Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JackLawtey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
I have searched and searched and can't find anything, I know that seems insane but it's true!

I'm on 4.. something, I'm not sure how to find out, unlocked with Blackra1n ages ago, I want to upgrade to 5 for the sake of Siri etc but I'm unsure if just using the latest Redsn0w (following the instructions etc) will work? Or will I lose things or come into complications etc?

Again, sorry.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
I have searched and searched and can't find anything, I know that seems insane but it's true!

I'm on 4.. something, I'm not sure how to find out, unlocked with Blackra1n ages ago, I want to upgrade to 5 for the sake of Siri etc but I'm unsure if just using the latest Redsn0w (following the instructions etc) will work? Or will I lose things or come into complications etc?

Again, sorry.

You won't get siri unless you get a new iphone 4s. There is no unlock for iOS 5 yet either. You may should wait.. and read a lot of threads!

Fredericks

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2012
Just backup everything to iTunes, then use aptbackup if you want to reinstall all your jailbreak apps. Then just restore to 5.0.1 and jailbreak with the latest redsn0w which is I believe 0.9.10b4. It is really easy. And for siri, you just install spire. The only hard thing is finding a proxy server.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Yeah, but if the OP is unlocked, then your help will have screwed him over.
Just backup everything to iTunes, then use aptbackup if you want to reinstall all your jailbreak apps. Then just restore to 5.0.1 and jailbreak with the latest redsn0w which is I believe 0.9.10b4. It is really easy. And for siri, you just install spire. The only hard thing is finding a proxy server.

PaulyD

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2010
UK
Yeah, but if the OP is unlocked, then your help will have screwed him over.

This.

Seems no one reads the OP and sees he is unlocked, upgrading to 5.xx without preserving his baseband will really screw him over

JackLawtey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
Thank you very much, guys - I'll wait it out and refrain from blabbing crass commands into my iPhone.

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld

Again, sorry.

If you dont even know where to find your firmware version, name the firmware properly (hint: iOS 5; not 5) then i doubt you have the knowledge to install Siri on your iPhone 4.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
OP, you never said if you were software unlocked or factory/carrier unlocked. Make sure you know the answer. It determines what advice we give you.
If you don't know, you should find out before you do anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.