I'm sorry but the iPhone X shortages were pure BS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sir Ruben, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Sir Ruben, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017

Sir Ruben macrumors 68000

Sir Ruben

Hi All,

My SG iPhone X arrives today and I feel like a kid on Christmas day, or should that be Xmas day?

Anyway, excitement aside I can't help but feel that all of the shortage rumours were nothing but pure BS. As everyone with a bit of common sense knows, humans will gravitate to something they think will be difficult to have. Its human nature. Everyone wants the latest must have thing, even if you have to pay MORE! Wouldn't that be ideal if you were trying to sell a product with such a high price tag and were unsure of the response? Hmmm...

It all started with the analysts saying that manufacturing was slow due to the high tech nature of this super product and that supplies would be severely constrained into 2018. I myself bought into this along with everyone else and there was widespread panic in the comments sections of every article. Now however, Apple have miraculously solved all production issues, ramped up production significantly, and not only that managed to load them all onto cargo planes, and ship them around the world. Awesome right?

So, here we are today and the reality is that there are plenty in the Apple stores and with carriers (remember when people were predicting that stores would have a few units each? lol), and online orders are continually being brought forward. I think its safe to say that everyone who wants the £1000.00 iPhone X in 2017 will not be disappointed.

Apple are the masters of spin, and spin it they did! Bravo, well played Timmy you old dog you! :)

2. Apples n' Stone macrumors 65816

Apples n' Stone

Sadly, not the case in all countries - my order for 13th-20th has had no change and I have subsequently got next day delivery form Argos! (UK) Happy to hear you'll get yours bud but plenty of people have suffered from the shortage!

3. Sir Ruben thread starter macrumors 68000

Sir Ruben

But the 13th isn't even that far away and the likelihood is, it will probably be brought forward.

4. Apples n' Stone macrumors 65816

Apples n' Stone

Nobody in the UK (with the exception of Launch day) has a delivery date ahead of that - we have missed out on the "Batch 2" in the US before then - and some people have received later dates. 8:05 our store was only accepting certain people's orders and there were lots of issues.

5. Sir Ruben thread starter macrumors 68000

Sir Ruben

I'm in the UK and have a delivery date of today with no issues at all??

EDIT: Hang on, are you saying you didn't order on launch day and you think the 13th is unreasonable??

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

A lot of people here, myself included, were pointing to the 55 countries at launch (far more than EVER) as evidence something was up. Serious supply issues and the vastest global launch in iPhone hisotry don't exactly go together well.

7. Hoosier317 macrumors 6502a

Hoosier317

...you realize they haven’t stopped making them each and every day, right? Also, production issues have likely improved over the last several weeks and they have been able to ramp up that production. It’s really not surprising. There were issues meeting quotas. Now there are fewer. If anything, it appears they have been able to increase their efficiency.

8. Apples n' Stone macrumors 65816

Apples n' Stone

Lucky! Like I said, other than lance day there is this big gap. Some people were unable to get the same luck you did, so although it's fortunate for some not everyone was as lucky!

9. Sir Ruben thread starter macrumors 68000

Sir Ruben

Yeah you are right, they wouldn't have drummed up hype to increase sales /s

10. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

Exactly same window here. Not the slightest improvement.

11. Apples n' Stone macrumors 65816

Apples n' Stone

I think you're missing the point, demand was far beyond supply and therefore some people will need to wait longer than what they were told when they begun their payment -

12. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

13. Apples n' Stone macrumors 65816

Apples n' Stone

Next day from Argos mate! John Lewis is currently down but that was the other option. I just woke up f early for no reason - I think it was the spirit of Francis

14. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

Don't know about him but I ordered 8:08, and expecting it 13-20 of Nov. I was refreshing from 8:00 but no luck.

15. Sir Ruben thread starter macrumors 68000

Sir Ruben

Just to clarify did you order on launch day or not, and did you try and order directly from Apple? I don't see what the issue was.

16. Braddrum macrumors 6502

Braddrum

Told me 03/11 when I hit place order, confirmation e-mail said 2-3 weeks when it came through at 08:06. Now stuck on 13-20th with no movement.

Store wouldn't load before that for me.

17. Sir Ruben thread starter macrumors 68000

Sir Ruben

I'm in the UK and mine was ordered and confirmed via Apple by 8:04.

18. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

I remember people were predicting in polls with myself included that if you didn’t pre-order in 5 minutes when pre-order became available you would not be getting one until 2018

19. Hoosier317 macrumors 6502a

Hoosier317

It wasn’t Apple who suggested there would be issues with meeting demand. You clearly have no understanding of how this works. Suggestions of shortages were about far more than hype. They were about production issues with various components, as well as other concerns.

20. ic-v macrumors newbie

It's probably good to note that Apple and Nintendo have been battling for lcd screens since they use the same factories for the iOS devices and the Switch and Nintendo Switch shipments while very hard to come by through much of the summer vastly improved over the last month-in-a-half, so it would only stand to reason that the supplies for the iPhone while originally appearing dire have been improved upon drastically in the last few weeks as well. I say this as someone who's a videogame enthusiast and while I managed to get a Switch because I pre-ordered launch-night within minutes (not unlike how many of us here do with iOS devices) the news for most of this year was that the demand was constantly outpacing the supply for the system and only fairly recently have you been able to order one online rather than having to constantly hunt around local Best Buys, Walmarts, Gamestops, etc. to try to score one.

If anything I'd say the supply shortage rumors weren't lies so much as they persisted with the same degree of alarm for longer than was accurately representative of the reality of the situation. I was quoted a November 10th delivery when I ordered but mine's coming later today instead.

21. Qedty macrumors newbie

Agreed OP. To the people that are mentioning a slightly later date, I mean come on it's very minimal. Many people were predicting 2018 shipments. So this reality is nothing compared to what the expectation was.

Will it satisfy the instant gratification of everyone? No, but it's the closest I've ever seen Apple come to that.

Many don't realize there will be availability in store too tomorrow. If you really really want a phone now and have a few weeks out shipment date. Go hit up stores upon opening tomorrow if you can swing it. (Very few stores require a overnight line up unless you live 5 feet from Times Square and that's the only store around)

22. PHILIP1193 macrumors regular

Same for me. I had confirmation come through at 8:12 and I'm 13-20th November store didn't even come up until 8:08 for me.

What's annoying for me is that there was a big shortage of phones but they still launched in 55 country's.

23. Apples n' Stone macrumors 65816

Apples n' Stone

Yes, I got up and ordered within 2 minutes of being able to actually get on the store (08:06) The issue is so many people despite doing that will receive theirs later. I know you want to be right but it's fairly simple what the issue is... lower supply than demand but we expected that.

24. Zune55 macrumors 6502a

Zune55

Apple never said that they were in short supply. It’s the articles you read was assuming it.

25. Apples n' Stone macrumors 65816

Apples n' Stone

The point of the OP is that supply not meeting demand was fake news, if supply was adequate to demand of a pre order - where people received launch day when they added it to their basket, hey would receive these on launch day. It's no the end of the world but getting the tin foil hat out saying Apple did it as a marketing tool is BS