Im starting to think that the montevina mbp is not worth the wait but the nehalem is

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jjahshik32, May 3, 2008.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Judging from the recent iMac update (I know that the imacs are not montevina but they are similar in spec because of the front side bus is upped to 1066mhz and RAM is upped to the 800mhz both at 2.8Ghz) and seeing all the geekbenches it bests the previous gen iMac (with 800mhz frontside bus with 667mhz RAM) by only about 150 points and maybe 200 at best.

If anything the montevina mbp's higher clock speed at 2.8 and possibly 3.0 will only help improve in speed (I'm guessing the 2.6ghz will become the lower end with crippled cache again).

I guess the only advatage of the montevina would be wimax, GPU (which maybe the only significant improvement in gaming/3d modeling).

But I think nehalem is the one to really look foward to, to see a significant upgrade.

2. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I would agree, the big "N" is what I am waiting for. A lot of people are passing up the current models in favor of "M" which will bring in a new mother board, but I have a feeling that the improvement in speed won't be that substantial.

The biggest jump in speed that i have seen so far has been the G4 --> Intel transition and if you came from a 2.16 (myself) to a Penryn. The Penryn/SR to Penryn/"M" won't be a heart stopping moment for me, but i hear that "N" will be the big jump to dual 2.8/3.0 processors and a major improvement in FSB, battery life, and heat control (from what I remember :confused: )

Either way, don't wait for a breakthrough redesign or speed bump in the next model, even if you don't need one now. Get the current machine, skip the beta testing of a new design, and pick up a MBP with "N" and enjoy the best of both worlds; having a Penryn MBP now, and getting a much faster and improved rumored redesigned MBP in two years or less.

3. Pickoff macrumors member

The reason I will be waiting (hopefully) for M is that I have to go to school in September and I cant really wait for N. I am not getting a current model because I can wait for the better upcoming model, with a case design. I am no fan of the current case design.

4. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

yup

thats what im doing

i'll be in the apple store some time the week they come out:D

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You may be waiting longer than you'd like.

6. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Montevina will be nice in some ways.

Blu-ray Codec support
    Wimax
    DisplayPort support (How's running a 30" LCD with ONE CABLE sound?)

Though honestly Nehalem is what's getting wood right now.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'm starting to think nothing is worth waiting for and the time to buy anything is now!

You will always find ways to find that a future product is not worth getting and the one after it is.

8. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

So true ....if I had my druthers I'd wait until they perfected that neural stem knowledge transmogrifer used in The Matrix. But then again I hate being a guinea pig.

Talk about a painful early adoption.

9. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

We can do that now, it's the firewire and usb cables that are the "extra" attachments that need to be made. :D

10. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

It's worth the wait if you can't wait any longer and you've been waiting for a year....

I just want a graphics update. Come on Nvidia.

11. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I bought this one knowing full well updates aren't tooo far off. I do not want the first version of a redesigned MacBook - no way, no how.

This BlackBook is fast, stable, cool and really nice to use. More importantly to me - there are no systemic problems inherent to the design.

12. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

Nehalem is much more than some minor improvements to the core architecture. In fact, it's going to the largest architecture change since the Pentium Pro architecutre.

Nehalem is going to drop the FSB. In the current Intel platform, the memory controller is located on the northbridge. Basically, the data goes from memory, to northbridge/memory controller, then to the CPU. It's incredibly dated and AMD replaced it back around 2003 with their 64-bit processors. Nehalem is going to feature and integrated memory controller. Basically, the memory controller is going to be on the CPU, like in an AMD K8 or above, CPU.

Also, hyperthreading will be re-implemented into the architecture. It's something that was present in the Netburst architecture, but was not implemented into the Core 2 architecutre.

Also, I wouldn't expect 2.8 ghz - 3.0 ghz speeds at first.

The Nehalem architecture is going to be quite a bit different from the Core 2 (there will still be similarities, since Nehalem is going to be derived from the Core 2 architecture), so you can't compare clock speeds. You can't really say that a 3 ghz Core 2 Duo is faster than a 2 ghz Nehalem processor. Just like you can't say that a 3 ghz Pentium 4 is faster than a 2.0 ghz Core 2 Duo processor. So don't be disappointed if you don't see 2.8-3.0 ghz CPUs at release.

What this does is reduce latency, since it takes away one of the "steps" that is required to get the data to the CPU (and vice versa). With the memory controller on the CPU, the data will go from the memory straight to the CPU. This eliminates what is now known as the FSB.

13. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

You just got me excited for nehalem! :D I will gladly skip montevina and wait for nehalem.

14. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Yeah Nehalem should be good but the thing is i dont see it making its way into Apple computers until around Q3 09 which is a long time away in computing time

15. Kaupa macrumors regular

That makes me want to buy applecare and keep my 2.4 merom till then:))

16. shoarthing macrumors member

. . . good thread.

Montevina obviously a *big* deal for the Macbook; much less so for the MBP.

. . . me I suspect we'll see a fairly profound enclosure Montevina MBP redesign tho' . . . reasoning? (as in: reasoning beyond marketing)

I understand the next generation of upper-range mobile GPUs to have a worse thermal budget, no matter how underclocked by Apple; since the CPU budget will be broadly the same [35~ishW] - or even worse if Apple decide to offer a quad - the current MBP's enclosure-as-heatsink paradigm has to step up a notch.

This is basically a surface-area game & makes it likely that Apple will use some form of thermally conductive laptop hinge; in turn making it more likely they'll use carbon composite for the lid.

. . in turn again making it likely they'll go carbon composite for the whole thing.

So my best guess is the Montevina MBP will indeed be a 'revision A' widget, just as much of not more so than the Nehalem MBP.

. . which again will be a *big deal* [for me, at least] because I expect it to coincide with USB3 & affordable (& fully functional) SSDs.

17. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    zactly, and when the redesign comes out, I'll be buying 2 (2.4) refurbished Blackbooks. Mac Books ROCK!:D:apple::apple:

18. Kaupa macrumors regular

Wow, this f****** 1440 screen is amazingly small!. If there is a 1680 or 1920 option on the next update i have to buy. This 15" screen makes me insane! I cant display all my tools i need in archicad and i havent an external screen everywhere.
    Sorry just had to say that because i am so tired of that issue right now...

19. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

its a notebook, its supose to have a small screen, what do you expect?

20. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Thanks for post this and clearing that up for me. I have been reading that "N" will make the biggest changes in future machines. I didn't know if it was "N" or the one after it that would seal the deal for FSBs either.

I grabbed Penryn while the getting was good, and my not so old machine found a new home. I wanted a redesign, but I am willing to wait for "N" which is looking to be a much larger improvement over "M" and if there is a redesign coming for "M" then all the kinks will be worked out by the next revision or so.

So to the OP, just buy now and wait for "N" if you have the means to do so.

21. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

An option for a higher resolution 15" screen is not unreasonable, they offer the choice with the 17" model.

22. DCSMAC macrumors member

IMO computer processors are more than fast for me at this point. the thing im looking forward to is better battery life and more features in the apple notebooks, most notable a blu-ray player in the MBP. to me thats the only thing that it lacks in order to truly make it the prefect laptop.

23. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

Sounds like the Core 3 I have been waiting for. :D

24. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

Yep, I pretty much decided a few months ago that I'd be waiting for Nehalem...

25. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

buy the 17" then