I'm so sad :( SIM lock

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Poly, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Poly macrumors 6502

Guys yesterday i went to my local store and picked up my 5S 16gb spacegrey. I was so happy to have it and when i got home, i instantly put my sim card in it.

Well the device had a simlock, of which the salesperson didn't know it is existant on my iphone.

End of story: I returned it and now i'm sitting here without this beauty, waiting for the next try :(

2. Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

Asking an electronic forum for emotional support. Oh man what has the world come to.

3. 808? macrumors 6502a

You bought a full price unlocked iPhone or a carrier locked subsidised version?

4. Poly thread starter macrumors 6502

Full price and the guy said it is unlocked but it certainly was not unlocked.

5. karmamule macrumors 6502

karmamule

Nothing surprising about someone using forums looking for sympathy. Basic human needs don't change even if modes of communication do.

Sorry to hear about that OP...hope it gets resolved soon!

6. WolfSnap macrumors 6502a

Where did you buy it?

7. pmau macrumors 65816

I'm wondering were you bought it. The only carrier selling a locked iPhone 5s this year is Vodafone as far as I know.

T-Mobile announced that they sell them unlocked.

So, where did you buy?

8. Poly thread starter macrumors 6502

Bought it in Germany at a store similar to BestBuy in the US. And yes, the device had a Vodafone netlock. The salesperson was really caring and took the phone back without any questions and he gave me a coupon i can use when i buy the next iphone there or if i need accessoiries.

But imagine my happiness until i inserted the sim :(
    Nothing more sad to happen to an Apple fan^^

9. AceMason macrumors regular

Aw, I'd be really sad if that happened to me too. :( Hopefully you get a new one soon.

10. blhoward2 macrumors 6502

If you bought it from BestBuy, they are locked even if full price. If you bought from Apple, they are unlocked but you must connect to iTunes first and do a restore. Either way, if an AT&T phone you could have just borrowed a sim card to get past activation and then paid $2 for an unlock online.

11. Poly thread starter macrumors 6502

Well seems like noone in Germany has any more 5S and all estimated shipping dates slipped to mid October now... :(