I'm sorry about another "upgrade thread", but I'm genuinely confused, and not whining

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mattcube64, Jun 7, 2010.

1. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

Hi guys!

I understand I signed a contract, and if I luck out, I luck out. So, I'm not saying I HATE AT&T or anything (even though I do ;p)

In any case, though.

If I, like a lot of people, bought a 3GS on launch last summer, on June 18(?) in the US; shouldn't we all be eligible for new phones right now?

I know it's a two year contract, but I thought the standard upgrade time was 18 months. So, 18 months from mid-June of last year is mid-December of this year. And, since AT&T said anyone that has an upgrade date that's up in December or earlier, could upgrade now.

So, why does mine, and most people's, still say February of 2011?

Thanks for any help!

2. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

if you bought it on launch your definately eligible. I bought mine on July 22nd and im eligible right now dial *639# to check you upgrade availability.

3. mattcube64 thread starter macrumors 65816

mattcube64

I just did again, to double check, but unfortunately, no, it says I'm still not eligible for a full upgrade until 2/20/2011.

4. khongaeng macrumors regular

Completely agree with OP. I bought my 3GS on launch day and I'm thoroughly confused as to why I still show Feb 20, 2011 as my upgrade eligibility date, in light of Steve's comment about AT&T's "generous" offer to shorten eligibility requirements by 6 months.

Is the standard 18 months upgrade only for people who spend uber-dollars each month?

5. absolutic macrumors regular

Did not I read somewhere that they shortened it to 6 months?

Did not I read somewhere that they shortened the period of allowing to upgrade to 6 months from 1 year?

My question is actually is the upgrade price with 2 year contract is the same. Because if it is the same $199, it is a no-brainer, buy a new phone and immediately sell my 3gs on craigslist and I will get at least $200 and probably more, so it will be like a free upgrade. Provided upgrade price is the same as they announced.

6. sal macrumors 6502

i bought mine on the day it became available and says I am eligible.

maybe they also check if you've been a good customer. you owe them any money? late on your payments. I am not saying this is the case, it's just a guess as to why some people's upgrade eligibility might be different.

7. khongaeng macrumors regular

I believe that the upgrade time frame has been shortened by 6 months not to 6 months. So people typically allowed to upgrade after 18 months can now upgrade after 12 months, assuming the 18 month anniversary is by the end of 2010.

Our question is why do some people appear to have 24 month upgrade schedules instead of the 18 month upgrade schedule?

8. khongaeng macrumors regular

I'm enrolled in autopay, and according to the website I am one of AT&T's "valued customers" and by valued, I think they mean screwed over as I live in an area with no 3G and hardly any EDGE coverage, but I have the privilege of shelling out $30 a month for data...but that's a different story altogether

9. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I purchased a 3GS on launch day and my upgrade date was November 2010 for the longest time until I added a fan discount which brought my monthly bill down to about $72 excluding taxes and fees. Now it says February 2011. The earlier upgrade eligibility dates correlate to higher monthly bills. AT&T has come out and said this before -- if your monthly bill is something like $100 or more before taxes you get earlier upgrade dates.

10. SeanZy macrumors 6502a

To the OP and others with this issue:

I too have the same problem. I called ATT and got it cleared up. The main reason for this would be the amount of money paid ON YOUR LINE. Meaning, if you are not the primary line on the account, then you probably will not be eligible for upgrade.

Other than that, if you are the primary line, you are probably not paying a high enough bill to make you eligible for the 18 month period. I will just be using my moms primary line upgrade to go to the iPhone 4.

What I just said applies to those who bought the 3GS on launch date (like me). If you bought it two or three months after, I have no clue why you would feel entitled to an upgrade.

11. absolutic macrumors regular

oh by 6 months.....I see. I guess I misread it. I think I have my iphone 3Gs since September, but I have been paying them about $200 a month for two lines, so maybe they will be nice to me:D

12. khongaeng macrumors regular

I have a FAN discount (family plan) as well, but I pay between $99 and $101 each month (depending on how many text messages I use) - if $100 is a hard stop, somebody at AT&T needs to get slapped.

13. khongaeng macrumors regular

The morons at AT&T screwed up my account when I signed on 2 years ago, and I am actually on the second $9.99 line instead of the primary line, even though I am listed as the account holder. I certainly hope that what you said is not fact, but just garbage that some under-informed AT&T CSR told you. I talked to a CSR earlier today, before the announcement and they gave me a load of garbage, even less informative than what you got.

I agree with you completely

14. SeanZy macrumors 6502a

No it definitely is fact. I have dealt with this before in the past.

Upgrades all depend on when you renewed a contract, as well as the amount you are paying on your bill.

She explained to me clearly, my moms iPhone 3G is eligible because it is the main line on the account and has the bulk of the charges on it (in the area of 100).

My line however is a $9.99 line, with only the iphone data plan making it a total of 40 dollars. Which is why my line is upgradeable in February rather than December, and why i cannot upgrade directly to the iPhone 4 on my line.

And I spoke with a manager because of other issues I was trying to sort out.

Your best bet is to explain what happened before, and have them switch you to the main line again and hopefully honor that as making you eligible for an upgrade.

15. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

if your bill is less than 100 monthly you will have to wait a bit longer

16. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

My contract expires in November 2010. I was up for an upgrade in May, but once I sold my iPhone they took the data plan off, which bumped my upgrade back to July 14th.

Am I able to get the iPhone 4 with the full upgrade pricing since my contract expires in 2010?

17. outphase macrumors 65816

The "child" lines in my family plan are at Feb 2011. The "parent" line was at 11.20.10 after I added unlimited texting.

18. oldschooldude macrumors regular

No Commitment Pricing?

Has AT&T given this for the new iPhone 4 yet?

19. khongaeng macrumors regular

Not as far as I can tell, and their site doesn't even reflect the announcement of the new iPhone 4. If they follow the same pattern they did for the 3GS last year, they will have 3 tiers (but initially last year even that top tier required a 2 year commitment)

32GB new contract or upgrade = $299
    32GB early upgrade = $499 + $18 early upgrade fee
    32GB purchased straight out but requiring 2 year com. = $699

20. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

I bought the 3GS on release day last year, and I am eligible. Guess it is on a case-by-case basis based on how much your monthly bill is? I have no idea.

21. khongaeng macrumors regular

Well, I just called AT&T and switched my iPhone line to be the primary line. I'm crossing my fingers that this will work. Under my iPhone I will now show $59.99 (family plan) + $30 = $90. The CSR informed me that it didn't change my upgrade date however, it still shows feb 2011.

He also said that typically the primary line is allowed to upgrade every 18 months while the children lines are typically every 21 to 24 months, but he couldn't find any documentation to support that claim.