm back into WoW, I don't know if I'll ever finish Fallout 3...

Diablo 3 may be the only thing that can save me...

19. CountBrass macrumors regular

Heroes of Newerth: meh.

Heroes of Newerth gets a huge 'meh' from me.

No computer players! Are they mad? :confused:

That had me uninstalling the beta without even bothering to play it.

20. CountBrass macrumors regular

My wife and I used to enjoy playing LOTRO. Until last summer when we came back from holiday and found my account locked. No explanation. No response to any of my emails or forum posts.

So my wife cancelled her account.

So, personally, I'd advise staying away from LOTRO.

21. pagansoul macrumors 65816

pagansoul

I myself have never gotten into role-playing games, but I do have a set of Star Trek cards that I have not touched in years. I'm a puzzle person and my favorite game is Sudoku.

22. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

KOTOR did not quite click for me, but I did like it's world. Specifically I did not like combat that freezes long enough for you to select attack moves from a list and then restart the action to have them auto-executed. What I really liked was Mass Effect by the same developer (PC/360). Great game! Fable is ok, but lots of alleys in that game. One of my top priorities in any RPG is a big wide open world and Fable was not it.

23. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

How about go and play the game of real life...go for a walk, shoot some hoops, get a bike....try it, it's awesome...and you get laid once in a while too :cool:

24. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I did play Age of Conan forawhile (just after it was released), it was really fun, but as I played I realised that the game wasn't finished and was lacking abit.
    After two months I quitted, i reached about lvl 60 of 80(?).

Might be worth a look now tho, but I don't have time for gaming this time of year, might retry it when the winter comes with storms and minus degs outside :)

25. mslide macrumors 6502a

I finally realized there was a huge world right outside my front door and started playing there instead. Seriously, MMOs (especially WoW) will suck your life away.