I'm Sorry But What's The Point Of Reading List?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by John Mang, Jul 20, 2011.

1. John Mang macrumors member

It's practically just a fancy looking bookmark. It's sad really, if it had offline viewing, it would make sense; but that's the thing, it doesn't! Well I guess it's back to saving webpages for me..

2. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

You should be able to save it to your Reader List, they'll even sync with your iPhone and iPad when iCloud starts up. You should probably learn to use it before trashing it. Just sayin.

3. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

The point is that the pages disappear from the list once you've read them. They don't hang around forever.

It'll be more useful when iOS5 comes out this fall.

4. TheGdog macrumors 6502

TheGdog

Offline mode would be a must IMO. I can't really see myself using it. However if you want to save stuff for offline reading try Evernote.

5. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Personally I use ReadItLater right now to do this exact thing, so I'll give Reading List a try. Sometimes you don't have time to read something right away (I find this to be the case with a majority of things people link to on Twitter), but you want to come back to them later at your leisure, but making a formal bookmark for them would be overkill.

6. Phlebas8717 macrumors newbie

Phlebas8717

It seems like a good idea to me. For years, I have had a bookmark folder called "Interesting Things" that I use for articles that I come across and want to read, but don't have the time to do at the moment. I do feel bad for the Instapaper people though. It must suck to have you idea stolen like that.

7. John Mang thread starter macrumors member

See people do get what I was saying.. anyway you guys are absolutely right. It would be quite useful when iCloud comes around, but without it seems rather pointless. I think for the average user without a iPhone or iPad, they should've added a offline reader feature.

8. benj07 macrumors member

Extremely useful feature, in my opinion. Shift + Click makes it really easy to save pages for later reading.

9. Cinder6 macrumors 6502

Cinder6

I think it's a nice way to bookmark things you'll read once and not have to deal with the clunkier bookmark manager.

10. rickhorn macrumors member

rickhorn

it's a temporary bookmark for anything interesting for about a day or two.

11. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

also, you can add pages to your reading list by simply shift-clicking the link.

it's far more comfortable than bookmarking and the entire point is them being a 'read later' feature for sharing those links with your other iOS devices.