Im still on 3.1.2 with my JB'd 3G - should I upgrade to the latest?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by sdmfer, Oct 29, 2010.

1. sdmfer macrumors member

Is there any added benefits? Im just not sure if there is any performance enhancements or better reliability etc.?

Thanks guys

2. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I don't recommend going higher than 3.1.3 for the 3G. The 4.x.x iOS doesn't run at optimal levels and has even been considered slow by a number of users.
    If you're willing to take the tradeoffs of using 4.1, understand that it'll lock your baseband for 3G. Because you're on 3G, you might be able to reverse it, but I don't use 3G anymore so I can't guarantee that. You should do a search on this to be 100% sure.

3. sdmfer thread starter macrumors member

thanks i'm really pissed off right now with the performance. Sometimes takes 10-15 seconds to open SMS form the home screen. I guess I should definately stay away from 4.1 etc.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If it feels slow now on 3.1.2 imagine how its going to drag on anything past 4.0+
    I'd say stay.

5. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

If you think waiting 10-15 seconds for your SMS to load is bad, it's exponentially worse....even on 4.0. I upgraded my old 3G to 4.0 and it was DREADFULLY slow. I mean to the point where I wanted to throw it at and out the window. Fortunately, some sap on eBay bought it and is stuck with it now :D Yeah. Don't even bother upgrading your 3G. Save yourself some headaches.

6. sdmfer thread starter macrumors member

on a side note, Im impressed with how tough my screen is. It can withstand several repeated bashings on my steering wheel without breaking....yet.

Here;s how the situation generally goes...
    -@*$# phone
    - WOOORRK you bsterd
    -smash smash smash
    - then throw it across the car...usually ends up in the passenger feet area, or somewhere in the back seat.

(the roots tough skin really works)