I'm so tired of owning a home

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by OscarTheGrouch, Aug 6, 2008.

1. OscarTheGrouch macrumors 6502

Yesterday obviously my AC died..

I just got a call from my wife telling me that in our downstairs bathroom, water was dripping from the ceiling.........

someone shoot me now... i think i want to just go back to renting.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

That sucks, man. Your house doesn't happen to be new enough to still have a warranty does it? Worth a shot.

I just got the renewal for my warranty, and I'm debating because I know if I dont renew it, something will break - probably the AC.

3. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

4. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Yeah your luck is about as bad as mine. Both of our bathtubs have been cracked and a few weeks ago I removed part of the wall only to discover my faucet had been leaking behind it for about a year, mold was everywhere. So we bought a new tub, put it in, but only after having to return everything to Lowe's at least twice. In the meantime we've been using the one shower but yesterday I discovered the drain had separated from the bottom of it and the water had been running under the house in the insulation for god knows how long. Then on top of all of that our over the range microwave died and after having to wait five days to buy a new one (I had enough work to do installing the tub) it was finally replaced yesterday. So until the caulk dries on our new tub (has to set at least 36 hours before being exposed to water :rolleyes:) we're using my sisters shower (she lives next door), but if all goes well we will be using the new shower tonight *fingers crossed*

5. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

I'm a proponent of condo living

sure the condo fees are generally high -- but at the end of a 70 to 80 hour work week ... the last thing i want to think about is something NOT working right

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

No yard work either. ;)

7. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

LOL --- yes I thought about that too --- I will also add -- no shoveling snow (I live in Canada)

8. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Holy I know what you mean! One of our toilet tanks was leaking for a while, and it is in a bathroom we don't use, so I shut it off until I get around to replacing the water connection. Well, this weekend I was downstairs in the guest bathroom and happened to look up, and realized that before we caught the leak the little drip ended up soaking part of the ceiling, and the paint had pealed. :(

I have to admit I debated going back to renting just for the sake of not dealing with any of the maintenance. But then again, I got outside in my yard, and we watch movies with a nice sound system, and I appreciate that nobody can knock on my wall or have their music too loud, etc. :D

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I've rented (blah), owned houses (no quite so blah), but now have 2 bedrooms of no work, at all.

Another one for condo living.

And our fees are the best in town. We run the show. ;)

10. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

I was in a townhouse for about 4.5 years, it pretty much blew. First, it backed up to a major highway so I had all kinds of noise, than over the course of the four years I had to deal with a broken AC, leaking windows, a hot water heater that malfunctioned and ruined the main floor, than to top it all off when I went to sell it I found out the fireplace was rusted out and the chimney needed to be rebuilt.

I did sell it, and I bought my parents house in the country. It sits on almost 5 acres. It is a ton of work, and is far from a store (30 min), but the privacy and seclusion are worth it.

If I had to leave here, Id only be able to afford a townhouse or a condo, out of the two Id take the condo. Alot less maintenace for the same level of privacy.

11. OscarTheGrouch thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't even want to think about what's going on behind my walls. I bought this money pit knowing it needed some work. However, not a few months after I bought it, my job at the time cut my hours back and cut our commission by about 50%, so the extra income we had was spent scrambling to re arrange bills and stuff...

so i got a new job, which i had for three years.. it was a little better- allowed us to pay our bills, but not much else.

Then I got laid off last September, and finally got an OK Job in December... with a baby due April of this year...

So its been stressful, i need someoen else to worry about things for a while.

12. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Oscar, wow, that explains the "just pack up and move" thread and would definitely add to the stress of owning a home. In the current market, just selling and going back to rent doesn't seem to be a really viable option in many places, definitely not where I am, not sure about LV.

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

14. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Maybe the OP should consider a redneck mansion instead =p
    http://www.sonnyradio.com/redneckmansion.htm

Well, the benefit of having a house is more privacy, trade off is more expenses.

When people buy a house, or anything, you need to include the cost of maintainence and upgrades in your budget.

15. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Bad luck...... Sorry to hear that. But I will never (if possible) live in a condo/apartment. I love my house and love owning my house. I love the fact I don't have to listen to other people next door via a common wall etc. Love the fact I don't have to deal with courtyards, kids running around etc. No need to get a hold of the condo association/land lord to make repairs... waiting around for them to come by. No thanks.

Let me ask you this, did you like the house before you started to have a couple problems?

But to each his own. Best of luck with what ever discission you make.

16. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

I hate my condo so much. If you're in the Portland Oregon area, you can have the POS for free.

17. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Just closed on our first home last week. We could not be anymore excited!

I feel you pain, but just not yet for us -- our home was built in 2004 -- we shouldn't have any immediate issues.

However, if you go back to renting you will just be paying someone else's mortgage.

LOL

18. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Deal! I've always wanted a second place, and the Northwest sounds mighty fine.

19. OscarTheGrouch thread starter macrumors 6502

LOL, actually that was brought on by an entirely different set of stressors than the home ownership issue. I'm not looking to MAKE any money on my house, and there are quite a few house flippers in my area that im sure would take it off my hands for what is owed on it..

i dont really care about paying someone elses mortgage right now, but it would be an opportunity to drop back and punt etc, and see if where i am living is really where we want to stay. its time to make that decision anyways.. im 30 yrs old lol.

20. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I say the home improvement costs, at least in my experience, are far higher. The CNN Mad Money guy, Kramer or Cramer I think it is, believes the we still have not hit the low in the real estate market. He thinks it will drop another 18 months.

21. mahashel macrumors 6502

mahashel

My house has been on the market 8 months.
    I think I can count the number of showings it's had on one hand.
    The market is AWFUL right now..
    While the US GOV continues bailing out lenders, we homeowners (who are actually trying to scrape by without going into foreclosure) remain screwed. :(

22. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

When the Wall Street types started talking about the first big housing dip in 60 years, the real estate agents were skeptical about their 20% percent drop prediction.

Today, those same real estate agents are making predictions even scarier than Wall Street. Depending on your specific house, the market in your area, and the recession overall, a house can lose half its value from the 2005-06 peak value. Many other homes will lose a third of their value from the peak before this is all over.

23. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Thanks. That news made my day.

24. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I'd say ... I continue to be freaked out. :eek:

25. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Well, just keep in mind all you proponents of condo-living -- yes there's less maintenance and upkeep, but I don't care how new your place is or how well it's built, if you have annoying/noisy/loud neighbors living above/alongside of you, they will drive you crazy. And if it's not the noise, it'll be something else they do that pisses you off (scroll down about 1/4 of the way..."Cart it away"). You'll always have neighbors, but at least with a house there's more than just some drywall and studs separating you.

And yes, I live in a condo.